Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX - keys stolen

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Evo IX - keys stolen

So my bro's jacket which held his car keys were stolen... Does anyone know if the keys themselves have a chip inside for ignition? I guess there are 2 common ways to remedy the situation:

1. Buy new key and FOB and have the dealer reprogram them so the stolen key and FOB does not work. I am guessing the cost is around 300 or so. This will make the old key useless for driving, but the perp may open the car manually.

2. Replace all the locks and ignition with a new key and FOB. Reprogram the key and FOB as well rendering the stolen keys completely useless. I am guessing the cost to do this will be more than 1000 USD.

Anyone had their keys stolen and took either steps 1 or 2?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the keys have a chip in them.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Lock the evo up in a garage first.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would do #2 because the guy can just go inside the car and mess around in it. Maybe even steal your seats or something, because everyone loves Recaro's... It may be a huge price tag but it'll be a good investment then having things stolen out of the car that's worth more then $1000.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by bigben
Yes, the keys have a chip in them.
Thanks... so step 1 would be a good remedy.

Originally Posted by oneofakindtrini
Lock the evo up in a garage first.
I forgot to note, my bro's wallet was also in the jacket which has our address. The keys also have our house keys as well (dad and bro went to Home Depot to get all the locks switched out ATM). The car is in a garage right now.

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
I would do #2 because the guy can just go inside the car and mess around in it. Maybe even steal your seats or something, because everyone loves Recaro's... It may be a huge price tag but it'll be a good investment then having things stolen out of the car that's worth more then $1000.
Very true... however budget is a big factor right now. :T
Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

#2 is the way to go, so make sure in the mean time its locked up in a safe place.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by panda007
I forgot to note, my bro's wallet was also in the jacket which has our address. The keys also have our house keys as well (dad and bro went to Home Depot to get all the locks switched out ATM). The car is in a garage right now.

Very true... however budget is a big factor right now. :T
If they know your address, then #2 would definitely be the best choice. Better then having a car missing. Who knows if they're pros at stealing or not. Knowing how to hot wire is just one Google away.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

If they know your address, then #2 would definitely be the best choice. Better then having a car missing. Who knows if they're pros at stealing or not. Knowing how to hot wire is just one Google away.
They know his address AND have his house keys, no good lol. Don't leave the house until the locks are all changed, and I hope you informed the police!
Old Dec 27, 2009, 04:35 PM

yeah i would got this way too
Old Dec 27, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Changing all the locks on your car is a waste of money. If someone wants to get into the car they can easily break a window. Nobody needs a key to enter a vehicle/home.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 09:35 PM

Well, there was a tip of luck on our side. My bro did call the cops at the scene when he noticed the jacket with his wallet and keys were missing. The cops did interrogate these 2 kids that were loitering at the pool table where he was at. I think that scared them.... they found the jacket with the wallet and keys intact behind an arcade console today albeit the cash was gone. Whatever... a few bucks is definitely cheaper than replacing/reprogramming keys and FOBs anyway.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

I do not know if you are the original owner, but you should have gotten a tiny rectangular piece of metal that has an ID code on it for the keys, incase spares need to be made. Go to Mitsu with that and they will make you a new set, or call them ASAP and figure out best solution incase you want the locks changed.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Change all the locks then reflash the ECU with Tephra patch V7 and set the valet mode active set your desired valet RPM to 0 there you go you have your immobilizer. After you turn the car off put your foot back on the throttle and turn the key in the on position the CEL light will flash at you and your valet mode is active. Do the same thing when your ready to leave.

Last edited by DBallz; Dec 28, 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DBallz
Change all the locks then reflash the ECU with Tephra patch V7 and set the valet mode active set your desired valet RPM to 0 there you go you have your immobilizer. After you turn the car off put your foot back on the throttle and turn the key in the on position the CEL light will flash at you and your valet mode is active. Do the same thing when your ready to leave.
Thats what I was thinking of. Using it as an extra step tostart the car. security feature.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 08:02 PM

wow glad everything worked out. this should teach ya to keep your keys and wallet in your pockets on you..... if someone steals your jacket yeah that sucks but thats easy and cheaper to replace...

Last edited by Got_Boost; Dec 28, 2009 at 08:05 PM.