Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Engine Build 2008 by Mick with over 100 Photos

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Build 2008 by Mick with over 100 Photos

I would first like to introduce myself and my project. My name is Mick, I'm 26 and from Pottsville, PA (Home of Yuengling Beer - America's Oldest Brewery ) I have been working on cars since I was 17 years old. I am a member of WR TEAM (www.wrteam.com) who in 2007 and 2005 won the National Custom Car Association's Best Team in The Nation Title. My first project car was a 1998 VW Jetta, which finished 5th place in the United States last year. I am a 2004 Virginia Military Institute graduate with a degree in Civil Engineering. Due to my "free" education I have to pay the government back with Army Reserve time. I am a 1st Lieutenant and Company Commander of the 369th Fire Fighter Detachment out of Norristown PA. I am also a volunteer city fire fighter.

I bought my EVO IX MR on my 25th birthday and started to modify the car that night. In fact I bought stuff for my Evo even before I bought it. Up until the start of my 2008 build a few weeks ago my modification list was as follows:

Engine
ARC Super Induction Box
DC Sports Downpipe w/ Cat Delete
Greddy Ti-C Cat Back Exhaust
ARC Radiator Shroud
ARC Sparkplug Cover
Cusco Polished Heat Shield
Agency Power Motor Mounts
Titek Carbon Fiber Cam Cover
HKS TT
Walbro Fuel Pump

Suspension
Greddy Front Upper Strut Bar
Cusco Rear Strut Bar
Cusco Trunk Bar
Cusco Front Power Brace
Cusco Lower Upper Power Brace Type II
Cusco Lower Middle Power Brace

Interior
Black Suede Headliner
A, B, C Pillars wrapped in Black Suede
EGT, Oil Temp & Pressure Gauges
Boost Gauge
Autometer Center Console Panel
Rexpeed Carbon Fiber center gauge pod
Carbon Fiber Arm Rest

Exterior
JDM Evo VIII MR Tail Lights
JDM Amber Side Markers
HKS Side Spats
CF Heat Shield

And now onto my 2008 Project Build

The purpose of this thread is to show a detailed modification process of various components of the EVO IX. Like the Title states I have over 100 pictures so far and I am no where near to being done. I started this project about 3 weeks ago after I recently found a great garage to rent. It is perfect for working on cars and it even has a mechanics pit. Since I am already 3 weeks into the build it will take me a couple days to keep this post up to date. Each part that I install I will break off this thread and write up a seperate how to on that part. I will also keep a log of problems that I had and lessons learn that I will continuously update. Besides the great garage and having the correct tools I relied heavily on all of you members out there. So I would like to thank everyone and having a great source of information like this forum is the best tool. Stating that feel free to provide feedback and input on my installs as well as what supporting modifications I should include to the build. And if you want to lend a hand that would be very much appreciated, plus the Brewery Tour is free - with FREE SAMPLES

This thread will go over the following installs for my 2008 Project...

ETS Polished Upper and Lower Intercooler Pipes
ETS 3" Intercooler
ETS 58mm BB Turbo Kit (Polished Full Length Manifold)
ETS Test Pipe
ARP Head Studs
HKS 272 Intake/Exhaust Cam Shafts
Perrin Fuel Rail
Precision 880 cc Injectors
Koyo Radiator
Greddy Profec II EBC
Tein Coilovers
Autopower 4pt Roll Bar
Takata Racing Harness
Boost Leak Test

Week 1

Started off by removing all of the clips for the under panel. Having a pit is great because you can remove the clips without the hassle of laying on the ground.

With the panel completely off you can now remove the front bumper.

Another great tool to have is an extra set of hands. My gf Angela is shown in the next few pictures helping me remove the front bumper. It's great to have a gf that supports the addiction Also remember the IX have the bolts behind two small oval panels that can be removed with a small flathead screw driver.

Angela has now finished removing the top bolts and side bolts of the front bumper. It can now be removed by pulling slighty down on each side to unlatch the bumper to the body.

Once the front bumper has been removed, I now began to work on removing the Cusco Front Power Brace. or if you don't have this great piece you would be removing the front crash beam.

Stock intercooler removal.

Next step was to remove all of the oem pipes. The air intake box or in my case ARC Super Induction Box will need to be removed. Quite a bit of force was needed to remove each section of pipe after loosening up the worm clamp.

New ETS intercooler!! Lines up perfectly with no fitment issues.

Now all of the oem pipes are removed, I started to install the LICP as shown in the next few pictures

Shot of clearance of the ETS LICP and the DC Sports Down Pipe

Now that the LICP has been installed I moved onto the Upper Intercooler Pipe. One thing to remember when installing any pipes is to have something on the ground just in case you drop the pipe. In my case my gf helped me hold the pipe so I did not ruin that nice polished finish.

The ARC Super Induction Box was then bolted back in place along with the battery to test the fitment. There are NO fitment issues with the ETS Upper Intercooler Pipe and the ARC Super Induction Box - Fitment Confirmed

An overall shot and a good close to the first night of working in the new garage. Shortly after the picture was taken I decided that I was going to go for a turbo upgrade. Since I have the time and the right tools I have since removed everything with the exception of the intercooler and Cusco Front Power Brace.

Once again I would like to thank everyone for viewing this thread. Stay tuned for more pictures of my build. I will try to have everything caught up by this weekend.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Current Project Status: DAY 59 of build

Will continuously edit this post to keep everyone updated daily.

ETS Polished Upper and Lower Intercooler Pipes Waiting on shipment of ETS 58mm Trim BB Turbo Kit

ETS 3" Intercooler Installed with NO fitment issues (45 minutes)

ETS 58mm BB Turbo Kit (Polished Full Length Manifold) Stock Turbo is completely off the car. Waiting on shipment of ETS 58mm Trim BB Turbo Kit

ETS Test Pipe Waiting on shipment from ETS

ARP Head Studs Installed with NO fitment issues (1 hour 15 minutes)

HKS 272 Intake/Exhaust Cam Shafts Not installed at this time

Perrin Fuel Rail Installed with NO fitment issues (1 hour 30 minutes)

Precision 880 cc Injectors Waiting for the car to be tuned - will install at tuning site

Koyo Radiator Waiting on ETS Turbo Kit install

Greddy Profec II EBC Wires and vacuum line ran through fire wire. Wired power/ground are now hooked up.

Tein Coilovers Not installed at this time

Autopower 4pt Roll Bar Installed...VERY TIGHT fit (3 hours)

Takata Racing Harness Not installed at this time

Boost Leak Test Waiting on Turbo Kit Install

Transmission Cooler Not installed at this time

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Intercooler Removal/Installation - Page 1
Intercooler Pipes Removal - Page 1
Front Bumper Removal - Page 1
Fuel Rail/Injectors/Regulator Removal - Page 2
Cusco Power Brace Removal - Page 4
Downpipe Removal - Page 4
Valve Cover Removal - Page 5
Radiator Removal - Page 5
Stock Turbo Assembly & Exhaust Manifold Removal - Page 6
Perrin Fuel Rail & Injector Install - Page 7
Greddy EBC Wire/Lines Install (Factory Hole In Fire Wall) - Page 8

Last edited by mick82907; May 18, 2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Project Update
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Problems with the Build & Lessons Learned/Tips

Will edit this daily as well but starting tomorrow because going to bed.

Problems

#1- When removing the injector from the wiring harness I accidently lost the slim metal 'U' bracket. The reason why was because I tried to remove the wiring harness while it was still on the fuel rail. Learn from my mistake removel the rail and then you will have more play in removing the injectors from the wiring harness. To fix my mistake I will make a bracket out of a paper clip You can not buy the brackets, you have to buy the whole wiring harness.

#2- When installing the injectors into the Perrin Fuel Rail I forgot to place a small amount of oil on the orange rubber o-rings. I am glad I removed the injectors because I noticed that 2 of the rings had rips in them. I would have had a fuel leak if I did not double check the injectors. If this happens to you, you can order them from your dealership. They are $12 for 4.

Tips

#1- Take your time. I understand that some guys don't have the means of a second car and use their evo as a daily driver. With any project give yourself enough time to not be rushing. If you need your car for work the next day don't start the project 8pm the previous night. Set small benchmarks and if time permits walk away for awhile and come back.

#2- Make a plan. Sit down and make a plan based on your budget, your needs, and where you want your evo. Sit down and take a few days to plan it all out. You may run into something you can install while you installing another part. Always leave some budget for unexpected items such as lost bolts, special tools, etc.

#3- Do your research. I have been working on cars for awhile but the amount of information out there now adays anyone can do anything. Use this forum and learn from everyone who has been there and done that. That is how I am able to do this build

#4- If you strip a bolt, shear a bolt or mess something up time for a break! You would not believe how easy it is once you mess something up for it to snow ball into something else. There is always a way to fix something, so no need in panicing and breaking something else.

#5- Label all of your wiring harnesses and hoses as you take them off. This will help you remember where they go and it will keep you organized. I usually write on the wiring harness what its for and I use painters tap for all of the hoses. This will work even if you have no idea what the hose is for. By assigning the hose a number and writing the same number where it goes - you can then simply match the numbers.

#6....to be continued

Last edited by mick82907; Apr 12, 2008 at 07:03 AM. Reason: update to project
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

nice....you gonna love your 58 trim turbo....its a beast .
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

very nice , awesome project

cant wait for the updates

mods, when this thread is done, please make it a sticky
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

subscribing.

As a Marine and paid Firefighter, I want to say thank you for volunteering your time to your country and city.

PS, I used to drink Yeungling while I was in infantry school and then stationed in NC.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LayinLo
subscribing.

As a Marine and paid Firefighter, I want to say thank you for volunteering your time to your country and city.

PS, I used to drink Yeungling while I was in infantry school and then stationed in NC.
Hey thanks.. Where do you work as a paid Fire Fighter? The cooler side of the pillow - That's from a Family Guy episode right? haha
Old Apr 10, 2008, 05:14 AM
Account Disabled

Hey, nice looking car. I was looking at your website and I saw 2 cars that looked very very familiar. The gold scion TC is actually sitting on my dyno right now and the white Skyline is sitting on one of our lifts.

Last edited by Tuner@Swift; Apr 10, 2008 at 05:18 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love the pit! i wana do that in my garage!!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mixmastermatt
Hey, nice looking car. I was looking at your website and I saw 2 cars that looked very very familiar. The gold scion TC is actually sitting on my dyno right now and the white Skyline is sitting on one of our lifts.

Thats ausome What kind of number is the TC putting down? We have a guy on the team who is looking to do a supercharger and turbo for the first twin charged Tc. If you haven't checked out my team's site it is definately worth your time.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:31 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mick82907
Thats ausome What kind of number is the TC putting down? We have a guy on the team who is looking to do a supercharger and turbo for the first twin charged Tc. If you haven't checked out my team's site it is definately worth your time.
The TC has some minor issues right now. The shop that did the turbo and meth install messed a few things up, which I spent way too much time correcting last night. Then the Unichip decided to brick during the firmware update, so we're swapping that out for an E-Manage Ultimate. Hopefully it'll be putting down somewhere north of 300whp.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by urslo4n8
i love the pit! i wana do that in my garage!!
Yea its great for finding small bolts or washers that you accidently drop, and its very convient for working underneath the car if a lift is not an option. Unfortunately I believe in the state of Pennsylvania a pit does not meet the new building codes for garages.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice write up... You make me wish I had a pit GL on your build and give your girl a kiss after she helps you like I do with mines.. You have no idea how many EVOm members wish their girlfriend would help them with anything! Take care and I'll be checking back in to see your progress!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Nice MR and welcome! Subscribed!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

wow great thread thanks for keeping us up to date good luck with the build

Quick Reply: Engine Build 2008 by Mick with over 100 Photos