Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need your guys opinion on 2.3 13:1 CR build

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Just search them on this site and you will see the one thread where they basically got ran off the board for their unsubstantiated claims. I think they have one fast STi they had a hand in building and a video fo a Evo with a sequential shifter and 11.5k rpm limit (The Evo's gear ratios are a little fishy as pointed out by Dave Buschur).

Wiseco and a few other Piston makers will custom make whatever you want.....just have to wait. I daily drive a car that has over 700 (on a DJ) and I can tell you the clutch, the constant worrying about what a noise was, the weird quirks and issues, the constant worrying about breaking something..............

SO
NOT
WORTH
IT.

High horsepower is EXTREMELY overrated. Most builds follow a trend where the car gets built and gets sold...there is a reason why someone would dump a bunch of money into a car and then decide to get rid of it. This is of course for people who are dumb enough to try and daily drive an impractical 600+ evo everyday like myself

I've been preaching my car was its most its most fun at 450ish. The problem is its almost too easy to get really big numbers out of this platform. It leads to horsepower addiction......then before you know it you went way past the point of sanity.
greatly appreciate the feed back.All honesty the shop owner is said to be honest guy not looking to make a mint off his customers and kept persuading me into going high compression, all this time i kept thinking why hasnt anyone else done 12:1 or higher cr at his shop or in general.I feel i am a guinea pig for this build.I feel i put him to high on peddle-stool or thought he was actually trying to help seeing the fact i only had car not 48 hours before it went to s#!t
Old Jul 7, 2013, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by graphitegrey
greatly appreciate the feed back.All honesty the shop owner is said to be honest guy not looking to make a mint off his customers and kept persuading me into going high compression, all this time i kept thinking why hasnt anyone else done 12:1 or higher cr at his shop or in general.I feel i am a guinea pig for this build.I feel i put him to high on peddle-stool or thought he was actually trying to help seeing the fact i only had car not 48 hours before it went to s#!t
I have run 12.5:1, it was awesome because I was auto and on E99, there are pics of my pistons in some thread on here, but that was a race car with a 3794 on it.

Anything over 10.5:1 is impractical for a daily driver even on E85. As John Bradly once said, he didn't see anything that high compression motors were doing that the lower compression ones aren't. They just had more throttle snap and greater off boost response.

Higher comp is harder to tune and leave little to no room for error. Just cancel the order if you can and run a set of wiseco 10.5's, you'll be happy.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
I have run 12.5:1, it was awesome because I was auto and on E99, there are pics of my pistons in some thread on here, but that was a race car with a 3794 on it.

Anything over 10.5:1 is impractical for a daily driver even on E85. As John Bradly once said, he didn't see anything that high compression motors were doing that the lower compression ones aren't. They just had more throttle snap and greater off boost response.

Higher comp is harder to tune and leave little to no room for error. Just cancel the order if you can and run a set of wiseco 10.5's, you'll be happy.
slightly off topic seeing if you would know is there a clearance issue with ams wet sump oil pan
Old Jul 7, 2013, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

slightly off topic seeing if you would know is there a clearance issue with ams wet sump oil pan
I'm sorry as I have no experience with that part I can't comment. There are a few threads about it or mentioning it. I will see if I can find one for you.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 08:06 AM

I'm sorry as I have no experience with that part I can't comment. There are a few threads about it or mentioning it. I will see if I can find one for you.
found your pic from 2010 who made that piston what fuel were you running
Old Jul 7, 2013, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

found your pic from 2010 who made that piston what fuel were you running
That's a wiseco 1400HD piston and I was running 99 grade Ethanol under boost. It was set to trigger at 4psi off the secondary fuel system.

Here is the link about the oil pans, read through it and click the links in there, lots of info!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-question.html
Old Jul 7, 2013, 08:17 AM

That's a wiseco 1400HD piston and I was running 99 grade Ethanol under boost. It was set to trigger at 4psi off the secondary fuel system.

Here is the link about the oil pans, read through it and click the links in there, lots of info!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-question.html
how long did that last?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

how long did that last?
About 6 months then I grenaded the auto trans, then parted the car out and bought an Evo. My evo is at 11.1:1 compression.

I sold the pistons to a guy on here. I might go up to 11.5:1 on my next bottom end but never higher than that. Not worth it, I just like the off boost response when using bigger turbos, it makes the powerband feel more leniar and not that sudden hard hit more common with big turbo set ups.

Last edited by Migsubishi; Jul 7, 2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 08:59 AM

About 6 months then I grenaded the auto trans, then parted the car out and bought an Evo. My evo is at 11.1:1 compression.

I sold the pistons to a guy on here. I might go up to 11.5:1 on my next bottom end but never higher than that. Not worth it, I just like the off boost response when using bigger turbos, it makes the powerband feel more leniar and not that sudden hard hit more common with big turbo set ups.
so with me buying pistons or they may be still in process of being made what poses biggest threat with that cr
Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

so with me buying pistons or they may be still in process of being made what poses biggest threat with that cr
Detonation, you will need to find the best tuner you can with the least amount of failures. Mine is here in Florida at Vanquish,and or Aaron at English Racing, but there are many others. I would tune it very conservative as one bad tank of e85, that ends up being e70 or something else will create one hell of a show.

Make sure that your engine builder is on his A game and the clearance between valve and piston are perfect. You will want to run big cams, I suggest GSC - S3's or bigger, they will make it easier as they will slightly lower the compression and better utilize it. Don't explain, I'm sure one of the Brains on here can break it down for ya.

I get all my engine,tech and tuning help if not from Vanquish it comes from John Bradley of English racing. "Aaron" ... The English Racing guys know their stuff and are more than capable to steering you in the right direction of keeping your engine where it belongs... Under the hood.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:51 AM

-_- doesnt seem worth the risk seeing he has never delt with compression this high he is know for tuning but i dont wanna ruin a a complete engine build and also no warranty =(
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With a build of this magnitude, I would definitely speak to Aaron @ English Racing or David @ Buschur Racing. As others have mentioned. Both of these guys have built more 600+ whp Evo's than anyone, they know their 4g63 performance for sure. Extreme tuners on the other hand, lives in a fantasy world where they presume "theory" is better than results. Everything I've seen from them, is in "theory"... No results, at least from what I've seen. If you're going commit and shell your money out for this build excursion, it might as well be well spent with guys who do this for a living.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know where you are in the Midwest but I'd take it to Devin at Boostin Peformance near Chicago, IL. English Racing is way far away and I don't like Buschur personally but he does do great work if you can deal with him
Old Jul 7, 2013, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not the biggest Evo expert out there. Many people here have forgotten more about building high horsepower Evos than I will ever know.

BUT: if you really want to build a high powered Evo (not really practical or at best not much fun as a DD) and especially if you really want to be "different" (overrated and there is a reason most of us go the standard route) -

THEN you need to read long and hard and think long and hard and talk long and hard to a lot of people who know what they are doing, people with real world experience earned long and hard, earned putting together and living with real world motors in real world cars.

DO NOT start by just ordering some parts. If it were that easy, we'd all do it.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:29 AM

I am personaly customer of ET and know before i write and i am extremely happy.
I am one that have personal experience from ET, i have bought a high cr 13.5 race engine from them and its outstanding as matter power and reliability. I know its more expensive than other off the shelf parts the market uses but it deserves 100% what i pay for.

So please better write someone that have use or see these parts, to have opinion than to tell us that hear from somewhere, we know that hatters there are. but lets hear someone that have pay for these parts actually like me.

Does anybody from you that telling bad words have buy any part from Extreme Tuners? and didn’t perform like supposed to be or any kind of problem or anything? Please be carefull to something you dont know before posting. Does anybody buy something and didn’t was 100% as they promise? The price difference is because they built billet pistons not forged like all the other companies. It’s the highest quality and higher precision can be on engine parts. Its same way Formula 1 built their pistons, how can compare apples to oranges? They sell parts to all over the world as the highest quality parts ever been made. just look their customers who they are.
As matter the pistons they tested to 92psi in 13.8:1cr at rigolis eclipse and are brand new in 6.9sec@201mph.
to those who tell bad words about ET and didnt built anything only words.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=453283931410689

They have sell expensive quality racing parts in many many high power projects and all customers are more than happy. Just get into their page and see how many projects and customers they have and running, The craftsmanship is outstanding to what they do.

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeTuners

graphitegrey you made the perfect choise, i am sure the guy that point you to these high quality parts is professional. You will see the quality when the parts arrive to you. Good luck to your project. If anything i can do for you just send me pm.

Last edited by stamatis evo6; Jul 9, 2013 at 01:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Need your guys opinion on 2.3 13:1 CR build