Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car won't crank at all.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't crank at all.

Hey first I want to say that I did search and tried finding out as much as I could before posting this. My problem is my car does nothing when I turn the key to start. You can hear the fuel pump but the starter doesn't click at all. Everything else gets power all the accessories are fine. It has a new battery and terminals, I checked the fuses and tested the relay all are good. I checked the wires on the starter and they are all connected and seem fine. I would say its the starter but it was replaced less than three months ago when the clutch was installed. Any other ideas? Oh and I also checked the starter voltage at the power side and its getting 12v.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Pull the small wire off the starter and rig a jumper long enough to reach your meter with you in the front seat. Depress the clutch and turn the key to start and check if you get 12 volts. If the answer is yes, reinstall the wire. Try to start again and listen for starter solenoid click. If no sound, the starter is bad. Otherwise, something electrical inside is bad. It could be the ignition switch or maybe the clutch switch.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Pull the small wire off the starter and rig a jumper long enough to reach your meter with you in the front seat. Depress the clutch and turn the key to start and check if you get 12 volts. If the answer is yes, reinstall the wire. Try to start again and listen for starter solenoid click. If no sound, the starter is bad. Otherwise, something electrical inside is bad. It could be the ignition switch or maybe the clutch switch.
Forgot to mention that I unplugged the clutch switch and tried starting it in neutral and had no luck.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure your trans is grounded. Also pull it out and have it test to make sure its working it only two bolts just dont forget to unplug the battery when removing the starter.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like your starter went out. Try hammering on your starter with a hammer or ratchet or something. If it starts up then your starter is bad.

Even though you had it installed a short time ago it's always good to check the little things. A starter being over charged or faulty wiring can cause a starter to burn out early
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by raven1231
Forgot to mention that I unplugged the clutch switch and tried starting it in neutral and had no luck.
It wont start without the clutch switch.....
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
It wont start without the clutch switch.....
Yes it will, mines unugged so I can remote start
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This happened to me as well, no sound at all when trying to start it. I first replaced the starter...no luck, then I replaced the clutch safety switch...nothing changed. I finally replaced the ignition switch, that was it all along. The easiest way to check the ignition switch is to try and crank with a really fast turn of the key. It sounds silly but when your ignition switch starts to go, that is the only way to start your car. Eventually though it will stop all together. The switch is 78 bucks tax included at Mitsubishi and is very easy to install. Any question let me know.

Last edited by Michael C; Jan 25, 2013 at 04:01 PM.