Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stuck on which upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck on which upgrades?

I have a 03' Evo 8 it has
77k miles
Dnp exhaust manifold
Tomei bov
Hks adjustable cam gears
Hks 272/272 cams
Perrin fuel rail
Walbro 255
Hks air filter
Hks full turbo back exhaust

Stock 560cc injectors
Stock turbo on stock psi
and a Utech TurboXs ecu

I have about 2grand to spend and I am thinking about ditching the ecu and going back for stock. My question is what should I spend with that 2grand as far as performance mods, this will not be a dragged car, auto crossed or street raced. I'm just looking for a little more power, without ditching the reliability. Comments would be appreciated just cant figure out what to do next. Thanks for looking!

Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by ApacheToYaDome
I have a 03' Evo 8 it has
77k miles
Dnp exhaust manifold
Tomei bov
Hks adjustable cam gears
Hks 272/272 cams
Perrin fuel rail
Walbro 255
Hks air filter
Hks full turbo back exhaust

Stock 560cc injectors
Stock turbo on stock psi
and a Utech TurboXs ecu

I have about 2grand to spend and I am thinking about ditching the ecu and going back for stock. My question is what should I spend with that 2grand as far as performance mods, this will not be a dragged car, auto crossed or street raced. I'm just looking for a little more power, without ditching the reliability. Comments would be appreciated just cant figure out what to do next. Thanks for looking!

Here is a couple parts recommend to have prior to start thinking about da powerz.

Turbo: ditch the 8 and go with a 9
Upgraded 02 housing: Megan or Invidia
Injectors: make the fuel rail happy & ditch those stockers. Max out point is roughly 350. (1000cc's +)
Intercooler w/piping: ditch the stocker along with LICP & UICP. Keep in mind most UICP are not meant to work around the stock battery.
Headstuds: come in handy later down the road when you get bored LMFAO
Valvetrain Upgrade should have been done with your cam/cam gear install and if not, may be a good idea to do so later on down the road.
AEM Wideband: essential for you and your tuner
Boost Guage: if u don't got one already
Boost controller: also handy if its your daily but not necessary.
Ecu: stock one is great
Exhaust: check off your lost
Fuel Pump: check off your list
Intake: check off your list
Bov or DV (Evo9): check off your list
Cams w/cam gears: check off your list

That's a basic bolt on modding list for you which should help you gain anywhere between 300-380whp while still maintaining its reliability as long as your modding is done properly. Also will stress a TUNE lol. Many guys think its ok to roll around without one, but its an essential part of getting all your new mods working in junction with one another.

The Fun Begins .
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Evobro19
Here is a couple parts recommend to have prior to start thinking about da powerz.

Turbo: ditch the 8 and go with a 9
Upgraded 02 housing: Megan or Invidia
Injectors: make the fuel rail happy & ditch those stockers. Max out point is roughly 350. (1000cc's +)
Intercooler w/piping: ditch the stocker along with LICP & UICP. Keep in mind most UICP are not meant to work around the stock battery.
Headstuds: come in handy later down the road when you get bored LMFAO
Valvetrain Upgrade should have been done with your cam/cam gear install and if not, may be a good idea to do so later on down the road.
AEM Wideband: essential for you and your tuner
Boost Guage: if u don't got one already
Boost controller: also handy if its your daily but not necessary.
Ecu: stock one is great
Exhaust: check off your lost
Fuel Pump: check off your list
Intake: check off your list
Bov or DV (Evo9): check off your list
Cams w/cam gears: check off your list

That's a basic bolt on modding list for you which should help you gain anywhere between 300-380whp while still maintaining its reliability as long as your modding is done properly. Also will stress a TUNE lol. Many guys think its ok to roll around without one, but its an essential part of getting all your new mods working in junction with one another.

The Fun Begins .
Yeah definitely a tune is my top priority, boost controller and boost gauge I can check off my list. So I'm looking at definitely getting a wide band, 1000cc injectors, UICP and LICP piping along with the small batter mod for the UICP, 02 housing, and probably going to upgrade the valve-train. Idk why it wasn't done at the time of the install of the cams.

I'm looking at an Evo 9 MR turbo with the FP kit for $400, sound reasonable?
Thank you for the input definitely going to be browsing craigslist and the forums like a hawk looking out for possible deals.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:03 PM

No problem bud! If you can get both 9 turbo 10.5 Hotside with the install kit I think it's a hella good deal considering if the turbo is in Great Conditions. Not to mislead you but I have heard about scams regarding turbo's. Kinda difficult to determin it's actual condition unless token apart or once installed which by that time your out $400....about the injector's you don't neccesarily need to go with 1000cc's you can bounce around depending on your goals bud.

Did you install the cams etc or did the previous owner? If the previous owner did maybe you can ask if the Valve-Train was upgraded along with cams/cam gears @ time of install? May be a good time to ask about ARP Headstuds too
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ApacheToYaDome
Yeah definitely a tune is my top priority, boost controller and boost gauge I can check off my list. So I'm looking at definitely getting a wide band, 1000cc injectors, UICP and LICP piping along with the small batter mod for the UICP, 02 housing, and probably going to upgrade the valve-train. Idk why it wasn't done at the time of the install of the cams.

I'm looking at an Evo 9 MR turbo with the FP kit for $400, sound reasonable?
Thank you for the input definitely going to be browsing craigslist and the forums like a hawk looking out for possible deals.
I think what you have is a solid start and the mods your planning on are all good additions. I would deff. get a fmic. If that 9 turbo your looking at is in very good shape that is a steal. I take it most of these parts are used as new I think you would exceed your $2000 budget. I think going with certain parts used is a great idea to save some money and get the most out of your money.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I know you want more Power but for auto x you may want to look in to some coilovers. but with everyone else said get some Injecters and a tune and will have a fun little street car
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Evobro19
No problem bud! If you can get both 9 turbo 10.5 Hotside with the install kit I think it's a hella good deal considering if the turbo is in Great Conditions. Not to mislead you but I have heard about scams regarding turbo's. Kinda difficult to determin it's actual condition unless token apart or once installed which by that time your out $400....about the injector's you don't neccesarily need to go with 1000cc's you can bounce around depending on your goals bud.

Did you install the cams etc or did the previous owner? If the previous owner did maybe you can ask if the Valve-Train was upgraded along with cams/cam gears @ time of install? May be a good time to ask about ARP Headstuds too
The cams and cam gears were installed by the previous owner. He didn't mention anything about upgrading the Valve-Train so I'm pretty sure its running on stock springs. I was going to open it up this weekend and check it out just cuz I'm curious.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
I know you want more Power but for auto x you may want to look in to some coilovers. but with everyone else said get some Injecters and a tune and will have a fun little street car
It is currently sitting on BC Racing Coil overs, and the car will not me auto x'd
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:26 PM

As far as the battery, I'm just going to relocate it into the trunk. I bought a Greddy multi d/a gauge for $250 brand new in box. I thought I got a pretty good deal considering they retail at $430-shipping.
Evo 9 turbo with 10.5 hotside, the guy threw in all brand new gaskets, stock dp and cat which I plan on selling. Picked up for $400
Rc engineering 1000cc injectors for $250 used
Debating on going with GSC beehive springs
AEM wideband for $170