Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2003 Evolution 8 Headlight Trouble

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Evolution 8 Headlight Trouble

I was fixing to take my Evo and get it's inspection sticker replaced when I came across my driver side headlight and noticed it wasn't working. I ordered a replacement bulb (HID-D2S 4300K as mentioned in another thread I found here.) When it got here I went ahead and switched them out only to find the headlight still not working. I figured maybe the fuse was bad, no such luck. And that's where my guessing ends. Anyone have any ideas what else could be wrong here? The passenger side headlight works fine, as do all the other lights on the driver side. The only one that isn't working is the headlight.

CliffsNotes:
Driver side headlight (HID low beam) went out.
Replaced bulb. Didn't work.
Checked fuse. Still good.
Headlight still won't work.
Help.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1. Do either of the bulbs work in the other side?
2. Have you checked the ballast?
3. Do the connectors look good?
4. Are they getting power?

I assume you have HID headlamps correct?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:26 AM

most likley your ballast is bad check it out
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

I took out the "bad" HID capsule from the driver side and installed it on the passenger side. Turns out I now have two working HID capsule's. I don't know how to check if the ballast is working or not but I think I just figured out it isn't. Is there a definitive way to check if it is the ballast that isn't working?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lightingyellow8
I took out the "bad" HID capsule from the driver side and installed it on the passenger side. Turns out I now have two working HID capsule's. I don't know how to check if the ballast is working or not but I think I just figured out it isn't. Is there a definitive way to check if it is the ballast that isn't working?
If you search "Checking HID Ballast" on Google, a myriad of results come up for how to test. Read through some, and test away. Basically, you need an ammeter and someone to turn the light switch for you, and then check to see that you're getting the proper readings.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any updates on this? I have the same situation, drivers side low beam and parking light doesn't work, everything else does. Fuses are good and new bulb didn't work. Will check ballast tomorrow but wondering if OP got this figured out.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Possible Fix

I had the exact same issue as this. Passenger Side HID is on and Driver Side is off. I tried many things, checking for Electrical Gremlins as mentioned on Evom. I had my wife turn on the lights while I watch to see what happens from the outside, I notice that the Driver side would flicker. This ruled out the ballast and the capsule being bad. I did more looking around and found that the Grounding point beside the Engine Fuse Box was loose. Tightened it back up and check again. Everything is back to normal. Hopefully this helps since with this issue I found out that the Evo have a lot of electrical issues.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 09:48 PM

I'm having the same trouble with mine but I bought new bulb a ballast and checked wires everything seems to be intacted but it has to be something on the headlight I think because I took the right headlight an plug it up on the left side and the same thing happened it comes on but cuts off shortly after and the left side works great any opinions guys
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A little late to the party on this but just because the light works for a second and then turns off does not rule out the ballast. My ballast was bad and would do the same thing. Replace the ballast. I also had a bad ballast take out a good bulb. Sounded like a taser going off.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by rodent
A little late to the party on this but just because the light works for a second and then turns off does not rule out the ballast. My ballast was bad and would do the same thing. Replace the ballast. I also had a bad ballast take out a good bulb. Sounded like a taser going off.
I changed my bulb and ballast and checked the grounds and still it comes on for about a 1minute then turns off idk what it could be
Old Apr 6, 2015, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try the harness on the other side. Maybe you have bad wiring on one side and its causing low voltage issue. Is the ballast new or used? I recently bought 2 used ballasts and one was bad. Had to buy another used ballast along with another bulb since the old bad ballast fried the bulb.