Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why do EVO owners keep their cars with such low mileage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just hit 50K miles over the weekend on my '03. I daily drive it and take it on long drives on the weekends.

I'm not concerned with resale. As someone else stated, I feel lucky enough to have it considering how much of a hit my household income has taken recently, so drive it as much as I can .
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by reboundicon
Before I owned an EVO, I was a DSM guy and remember going through tons of ads for eagle talons, eclipses and galants with extremely high mileage. It was pretty much impossible to find one with low mileage that was not beaten to death by the previous owner. On top of this, most tuner cars have less than appealing body kits, wings, underglow, etc. on them (not to mention engine mods).

Once I began to frequent the evoM forums and looked at listings for EVO's for sale I realized 80% of them had extremely low mileage with little to no ugly exterior mods. I'm talking mileage that is less than 8k or even 4k a year to some extremes.

So my question is this, why do EVO owners keep their cars with such low mileage?
It's evo's were talking about here! Not no talons and eclipse Same story with civic si and all these other cheap cars out there. An evo is expensive. Maybe in 2020 there gonna be all high mileage and rare and most of them will reach young young drivers that will beat them to death and put ugly kits on them and rice em out.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:13 AM

Gotta keep em fresh... Haha
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not DD'ing it keeps it fresh and makes me less liable to mod it since I don't get used to the power all the time.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:17 AM

I drive my Evo every chance I get. Sun, rain, snow.. it is what it is! 06 IX with 58k on it! I put over 7k miles on it from December 15th - March 30th (I was also gone the whole month of February). And now... deployed again for another year. But I'll be damned if it doesn't get another 2k miles while I'm home for my 2 weeks of rest and relaxation.. .. Then it goes down for 60k maintenance and a new clutch while I sit in Afghanistan. Haha!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just barely am hitting 79k on my 2003, ive had it for about 4 years and bought it with 39k on it, of the 79k 27k is on my built engine etc, i think the reason why evo owners keep their cars with low miles, is once the mods start goin on the car, it becomes more temper mental in a sense, it becomes a garage queen like a lot of east coasters do, due to snowy winters, whereas like in my case, cars always bein worked on for somethin goin on with it, so it has low mileage cuz it never goes on long trips, at least not in the past couple months. I wouldnt say for resale value, but the evo is the epitome of a race car, therefore sometimes some people with some vehicles, have issues with dd ability like a race car.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Most Hated
Jackstands love Evo's
This. ^ I bought my 03 with 38K in 05 and it just crossed 60 a few months ago.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4RETECH

It's like my friend told me. Not driving your car is like having a beautiful wife you don't have sex with so she will be more desirable for her next husband.

Well put, well put.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:43 AM

Shoot, my 03 Evo just hit 100K, got it not to long ago, I agree with what 4RETECH said! ^^^^
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:48 AM

It's like my friend told me. Not driving your car is like having a beautiful wife you don't have sex with so she will be more desirable for her next husband.
Great quote! I've put more miles on my evo in a couple months than some do in a year! I love driving it and even if I had a daily driver i'd still drive the evo just as much.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't be fooled....while there are a small group that work to keep their cars in good shape---there are others with the noted kits , wings, etc... go to a meet and you will know what I mean...but thats just me. A lot and I mean a lot of EVO's go to the scrap yard every year from the abuse layed down by their drivers-- low miles likely means hard miles none the less.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Most Hated
Jackstands love Evo's
+1 my car only has 23K on it

also, i usually have my sisters tC that i can use instead of the evo for DD'ing so that keeps the mileage down. i also go go to Greece every summer for roughly 3 months so once again that keeps the miles down :P lastly, if i can avoid DD'ing the car i will. its not a car meant for DD'ing, although fun, due to it getting horrible gas mileage and attracting way to much unwanted attention from the five-O.

but my main reason for avoiding DD'ing the evo and trying to keep the miles low, is that i believe those highway miles, city miles, boring miles are just useless wear and tear on the car. i believe in using the car for what it was made for, being driven as hard as possible and lets face it, u can't do that (legally) on the streets and after a while once u start going faster and faster those back roads that you loved to drive, become increasingly scary at an exponential rate due to how fast you have to go to start getting to the limits of an evo, especially a modified one.

but don't get me wrong, there is no way i'd just let my evo turn into a garage queen, even though it may seem to many it already has turned into one. any chance i get, or feel suicidal, i'll take the evo out for some "spirited" driving, track day, or the local car meet and occasionally i feel like annoying some pruis' and i'll take the evo out on DD duties
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

i just hit 132K miles on my 05 evo... i think im winning (or is it losing?)
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

I have No idea, LOL

idk i feel like its more like i have her for only sex, cooking, and cleaning without having to deal with all the annoying things like:

talking = exhaust drone
makeup/looking pretty = fixing rock chips/ door dings/ etc
shopping = new rims/seats/etc stuff because the same stuff 24/7 gets boring fast
lawyers = cops
privacy = gps/ecu recording everything you do (evo's don't really have to worry about that as much)

and the only things you have to deal with is the stuff that comes with having to much fun with her

boob job = turbo kit
facelift = body kit
birth control/condoms = helmets/harnesses/cages/other safety equipment
lube = engine/trany/xcase/diff fluids
etc
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Why keep a car if you dont drive it?
It is the same as buying food that you will never eat.

I think it is a total waste of money. Some people say it is nice to look at. Just go to the exotic dealership and look at all the cool cars on your free time.

Quick Reply: Why do EVO owners keep their cars with such low mileage?