Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EGR delete question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR delete question

first off sorry if this isnt the right spot for the post but I didnt see anywhere it would fit other than maybe tuning and engine management so if it needs to be moved please feel free to do.

to the question, i was just wondering if anybody could tell me if the egr might have been deleted on my car. its at 130k so its something i was planning on doing if it wasnt. the previous owner had the car tuned for all the mods previously on it and the car seems to run fine besides a slightly high idle (900-1000) and the A/F sits around 11.7 on average but its a little hard to tell with 280 cams. i know theres different methods on removal and it looks like some of the lines that would need to be removed are, can anybody confirm this?

thanks for any input and sorry about the camera angles, it was hard to get a clean picture with everything in the way

Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hard to tell from those pics. Normally, the EGR valve sits right beneath the throttle body, attached to the IM. For your reference...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-canister.html

Your idle rpm sounds normal, but is your idle afr 11.7? That's too rich for idle and may suggest vacuum leak
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Judging by the factory vacuum lines on the throttle body im going to say that it is still installed.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 02:06 PM

alright, just wanted to check. i think i had read it was possible to block off the egr while still keeping everything attached, the picture below from the thread mentioned is what i was looking at when i took a look at mine. after looking a little closer i see the under of the manifold is pictured which would explain why i thought i was missing lines haha.

Old Mar 10, 2015, 02:09 PM

ive researched but found several options to do this so it was a bit confusing, would anybody know if its possible to block off the egr and not have a CEL?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 02:13 PM

also sorry for all the questions but also has anybody done this while the IM was still on the car? it looks like its doable from the thread but it always seems easier than it actually is haha
Old Mar 10, 2015, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
The computer looks for a pressure drop from the MDP sensor when EGR is active. The only way to remove EGR operation entirely and not have a CEL is to disable it in the computer. Otherwise when the computer tries to activate the EGR and the MDP sensor doesn't show a pressure drop, you're going to get a light (well... after a few drive cycles anyway).

There is no reason to remove the manifold to disable EGR unless you are going to plug the hole in the head, which most people do not do.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

You can do it with the manifold on the vehicle. Just get the 5$ block off plate and take off all the vacuum lines connected to it. You will just need a few vacuum caps to plug I believe 3 ports that will be left open once your remove all the vacuum lines.

To disable it through the computer you will need a Tactrix cable. Search for the "forced inspection patch" on here. In that thread is the info you will need to completely disable the EGR system.
The following users liked this post:
uneekvisions (Feb 13, 2023)
Old Mar 10, 2015, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Judging by the photos, yes, you still have the EGR stuff in. I did this mod not too long ago so I'm still familiar with the removal process.

I took the manifold off the head and did the port block-off. I still have an extra set-screw (for original poster) if you need it, please contact me and I can arrange to ship it out to you.

You will get a CEL if you don't disable it on the ECU. I had the folks over @ Moore's Automotive do mine and it's fine now. Didn't know any specific performance gains but it's just a better feeling that your engine is running cleaner

Last edited by VWJETTY; Mar 10, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:51 PM

awesome ill send you a pm, roughly how long did it take you you remove IM? im thinking im gonna go ahead and get a phenolic spacer while im at it, thanks again!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Check your throttle body seals too if you taking the intake off. If they are original with 130k, they are probably leaking.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenferris1
alright, just wanted to check. i think i had read it was possible to block off the egr while still keeping everything attached, the picture below from the thread mentioned is what i was looking at when i took a look at mine.
Yes it is possible to have it blocked off and keep everything attached. On my car I have all the EGR equipment, have the plug blocked in the head, and a plate between the manifold and EGR valve. Mine is setup this way purely to pass inspection.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stevenferris1
awesome ill send you a pm, roughly how long did it take you you remove IM? im thinking im gonna go ahead and get a phenolic spacer while im at it, thanks again!
PM replied to. Umm...it took awhile to get all the wiring and stuff out of the way. Getting the manifold off there a bolt or two that are hard to reach without a swivel because of the angle. I'm not a mechanic but just a hobbyist so it probably took me longer than what it should took. I'd say 2.5 to 3 hours for the removal process. I also did the heat-resistant gasket for the manifold and throttle-body while I was at it.

I've been told that it should be replaced anyways. The way I did mine was with the heat-resistant gasket in the middle and running two regular steel gaskets between the heat-resistant one since there has been comments about it leaking so I just wanted to be safe. So far so good. Holding 26 lbs like normal under boost. No lose of MPG and I can't say I noticed anything drastic either. Below is a few photos I snapped just now to clarify some things for ya.

Here's a pic of the plug

Here's a photo of whether you've had your EFR deleted or not (notice the block-off plate at the bottom)

and my heat-resistant gaskets "sandwiched" between two regular gaskets...

Also, another side note. I kinda went all out and swapped out 1050cc FIC injectors, ported intake manifold and throttlebody from buschur when I did my swap. I imagine that once you take your stock manifold off and see how gunky it is inside you may have second thoughts too. Mine was pretty filthy with carbon residue from the EGR.

Last edited by VWJETTY; Mar 11, 2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 07:29 PM

awesome those pictures will definitely come in handy, im not too intimidated i just know ill have to have an afternoon to do it haha.
i actually have the exact same injectors already im just debating if i wanna send the manifold in to get ported, have you had the car tuned after porting? or will it be okay without it? my car runs a little on the rich side anyways (part of why i want to try and do the egr)

also while i remember and for anybody else, did the hex head just thread right in or will i need to tap the hole?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

for me, i upgraded from FIC 600ish cc injectors to FIC 1050's and also did GSC2 cams and AEM cam gears swap when I was doing this process so it made sense for me to do it all at once and then get a tune to have everything working right.

I would recommend that if you wanted to port it, that you wait until after you get the installation all done because you'll need to have access to tactrix cable to remove the CEL anyways so its kinda like killing two birds with one stone.