Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Getting Rattling can type noise on Decel..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Rattling can type noise on Decel..

It only happens on deceleration and only when In gear. If I shift to neutral and coast it goes away and under load (acceleration).. It sounds like a soup can full of marbles ... WTH
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:34 PM

I'd get the car up on a lift and have them run through gears, im sure the exhaust is vbrating on something.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
May be your clutch.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Its more than likely hitting your exhaust heat shield underneith. Mine did the same thing a while back,
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the input. I will see what I can find tomorrow... I'll let ya know..
Old Jun 19, 2011, 06:55 PM

Do you have a twin plate clutch. If so thats your answer. All twin plates rattle on decel.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Throwout bearing rattle? Does it make the noise when you have the car in neutral with the clutch engaged? Super noticeable against the wall at the drivethru?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ever figure this out? I've had this problem since owning my car. The previous owner installed an exedy clutch, and im assuming its that from others responses. Mine will also ratlle at idle which sounds almost like a knock when the clutch is not pressed, but when pressed goes away.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

My '03 has that noise since I bought it with 21K. At 104K, it still does it. I thought it was the clutch when I bought it.. When u put the clutch in at idle, the noise goes away. So when I changed the clutch at 60K & put a WORKS CK2 with their SPIN flywheel, not only did the noise remain, it got even louder from the lighter flywheel, & started rattling on decel. I've spoken with countless Evo shops/experts, no one could give me a solid answer. The best explanation I've come across that I can hopefully address soon is that the culprit might very well be the transfer case. It's definately not the tranny - I have a rebuilt WORKS stage 2 transmission. The transfer case bearings can easily cause that noise from being too "loose". When u accelerate, they get quiet because of the load on them. When u decal with your foot off the gas, the load is gone & so they create that rattle. One of these days when I can figure out how to get to work for a couple weeks with my Evo down, I'll send my t-case in to MAP for their basic rebuild...can't beat it for $350!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

I'd check with the exhaust first then work it up.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

i think its a clutch problem, maybe a couple of flywheel bolts came lose?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by awdordie
Ever figure this out? I've had this problem since owning my car. The previous owner installed an exedy clutch, and im assuming its that from others responses. Mine will also ratlle at idle which sounds almost like a knock when the clutch is not pressed, but when pressed goes away.
Mine does the same thing. Im not sure what kind of clutch I have though since the the dealer I bought it from used didnt know(I hate not knowing). The knocking sound worried me until i figured out that it went away with the clutch in. From what ive read on here it seems to be somewhat normal but it still worries me. It seems to be getting louder but it could be my mind playing tricks on me now that im listening for it more. I hope its the clutch and nothing more serious!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:23 AM

you proly have an aftermarket clutch, my evo does this also. i really wouldnt worry about it unless it is really loud. mine i can hear if i have the a/c on or if i really try to hear for it. your good
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WW-GSR
My '03 has that noise since I bought it with 21K. At 104K, it still does it. I thought it was the clutch when I bought it.. When u put the clutch in at idle, the noise goes away. So when I changed the clutch at 60K & put a WORKS CK2 with their SPIN flywheel, not only did the noise remain, it got even louder from the lighter flywheel, & started rattling on decel. I've spoken with countless Evo shops/experts, no one could give me a solid answer. The best explanation I've come across that I can hopefully address soon is that the culprit might very well be the transfer case. It's definately not the tranny - I have a rebuilt WORKS stage 2 transmission. The transfer case bearings can easily cause that noise from being too "loose". When u accelerate, they get quiet because of the load on them. When u decal with your foot off the gas, the load is gone & so they create that rattle. One of these days when I can figure out how to get to work for a couple weeks with my Evo down, I'll send my t-case in to MAP for their basic rebuild...can't beat it for $350!
It doesn't seem like it'd be TC-related if it happens at idle, does it? I mean, I guess there would be some vibration transferred from flywheel->clutch->transmission->TC, but it seems like the vibration of the TC wouldn't change that much with clutch in vs. clutch out just sitting at idle. If it DIDN'T happen at idle, and only happened under decel and/or coasting, THEN maybe TC would make more sense.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
My EVO has done this it's entire life. To be honest I don't think I was ever in an EVO that didn't have a decel noise to some extent. Def louder with aftermarket clutch and flywheels.

There are threads on this going back to 03

Quick Reply: Getting Rattling can type noise on Decel..