Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oil in bov!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in bov!!!

well this is how it is....i had a EVO 9 BOV on my EVO 8....took it off and install SSQV BOV....afterwards i realize that my upper intercooler piping had oil residue in it..then noticed that that my BOV i installed was not sounding like it should but instead the sound was coming out my cold air intake,so i checked it out and my BOV had oil residue inside just pouring out...what causes this ?...what are signs of turbos going bad?..could it be something wrong inside my engine?
any ideas anyone?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

This is normal, most likely due to crankcase vetilation. Install a catch can between the valve cover and intake if its that excessive and your worried. Highly doubt a bad turbo, but I could be wrong on that...
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

check your turbo

take off your intake and check for in and out shaft play, if there is in and out shaft play theres your answer.

take off the hot side "licp" if theres is oil in there then again its your turbo.

let it get to operating temp then (while in nuetral) rev it to red line and see if you get some blue tinted smoke. if you do....most likley a blown head gasket...but that wouldnt answer the oil in the piping......
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The BOV needs some oil to keep it lubricated, so that it will work properly.

Some of the oil you may be seeing is probably from the valve cover breather port, which is normal.

Is any part of the PCV system connected to the intake? If it's stock, then it is. This is for emissions purposes.

In order to fix this issue, you will have to invest in a catch can setup so you can 'catch' the excess blow-by oil.

You will also need to clean your intercooler (with something like diesel fuel) to get all of the existing oil out of it. This should stop any oil from entering the intercooler piping (and your BOV).

-Bink
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

i agree with bink. check everything else out then go from there. i highly doubt its a bad turbo, most likely due to blow by. did you recently just bump up your power significantly? or is this just a sudden occurence?

i am running the stock turbo and have been out of the game for about 6 months so take my advice with a grain of salt. but my previous BOV had oil that was leaking out of it. it was at the same time my bov started leaking in general and was not holding boost properly. i simply swapped out to a re-circ valve and problem was solved. I also have a catch can waiting to be installed but i am lazy, havent had any problems since then.

could be a variety of problems but if your not seeing dramatic power loss or blue/white smoke coming out, i highly doubt its your turbo.

any reason you bout the ssq? it is well known that this is a terrible choice for evos. not saying this is the root of your problem, but if your pushing serious power and have any concern for driveability you may want to consider another option.

cheers and good luck with your diagnosis.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:36 PM

but is it normal for the BOV sounds to be coming out the air intake rather than the BOV itself...
Old May 1, 2012, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MaDD-Myke
but is it normal for the BOV sounds to be coming out the air intake rather than the BOV itself...
The magic answer is yes...if it is reciculated..... No if its vent to atmosphere
Old May 1, 2012, 06:33 AM

well its vented to atmosphere but it aint working right like it should
Old May 1, 2012, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaDD-Myke
well its vented to atmosphere but it aint working right like it should
Are you tuned on speed-density? If not, you shouldn't be doing VTA on a MAF setup.

-Bink