Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

0 Vacuum at idle HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump for Video Inside!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check to see if a rocker popped out
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PeteyTurbo@KHC
will check when i get home
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Curious to see what's causing it. My talon had these exact symptoms with a little worse idle and I couldn't figure it out before I sold it so I unloaded it for next to nothing. Hope you find the culprit!

Did it just happen one day while driving or just after the instal on a start up?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteyTurbo@KHC
nothing is off under the valve cover. I installed his cams right after i installed the s3 on my car.

Originally Posted by doober
Curious to see what's causing it. My talon had these exact symptoms with a little worse idle and I couldn't figure it out before I sold it so I unloaded it for next to nothing. Hope you find the culprit!

Did it just happen one day while driving or just after the instal on a start up?
It ran for awhile after the cams were installed. around 200 miles so its nothing install related. we even posted a comparison here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tock-cams.html

so his first pass was a 11.2 @ 112 lifting .. it would of been a easy 10sec pass but he was competing in a event and didnt want to get warned so he just lifted off.

the problem happened on the 2nd pass. during a 2-3 the car went from 11.8 to 10's afr.. went super rich, car lost all power..

so it could be a lot of things..

a laundry list of stuff would be something like..

ignition is completely f'ed
map sensor is f'ed (we did a quick disconnect test and connect, but that is not good enough)
fpr f'ed
fuel pump issue?
fuel line issue?
injector issue?
crank sensor going nuts
mivec cam sensor was replaced (new) should be ok
cam sensor exhaust side not replaced but car doesn't throw a cel anymore for either.

did not pressure test direct to intake mani yet
or to the lower ic piping to confirm turbo seals are good

he did order a new ignition since we planned on upgrading that anyways.. i ordered him a sparktech non cdi ignition. once thats installed if it fixes it we will update the thread.

something we didn't do that i want done that Aaron@ ER suggested was.. log mivec. so we will log mivec to check that.. and swap another 4bar out for what hes got in there.. that would have been done but i was not about to remove mine from my car since the AMS F1i makes it a complete hassle to remove.

the car held 30psi~ on a leak test.. BUT it did drop a lot quicker then my personal car does. so there may be some kind of weird leak we missed.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
nothing is off under the valve cover. I installed his cams right after i installed the s3 on my car.

It ran for awhile after the cams were installed. around 200 miles so its nothing install related. we even posted a comparison here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tock-cams.html

so his first pass was a 11.2 @ 112 lifting .. it would of been a easy 10sec pass but he was competing in a event and didnt want to get warned so he just lifted off.

the problem happened on the 2nd pass. during a 2-3 the car went from 11.8 to 10's afr.. went super rich, car lost all power..

so it could be a lot of things..

a laundry list of stuff would be something like..

ignition is completely f'ed
map sensor is f'ed (we did a quick disconnect test and connect, but that is not good enough)
fpr f'ed
fuel pump issue?
fuel line issue?
injector issue?
crank sensor going nuts
mivec cam sensor was replaced (new) should be ok
cam sensor exhaust side not replaced but car doesn't throw a cel anymore for either.

did not pressure test direct to intake mani yet
or to the lower ic piping to confirm turbo seals are good

he did order a new ignition since we planned on upgrading that anyways.. i ordered him a sparktech non cdi ignition. once thats installed if it fixes it we will update the thread.

something we didn't do that i want done that Aaron@ ER suggested was.. log mivec. so we will log mivec to check that.. and swap another 4bar out for what hes got in there.. that would have been done but i was not about to remove mine from my car since the AMS F1i makes it a complete hassle to remove.

the car held 30psi~ on a leak test.. BUT it did drop a lot quicker then my personal car does. so there may be some kind of weird leak we missed.
Yea this ^ I think Tom has it all pretty much sumed up

and when doing the boost leak, from 30PSI to 0PSI it took a solid 45 - 60 secs

Last edited by 5LEEPERISAH23I; Oct 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Another idea that i doubt it is the problem but maybe. Maybe i gapped the spark plugs 2 tight causing them to foul out
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

bump for a high revving part 2 , and me yelling at my car and not realizing that untill i uploaded the video LOL..

and afterwards i checked the plugs, they all look 100% normal. I was kind of hoping they didnt but they all do look the exact same.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

anyone else bump/
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:36 PM

So the car was having issues and you took it to the track anyway?
If the car is idling at 0 vacuum and is running like crap it sounds like a timing issue. It is an evo 9 so you may want to check the Mivec Cam gear as it is possible it could be damaged.

Last edited by 90blackawdtsi; Oct 4, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 90blackawdtsi
So the car was having issues and you took it to the track anyway?
If the car is idling at 0 vacuum and is running like crap it sounds like a timing issue. It is an evo 9 so you may want to check the Mivec Cam gear as it is possible it could be damaged.
i dont think the mivec gear is damaged, dont see how it could be atleast. Timing is not off, its been triple checked.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, 2 thumbs up for determination on getting car fired up. Question. It looks like your car is building boost when you rev it up? Or is that vacuum when it goes to 12-20?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeeperjunior
Ok, 2 thumbs up for determination on getting car fired up. Question. It looks like your car is building boost when you rev it up? Or is that vacuum when it goes to 12-20?
AEM is weird, there are no - signs on the gauge, that is vacuum so it is -12 to -20 . at some points it does hit 3-5PSI tho
Old Oct 5, 2012, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Turbo blown?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Ok. Here is my thought. It sounds almost like antilag... And if your building like 3-5psi that means your turbo is spoolin. Your just free reving it really shouldn't build boost. So that would point to timing. Have you logged timing to see what the ecu says its doing? But I would check timing, then the correlating sensors. Crank, camshaft. And the bolt on the exhaust camshaft didn't come lose by chance? The one that holds the metal piece on for the camshaft sensor to work? IDK for sure. Just some ideas to throw around.

Quick Reply: 0 Vacuum at idle HELP!