Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Basic maintenance on an 06 Evo IX MR?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basic maintenance on an 06 Evo IX MR?

Hey everyone i'm making it my official goal to buy an Evo next year, ive already checked out the insurance rates & montly payments *i'm not rich to buy it with cash one time lol* but what are some stuff I should be kinda worried about? I already know tires, brakes, oil change & ive been driving stick shift for about 2 years now so I won't be killing the clutch or tranny. Is there anything else I should add to that list? Feel free to throw some estimated prices around also, thanks a lot!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
60k service and upgrades,LOL

But really depends on how well the car is that you are buying. Get it checked out by a shop that knows what they are looking for.

ACD,TC, etc can start adding up if they are bad when you first buy the car.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
60k service and upgrades,LOL

But really depends on how well the car is that you are buying. Get it checked out by a shop that knows what they are looking for.

ACD,TC, etc can start adding up if they are bad when you first buy the car.
lol i forgot to mention that too, i see a lot of people on the forum talking about there 60k service

Last edited by EvoTillIDie; Oct 14, 2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just stay on top of the routine stuff and car will treat you well. Add Plugs to your list.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Listen to 4retech. The man with the most miles on here has the strongest voice in my book.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

You're buying a 6 year old car, stuff will start to go bad, especially if its been driven like an Evo's suppose to. I'd budget a couple hundred each month for general maintenance so you'll be covered when things start breaking on you. Once you have enough set aside, you can use the rest to spend on mods.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Some threads to get you started:

Scheduled Maintenance Tables & Fluid Part #'s/Quantities

Going to hit 250,000 Miles in my Evo.....

Beginners Read Me: New To Your Evo Or Looking For An Evo?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, like everybody else said, the 60k service is the biggest.

I know because I did 3 of them on my old EVO IX MR, and I'm getting ready to do another one on the EVO IX MR I just picked up lol
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of people neglect the 60K service, yet buy a $3000 turbo kit lol. Don't make the mistake and make sure all regular maintenance is done with the service manual (which you can print out on evoM if you search). Be prepared to be making synthetic oil changes every 2500-3000 miles at the least, going through lots of tires and don't forget the premium gas for the basics.

In terms of mods, an Evo is a lot more expensive to mod than a honda as aftermarket parts are not as common and stock is limited from shops. Make a plan with a budget and figure out where you want to take your evo as mods can get $$$!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thedru13
Just stay on top of the routine stuff and car will treat you well. Add Plugs to your list.
that i will do thanks man
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pacent
You're buying a 6 year old car, stuff will start to go bad, especially if its been driven like an Evo's suppose to. I'd budget a couple hundred each month for general maintenance so you'll be covered when things start breaking on you. Once you have enough set aside, you can use the rest to spend on mods.
that was the biggest reason why i made this thread, i'm going to start putting a list together with everything so i can budget myself
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

i checked these out before never actually read them, i think ill start today

Originally Posted by ODUB
yeah, like everybody else said, the 60k service is the biggest.

I know because I did 3 of them on my old EVO IX MR, and I'm getting ready to do another one on the EVO IX MR I just picked up lol
3? as in you owned 3 Evos or you worked on them for customers?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by reboundicon
A lot of people neglect the 60K service, yet buy a $3000 turbo kit lol. Don't make the mistake and make sure all regular maintenance is done with the service manual (which you can print out on evoM if you search). Be prepared to be making synthetic oil changes every 2500-3000 miles at the least, going through lots of tires and don't forget the premium gas for the basics.

In terms of mods, an Evo is a lot more expensive to mod than a honda as aftermarket parts are not as common and stock is limited from shops. Make a plan with a budget and figure out where you want to take your evo as mods can get $$$!
upgrading the turbo would the last thing i could be able to do lol money is tight so ill just be doing the regular maintainance like you & everyone else said then maybe once i get use to the feeling of the stock turbo & feeling for the car i would upgrade it early 2013