Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Throttle body air leak...Pics inside with how to fix!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2006, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoisdream
when u found the leak intially was it really loud and u could feel air coming out i have a leak somewhere in that area but i cant findout where it seems like its coming from the back of the intake manifold.

evoisdream
If he answers that question will you make this a sticky ?

Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoisdream
when u found the leak intially was it really loud and u could feel air coming out i have a leak somewhere in that area but i cant findout where it seems like its coming from the back of the intake manifold.

evoisdream
i had what sounds like that same leak! it was a combo of the throttle cable thingy and a little hose on the bottom of the throttle body or intake manifold that broke off! I dont remember exactly where but it plugs directly in the bottom and you have to remove the strur bar and get your hands under their to feel it! good luck...
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spec'd
Excellent work !

So is it safe to assume the seals from MachV fit the Evo Throttlebody ?

They absolutely 100% do.

BTW, thanks for the FSM link. Even though I didn't use it, its nice to have now for any future "educational" purposes

Last edited by nigletsyz; Aug 17, 2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Good job on the fix. This should definately made a sticky because this is some good info here .
Old Aug 17, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nigletsyz
They absolutely 100% do.

BTW, thanks for the FSM link. Even though I didn't use it, its nice to have now for any future "educational" purposes

This is HUGE information.

You're welcome for the FSM link.

I think I'll go and head and buy those seals and leak detector just in case
I need them later.

Also I made this a Sticky on my own forum website.
http://www.4g63t.net/evo_dsm_forum/v...fc6f4edf924f8e

I will give credit to you and dbdude ( the original poster ).

Also I will host all the images on my own server/website for the sticky/how to.

See that's why I hang out on this site... to learn ...
besides BSing with some of the members once in a while.

Amazing ...

Last edited by Spec'd; Aug 18, 2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Yes you can actually hear the air leaking out of the throttle body. And even more loud when you pull on the throttle cable with your fingers.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

I went ahead and placed an order for seals and a leaktester.

Last edited by Spec'd; Aug 18, 2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

i cannot thank you guys enough for this info. i did a leak test several months ago and searched/posted to no avail. i start getting a leak at 5psi in the same location with same characteristics. looks like i am going to buy some seals and get this fixed. imagine how much power we are losing!
Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I want to thank everyone who helped finding the info and getting this problem taken care of. This has been a problem to me for a long time now and read that there will always be a leak there. I will be getting new seals. Good job.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

I bet alot of evos have this problem. They just dont know it. My evo is an 03 and has 24k miles on the clock. Yet those dam seals where leaking a long time ago. This seal problem i probably gonna have to be replaced often. Possibly every 20k miles average. I think it would be a good idea to oil the seals to keep them from getting hard again. I had a couple other little leaks in the intake manifold too. Mostly where the sensors connect. I took them off and put some gasket maker. Then put the sensors back on and let dry. And yes we are probably pulling timing since the turbo has to work harder to make up for the leak. My evo wouldnt even hold 3 psi at the throttlebody leak!!! As far as leak tester, i made my own for $5 dollars. I bought two 2inch pcv plugs at homedepot and bought a rim air nipple thingy at walmart for $1. I drilled a hole at the end of the plug then pushed the air nipple thru it. I sealed the inner plug with caulk. The other plug i use for plugging the other end of whatever pipe i want to test. Here is a pic.
Name:  PTesterAngle.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  9.8 KB
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a link to a how to and what size plugs/hose to get if you have trouble visualizing the above pressure tester explanation.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html The pic will look familiar

This is a very good how-to thread you have here...I know how time consuming it is to do this sort of instructional write-up. Good job!
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just so you guys know, i was really busy last night and didn't get a chance to finish up the part 2 of the write-up which actually includes the disassembly of the TB to get to the seals. I will work on that tonight for you guys that want to do the seal replacement this weekend.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just got done taking my throttle body apart and the seals were cracked and dried up. Might need to make this routine maintenance once there is a good write-up on it.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbdude
I bet alot of evos have this problem. They just dont know it. My evo is an 03 and has 24k miles on the clock. Yet those dam seals where leaking a long time ago. This seal problem i probably gonna have to be replaced often. Possibly every 20k miles average. I think it would be a good idea to oil the seals to keep them from getting hard again. I had a couple other little leaks in the intake manifold too. Mostly where the sensors connect. I took them off and put some gasket maker. Then put the sensors back on and let dry. And yes we are probably pulling timing since the turbo has to work harder to make up for the leak. My evo wouldnt even hold 3 psi at the throttlebody leak!!! As far as leak tester, i made my own for $5 dollars. I bought two 2inch pcv plugs at homedepot and bought a rim air nipple thingy at walmart for $1. I drilled a hole at the end of the plug then pushed the air nipple thru it. I sealed the inner plug with caulk. The other plug i use for plugging the other end of whatever pipe i want to test. Here is a pic.

That's an excellent way to make a leak tester.

I ordered a leak tester from Mack V because I wasn't sure how to make one.

While I was ordering the TB seals, I figured what the heck.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhiteEvo05
Here's a link to a how to and what size plugs/hose to get if you have trouble visualizing the above pressure tester explanation.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html The pic will look familiar

This is a very good how-to thread you have here...I know how time consuming it is to do this sort of instructional write-up. Good job!
Excellent !

Quick Reply: Throttle body air leak...Pics inside with how to fix!!!