Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

0 Vacuum at idle HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still don't understand the no vacuum part, but my car recently sounded almost exactly like yours when trying to rev up. I had accidently swapped back to my pump gas map while running E85. This would lead me to believe that you are running lean right there.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steven
I still don't understand the no vacuum part, but my car recently sounded almost exactly like yours when trying to rev up. I had accidently swapped back to my pump gas map while running E85. This would lead me to believe that you are running lean right there.
yea idk, when i took my car down the track "when it broke" 1st n 2nd a/f was 11.7-11.8 then shifted to 3rd a/f 10.5-10.7 left super slow.

i havnt tried flooring it since but you hear the turbo working really hard and the car goes no where.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Well, in the vid, you can see the car going into vacuum after you rev and it begins to decel. You can also see that the A/F ratio is swinging during that time. Do you have the fuel pressure gauge to install? Could your car be on the wrong map?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steven
Well, in the vid, you can see the car going into vacuum after you rev and it begins to decel. You can also see that the A/F ratio is swinging during that time. Do you have the fuel pressure gauge to install? Could your car be on the wrong map?
its not the wrong map, i refashed it many times too since this problem that is not it. i do not have a Fuel gauge
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
the boost gauge has a T connecting the boost / FPR to the intake mani... i no some people say let the FPR run a line by itself but it should just magically not work. Its been like that for awhile.

I tried 2 different stock FPR's one was brand new other one was working on my car before i switched to automotive then back to stock. so they should both work.

I HAVE A GUT FEELING IT IS LOW FUEL PRESSURE THO. i sold my aeromotive so i do not have a gauge to see what it is. BUT im not sure and done wasting money on guessing. not spending a dime more till i no what it is.
My boost gauge is T'd into the FPR line too. No issues.

Why would you say it's low fuel pressure when you car is running rich? If it was low fuel pressure you would be running lean. When my injectors clogged up with the black gunk after running E85 for about 6 months my car was running very lean, even at idle. I pulled the injectors and voila, found the reason my car was running very lean... black crap all over them. It has to be something else.

Last edited by evilempire76; Oct 13, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Check your IAT sensor for your speed density...if it goes bad then your car will drive like isht
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evilempire76
My boost gauge is T'd into the FPR line too. No issues.

Why would you say it's low fuel pressure when you car is running rich? If it was low fuel pressure you would be running lean. When my injectors clogged up with the black gunk after running E85 for about 6 months my car was running very lean, even at idle. I pulled the injectors and voila, found the reason my car was running very lean... black crap all over them. It has to be something else.
yea im not sure, i think it is that bec that is one of the few things i have not checked, im thinking my primary fuel pump is taking a **** or something low volts or something.

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Check your IAT sensor for your speed density...if it goes bad then your car will drive like isht
i did. its fine.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
i havnt tried flooring it since but you hear the turbo working really hard and the car goes no where.
In 1992 I bought a DSM. A DSM stock had a itty bitty 14B turbo. One time I decided to drive the car without a boost controller and as soon as I goosed it I was seeing 27 psi on my gauge. Fun.

Well, a lifter went bad. It was hammering loud and the car would go nowhere but I could hear the turbo working really hard. The knock sensor must have been hearing the noise and pulling all the timing. With a new set of lifters the car drove fine.

So IDK but what you describe sounds familiar.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
his car is not loud at all though barneyb.. ill be getting this car next week sometime and will diagnose it in my garage. hopefully it doesn't take to long to find the culprit.

first thing i'm gonna do is pressurize directly into the intake manifold and then if that passes ill pressurize directly into the compressor pipe to test the turbo seals.

ill certainly update once i find the issue.

he did a few rigged crap that i don't approve of with this car.. for example his crank angle sensor wire is cut / soldered and electrical taped together.. ill be removing that and putting on a new one as well.

ill get rid of all the rigged crap on the car and make it 100% like my personal evo.. no rigged stuff allowed .

he didnt mention he stripped almost all his nuts on his fuel pump outside ring housing either.. its being sealed by 3 nuts.. the car is a basket case but ill make it right once i get my hands on it again.

the car is extremely powerful for the mods though.. i bet he makes the same power as im making once i fix it.

Last edited by tscompusa; Oct 14, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:57 AM

Is putting the stock cams back on, out the question. I also noticed the gauges dimming and getting brighter as he revved it on one of the videos. Might also be having grounding issues. Also hear a rattling sound when revved, sounded like a balance shaft was out of alignment. Good luck with the fix.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lyzek01
Is putting the stock cams back on, out the question. I also noticed the gauges dimming and getting brighter as he revved it on one of the videos. Might also be having grounding issues. Also hear a rattling sound when revved, sounded like a balance shaft was out of alignment. Good luck with the fix.
last resort i can swap cams ya. i need to inspect under the valve cover again with more detail anyways.

the car does not have balance shafts. ya i hear that little tick noise also. video cameras pick up a lot of noises though you typically wouldn't notice in person.

yes i agree. could be a ground issue as well i told him that 5 or more times. a failing alternator or low voltage to the car in general can make all electrical components freak out.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
last resort i can swap cams ya. i need to inspect under the valve cover again with more detail anyways.

the car does not have balance shafts. ya i hear that little tick noise also. video cameras pick up a lot of noises though you typically wouldn't notice in person.

yes i agree. could be a ground issue as well i told him that 5 or more times. a failing alternator or low voltage to the car in general can make all electrical components freak out.
Right on the money. If something you installed f'd up your car, the logical thing to do is to go back to see if it still does it. If it doesn't, then it's something else. Something is definitely not balanced and you should stop reving your engine.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:18 PM

I was thinking about the no vacuum today. Have u checked if the exhaust is clogged, maybe cat. Try disconnecting the dp. Oil & bad fuel can melt the materials inside. Could also b causing the boost in neutral issue. Hope it helps
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Optiblue
Right on the money. If something you installed f'd up your car, the logical thing to do is to go back to see if it still does it. If it doesn't, then it's something else. Something is definitely not balanced and you should stop reving your engine.
it ran 500 miles or so after the cam install even went 11.2 @ 112 lifting and trapping 104 in the 1/8.. the actual cam install went perfectly normal.. its something else.. but of course i need to inspect that area regardless to make 100% sure because yes that was the last place that was modified last.

Originally Posted by Lyzek01
I was thinking about the no vacuum today. Have u checked if the exhaust is clogged, maybe cat. Try disconnecting the dp. Oil & bad fuel can melt the materials inside. Could also b causing the boost in neutral issue. Hope it helps
i had a clogged resonator back in the day on a 2g dsm of mine.. it never had any of those symptoms with backfiring and such.. what it did was limit me to about 16psi and that was it.. could not run any higher boost.

dropped the downpipe one day just for the hell of it and the boost instantly shot to 30psi+ ..

so what im getting at is, a clogged exhaust wont make it build boost, its the opposite.

i cut the resonator open and found a brillo pad clogged in it.. (no cat)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
his car is not loud at all though barneyb.
I didn't mean the car was loud. Half the people on this list will tell you a banging lifter is normal. So, the Evo ECU must have better filtering than the old DSMs. They seemed to hear everything.

Still, the words he used are the words I would use to describe my DSM with no timing. I thought it worth a mention.

Hopefully, clearing up the mechanical imperfections will be the fix.

Last edited by barneyb; Oct 15, 2012 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 0 Vacuum at idle HELP!