Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Blitz. I just read my quoted post in your thread and I'm chuckling to myself. I said fire sale.........SOOOOOoOOOO appropriate. Spec-Ops was handling the blue car. Its gone in spectacular fashion. They are handling a second Evo I purchased and almost decided to sell immediately.

SpecOps is handling this car. I guess I'm not a quitter. Things will be a little more sane this time.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i should have got the act xtss vs the hdss the pedal push isnt hard at all I could have handled something harder...btw if you havent done shifter bushings BUY THEM NOW. so nice.

Last edited by car_guy507; Oct 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:45 AM

Can you tell me please how do you know that you have to change the shifter bushing??
Thank you!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:30 PM

I'd just change them anyway. Honestly, the difference is that dramatic. Recommended for all Evo's.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
removing my HKS EIDS and caused my engine to stall at low rpm
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Dont really have any regrets, Big thing imo is to know what you want to do with the car ie, track,drag, street. This could help in alot of decissions. Just my two cents, really like this thread nice job O.P.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by domzerozero1
Regretting the fact that i didn't go for the evo that was a couple grand more in price to save me the hassle im in now
^
My situation exactly. To the letter. With the fortune I just spent I could have bought a much nicer, lower mileage Evo that wasn't a hacked up headache. At least i'm not alone in this.

Originally Posted by GhostAWD
Wow...this is one of the most eye opening threads I've ever seen......now all the for sale threads with certain items listed so cheap, make sense.......I think I'm going to start a trend (If not already done) called Factory/Stock/Clean FSC....very glad I came across this thread & OP kudos for starting it... saved me & likely tons of other people countless wasted dollars in unnecessary mods..
This exactly. This thread is very useful, especially when shopping for used parts.

Last edited by slimjim1804; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:10 AM

Wish i kept my daily driver stock, that causes problems..........doh. you know you got issues when you are wrenching the daily on a regular basis.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:38 PM

yea. I bought my evo not knowing about this site. and just went on the web and started buying all sorts of dumb ebay parts (which I will not be using on my evo) One thing that I should have done was buy coilovers instead of the tein s springs on kyb struts because they are crazy uncomfortable.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dnyce
yea. I bought my evo not knowing about this site. and just went on the web and started buying all sorts of dumb ebay parts (which I will not be using on my evo) One thing that I should have done was buy coilovers instead of the tein s springs on kyb struts because they are crazy uncomfortable.
^^ I almost wanted to do this...good thing I never did.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:16 AM

For those interested in exhaust stuff....I actually have a mod i'm happy that came with the car...

I bought my car from a dealership and didn't know it had an aftermarket downpipe and exhaust on it because the catback was so quiet. I bought an HKS hi power exhaust and nvidia downpipe and a gutted 3" hi performance cat(only because the guy sold me all 3 for like 300 bucks, it was too good to pass up)

so i'm with my friends installing those...and a few other mods on the car, and we find out the catback on there is a Tanabe Medallion Touring catback, it didn't seem any heavier than the HKS, and i looked into it, it's not chambered, it's a straight through 3" design, it's just got an amazing pack,

so i figure okay with the straight piped feature it's obviously going to lose that stock noise factor, but it didn't! it's so quiet no one even assumes I have an exhaust, at any range in the RPMs,

so if you're looking for performance and quiet, definitely go with the tanabe medallion touring, for DD of course. It also looks stock which is nice.

for regrets...none yet..wish I could have afforded an IX, especially since my clutch just started slipping last night and i've had the car for 1 month and it has 76k miles on it. fml -_-
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:34 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
deleted

Last edited by FJF; Nov 25, 2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: duh, wrong thread
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:21 AM

Good thread, keep em coming!

I regret not getting an AFR (Air Fuel Ratio for the newbs) gauge sooner! I modded and modded, small things and got street tuned, but I should've gotten an AFR gauge in the beginning. I think one of the hardest parts when i first got my evo was learning where all the vacuum lines were, dear god there are so many, and some are very well hidden.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:50 AM

The previous owner installed them, but I regret that he did: gauges mounted with screws into the steering column cover. They drive me crazy in this location and will be relocated soon. I also wish he had bought the digital AEM wideband instead of the analog gauge- the noise of the motor moving the needle is super annoying!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ninj4sevo8
Good thread, keep em coming!

I regret not getting an AFR (Air Fuel Ratio for the newbs) gauge sooner! I modded and modded, small things and got street tuned, but I should've gotten an AFR gauge in the beginning. I think one of the hardest parts when i first got my evo was learning where all the vacuum lines were, dear god there are so many, and some are very well hidden.

For folks tracking their cars (and presumably tuned), wouldn't an oil pressure gauge be more important? I had a friend who almost blew his engine on track because of low oil p. on his monster craft. Imp upgrade for sure - feedback welcome.

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?