Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

0 Vacuum at idle HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
i dont think the mivec gear is damaged, dont see how it could be atleast. Timing is not off, its been triple checked.
The timing marks may line up but the cam could be off if the Mivec gear let go or it is not getting any oil flow to it.

See what the timing shows at idle in a datalog.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 09:46 AM

If the turbo is ok, I would peel back the wire loom of the harness where the cas and main harness come together to about the level of mid fuel rail. I have had 2 9's recently melt the grounds together and grounded out the coil and one injector.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by will1311
If the turbo is ok, I would peel back the wire loom of the harness where the cas and main harness come together to about the level of mid fuel rail. I have had 2 9's recently melt the grounds together and grounded out the coil and one injector.
hmm thats interesting. ive never heard of that. ill take a look into that if the COP does not fix it.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeeperjunior
Ok. Here is my thought. It sounds almost like antilag... And if your building like 3-5psi that means your turbo is spoolin. Your just free reving it really shouldn't build boost. So that would point to timing. Have you logged timing to see what the ecu says its doing? But I would check timing, then the correlating sensors. Crank, camshaft. And the bolt on the exhaust camshaft didn't come lose by chance? The one that holds the metal piece on for the camshaft sensor to work? IDK for sure. Just some ideas to throw around.
when it first broke. "first day first thing we did was log timing." timing at idle and driving normal was dead on. The camshaft sensors are good. The crank is not throwing a CEL light so im guessing it is not that but i could replace it.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Im really leaning to something timing related bc it sounds like your car is building boost out of the gate, but if its a stock turbo I suppose this may be possible. What did you gap your plugs at? Don't think its this issue but if you did something crazy....
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeeperjunior
Im really leaning to something timing related bc it sounds like your car is building boost out of the gate, but if its a stock turbo I suppose this may be possible. What did you gap your plugs at? Don't think its this issue but if you did something crazy....
Im on a FP Black not a stock turbo. The plugs are gapped it .018-.020 im pretty sure it is not the plugs.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Yea... You shouldn't be able to free rev and get 3-5lbs of boost. So I think you should check timing issues. If you have truely checked everything one last thing that is possible but not likely, it could be your ecu....
Old Oct 7, 2012, 04:56 PM

Did you log the mivec advance? It goes with melted wires, but if the mivec signal is grounded, it may keep the intake fully advanced which gives max overlap and basically no vacuum.

Like I say, its just what I have run into recently and just an idea.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 05:47 PM

I would hook up a mechanical boost gauge in it, and also check the TPS Sensor. Sounds like the TPS sensor is not dead on...
Old Oct 7, 2012, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by will1311
Did you log the mivec advance? It goes with melted wires, but if the mivec signal is grounded, it may keep the intake fully advanced which gives max overlap and basically no vacuum.

Like I say, its just what I have run into recently and just an idea.
I did not log mi-vec yet. Were is this "mivec ground" located?

Originally Posted by nobudgettuning
I would hook up a mechanical boost gauge in it, and also check the TPS Sensor. Sounds like the TPS sensor is not dead on...
i all did hook up another boost gauge, it is reading correctly. TSP sensor works fine i tested that all ready.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Could you post a picture of the cam gears and crank at TDC?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
I did not log mi-vec yet. Were is this "mivec ground" located?

i all did hook up another boost gauge, it is reading correctly. TSP sensor works fine i tested that all ready.
Where is your TPS @ idle?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
Could you post a picture of the cam gears and crank at TDC?
i could. ill do that when i get done work.

Originally Posted by nobudgettuning
Where is your TPS @ idle?
im not following you 100%

my idle should be around 1,100 RPM. it is idle at 500-600RPM "shown in video. I no my TPS is working because if i unplug it or try starting it without it connect it throws a CEL
Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
when you log TPS it shows a percentage...the percentage represents how open the plate is. Typically you should be at 0% at idle and 13-20% at cruise and 100% at WOT

Last edited by Evoryder; Oct 8, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
when you log TPS it shows a percentage...the percentage represents how open the plate is. Typically you should be at 0% at idle and 13-20% at crews and 100% at WOT
o i see yea. even when you log it with the car off it still reads. it is reading correctly. i all ready cheacked that.

Quick Reply: 0 Vacuum at idle HELP!