Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

With the EVO now being extinct, does that mean the value of the IXs goes up?

Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goforwand
The IX's have been holding their value pretty well since the the X came out; most good one's with decent mileage are still in the low 20's which they have been for a few years.
That's excellent resale for a 5+ year old vehicle.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Don't expect the prices to sky rocket over night.

But at the rate the younger people are wrecking em, it's only a matter of time.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 714benz
The 03 EVO 8 will be the car to look at in a couple of years if it's has low miles and stock form.
So for all you 03 owners keep you cars in good shape.
i know a guy with an 03 viii that's gone through 3 motors and is on it's 4th which is a 4g64 with a big truck turbo. how about that one?

point being that finding a stock and clean viii is a rarity....not impossible though.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:07 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
As it is, clean, relatively unmolested IXs are selling for +70% of their original cost only 4-5 years after the end of the production cycle. That is, before scarcity had a chance to set in. Folks like to use the Supra market as an indicator. Clean Supras are also selling, on average, for ~70% of their original value, but the scarcity aspect has had a chance to set in. If this is any kind of an indicator, Evolutions promise to do significantly better in the upcoming years. This doesn't mean that your beat 4-owner '04 on its third clutch will go up in value. It won't. OTOH, a fairly low-mileage, meticulously maintained example might.

As for the X being the last Evo, it can only help. The market, though, doesn't value the X equally and I doubt its demise will have much of a direct effect.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Which is why I'm keeping mine. I didn't buy it with plans that it's value would increase, I bought it to have a car that would still kick *** and function when I have a child seat in the back
Bingo. My plan is to own this car very long term. I'll buy something else to go with it at some point, SUV/Truck/Wagon etc., but no more sedans, and my coupe days are far behind me unless they find a way to cheaply rebuild FD rotary engines. AWD, 4-doors, fairly raw. Check. Ok, I'm good here. Carry on.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am glad I have an Evo that I got stock with 41.5K on it. Of course it is lightly modded now and will only see bolt-ons. 54.4K on it as we speak had it nearly 3 years.

Evo love lasts forever.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We don't drive porsche's Stopped being obsessed with how much the car wil be worth in a couple of years. Sell it now if it bothers you or just enjoy the ride.

In case you haven;t realized the economy still sucks......he dollar is **** and EVERYTHING is going for a lot cheaper then it used to. Honda's, Nissans, Porsche's, House's, etc.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the evo isnt a rare car, nor a hard car to find to buy. i dont know why people would think the value would go up on these cars
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wickedwhite8
Its all about the 8, the 9 was just a refined copy of the almighty evo 8. The First legal evo for sale in the u.s. so ill sell mine to you for $55000. Lmao. Its still just a fast 4 door family car.
lol the 8 was only made so they could make the 9, the true last 4G63
Also, IF evos become some sort of sought after cars, it probably won't be the US spec ones, maybe true JDM cars with all the bells and whistles will be purchased overseas and shipped to the US
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
the evo isnt a rare car, nor a hard car to find to buy. i dont know why people would think the value would go up on these cars
We are not talking about tomorrow, that ALL the evos are going to dissapear. In 5-10 years from now the Evo's will def be worth something.

Since Evo8-9 were the only 4g63 Evos in US they will sell for a pretty penny, and the EvoX will def have its own market...Do we know for sure whats going to happen?? NO because Mitsubishi can bring the Evo back from the dead sometimes down the road, Hey GM did it with their "dissapearance of Camaro" and BAM they bring it when no one expected it.

So drive the Evo like it needs to be driven, dont go now and wrap it, then store it until 2040. If you think about IT IS just a car. Remember DSM were the best AWD turbo ever on our eyes UNTIL the evo showed up and all ex-dsmers including myself moved up to an evo. So something might come along better and faster, but for now ill just enjoy my evo like I have been
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Time to convince my wife we need buy another evo now!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
As it is, clean, relatively unmolested IXs are selling for +70% of their original cost only 4-5 years after the end of the production cycle. That is, before scarcity had a chance to set in. Folks like to use the Supra market as an indicator. Clean Supras are also selling, on average, for ~70% of their original value, but the scarcity aspect has had a chance to set in. If this is any kind of an indicator, Evolutions promise to do significantly better in the upcoming years. This doesn't mean that your beat 4-owner '04 on its third clutch will go up in value. It won't. OTOH, a fairly low-mileage, meticulously maintained example might.

As for the X being the last Evo, it can only help. The market, though, doesn't value the X equally and I doubt its demise will have much of a direct effect.
One thing that people always forget to include in these calculations is inflation. Yes the Supra stickered for around 42K and they typically go for 28K on the used market (about 66% of it's value), but 42K is actually about 55K in 1998 dollars (actually more, I used http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi but inflation has been higher last few years with the bail out), so 28K today is basically about 50% of it's original value.

Supra's also haven't ever really appreciated in value, if anything after all this time the depreciation has slowed.

So between inflation and slowing depreciation, Supra owners will continue to lose money on their cars until the cross over to "collectible" is hit, which is probably never, but if it ever does that line is probably still 30-40 years away for the Supra.

X's actually aren't doing that bad in the used market either. There aren't many used ones for sale, looks like 2008's typically go for in the 28K range. That's 80% of it's value after 3 years. Considering the economy since 2008 tanked and X's rarely go for over sticker (and new X's can be had for very close to 30K anyway) that really isn't bad at all.

I still think the best shot an Evo model has for being collectible is the Evo 6 TM edition. In 50 years, it will be legal to import them. There's a bunch of clean examples in Japan and Europe. The CP9A platform has a much richer history then the CT9A platform, etc.

CT9A owners like to rag on the CZ4A platform, but really the CZ4A platform is to the CT9A platform what CT9A is to the CP9A platform.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
i love all the evo 8 owners saying theirs will be more collectable than the 9.... lol... especially the comments about the 03's...lol.... yeah, because current market values support that theory! 9s are going for around 5-8k more than older 8s... collectability, IF it becomes a factor, usually is based on the BEST of a certain platform... not when it was imported.. thats not important at all (unless it was like the 1st one delivered or something special like that).. you look at ANY older sports car, ANY of them... and the older versions of a certian platform are ALWAYS cheaper! because the later versions are better, more refined, more optioned/equipped, performs better... not to mention the 9 was only made for 1 year out here, versus 3 years for the 8, which makes production numbers much lower therefore more sought after!

and to be honest, i dont for a second think our cars will go UP in value... but i do believe due to the extinction of future models, it will help our cars retain its current value.. throughout the model ranges.. but dont hold your breath on an 03 in great condtion EVER being worth more than an 06 in great condition!

Last edited by vipers; Mar 2, 2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

I think any evo down the road in 10-15 years from now..with no mods to light mods, stock, and low mileage will sell well. It is what most of us look for when buying a car, the less modded or molested the better, i dont see that mind set changing down the road. Doesnt matter what model 8, 9 or 10.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 02:52 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To the OP.

The original owner low mileage 8-9 EVO's just shot up in price.
My opinion :P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: With the EVO now being extinct, does that mean the value of the IXs goes up?