Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Block: 4g63 Gst Eclipse vs 4g63T Evo 8

Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Block: 4g63 Gst Eclipse vs 4g63T Evo 8

Are they same?

I mean, bore, stroke, oil and coolant holes, etc?

Thank
Old Jun 14, 2017, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Bore and stroke are the same, but none of the rest matters because the engines are reversed.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc View Post
Bore and stroke are the same, but none of the rest matters because the engines are reversed.
When you've worked on both you find yourself saying, "The balance shaft in the front - no wait a minute is that in the front or the back?"
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb View Post
When you've worked on both you find yourself saying, "The balance shaft in the front - no wait a minute is that in the front or the back?"
For a short time when I first bought my Evo I still had my '96 GS-T. That was "fun" going back and forth between opposite 4G63 engines lol.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

This is a comparison of the 6 bolt DSM engine to the Evo 8 engine - the only two engines I am familiar with.

Timing belt - same on both

Accessory belt - as I recall the DSM had three belts - always out of tension and noisy - the power steering belt would squeal every time the engine was started. On the Evo engine - solved.

Exhaust manifold studs on the DSM engine had a habit of snapping due to expansion and contraction of the manifold. Evo engine - solved.

Spark plug wires were short lived on the DSM engine. Evo engine - they last a long time. Nobody seems to recommend aftermarket plug wires.

Lots of people spun out the balance shaft bearings in DSM engines with good oil pressure. Occasionally has occurred in the Evo engine but close to solved.

The DSM knock sensor heard everything and would pull timing on a noisy engine until it would barely run. The Evo engine knock sensor is much more selective about what it listens too. Sometimes it seems to ignore everything. DSM engine wins here.

Throttle plate would get sticky in the DSM engine. Evo engine does the same thing.

Valve guides were good for about 100K in the DSM engine. Supposedly solved in the Evo engine.

Rubber in the DSM crank pulley would part dumping the accessory belts and maybe taking out the timing belt. I've never heard of an Evo crank pulley doing this but that rubber is getting old.

Overheat a DSM engine once and warp the head. The Evo engine seems more resistant and has a better cooling system.

A DSM valve cover gasket would start leaking at 15K. Tighten the capscrews and get another 15K before replacement. An Evo valve cover gasket, if left untouched, doesn't leak.

Last edited by barneyb; Jun 14, 2017 at 07:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chrispy0530 (Jun 15, 2017)
Old Jun 15, 2017, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome info ^

Having both platforms, good to know this info.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chrispy0530 View Post
Awesome info ^

Having both platforms, good to know this info.
The comparisons are of OEM parts and OEM design separated by 11 years. I think it is an amazing difference.