Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To: Change your Brake Pad, or Remove Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Need some HELP PLEASE:

Just replaced my front pads and had rotors resurfaced. Problem is passenger side rotor still looks like it was resurfaced (some obvious wear but not much) and the drivers side does not. It has been approximately 2 weeks since the pads have been replaced.

My question is if the passenger side caliper is working properly. Are all four pistons working? I did a brake stopping test and the car pulls to the drivers side.

Should I remove new pads on passenger side and see if all pistons move (with pads removed and careful not to pop them out, if that's possible)??

Any help would be appreciated.
you answered yourself, passenger side looks un used and car pulls to driver side, passenger side pistons are not moving as they should

with caliper in hand with pads loaded, gently apply brakes and see their movement
Old Oct 28, 2009, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Is it just me, or are the pics in the first post not working?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Itchy
anybody got the torque specs to the bols holding the caliper in place? btw front bolts are actually 19mm.. unless only my car is weird
How important is a torque wrench for the calipers? I already replaced my pads by taking the calipers off and didnt use a torque wrench.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:01 AM

As long as the bolts are tight you will be fine. I just did my rear pads also. Saved me 575 that the dealer was going to charge me
Old Sep 21, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
another noob question

ok, this may sound like an idiotic question, but I am still not sure where you put the high temperature brake grease. It seems to me that you get squeak from metal rubbing on something, and the only thing that rubs when you brake is the rotor, which rubs on the pad. So do you put the grease on the pad/rotor? This also sounds non-intuitive to me, since grease will reduce the friction between the pad and the rotor, therefore reducing your stopping power. Is brake grease something that just burns off, so it doesn't permanently reduce your ability to stop?
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

brake grease is just a high temp grease and for your own safety, please don't use any lubrication between your pad and rotor
The backing plates and frame of disc pad should be greased as well as where the pad contacts the caliper, as was said, all points where pad tounches something except the rotor
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Davo
brake grease is just a high temp grease and for your own safety, please don't use any lubrication between your pad and rotor
The backing plates and frame of disc pad should be greased as well as where the pad contacts the caliper, as was said, all points where pad tounches something except the rotor
Hey, thanks man! I needed that small but very important clarification. Nobody else that I can find has written "except where the pad touches the rotor". I guess for most people, this is so obvious that it doesn't need to be said. Now though, I am still confused about how this grease will reduce noise. The only brake noise that ever bothered me is squealing, and when it happens, it's VERY annoying. My previous pads were high performance metallic pads, and they squealed so bad that after only having them in for a month, I asked the shop to replace them with some cheap pads. I got less stopping power, but way more peace and quiet. I can't think of any place brand new pads would squeal except where the pad touches the rotor.

I have a second question. I found several brake piston spreaders on ebay, which cost between $30 and $50. Has anyone used one of these on the EVO? I would like to buy one but want to make sure it works for EVO. There is a spreader made by Giro Disc on this website, but it costs $225, way more than I want to pay. I know everyone says you can just use 2 screwdrivers, or a C clamp, but $30 is worth the convenience for me, especially if it greatly reduces the chances of scraping the finish on the calipers.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Hey no probs but think about it, anywhere metal contacts metal, some noise would be created
Always check the outer edge of your rotor to see if you have a lip. If you do which is more than likely you need to machine that lip/edge off otherwise when the pad contacts the rotor some off the metal from the pad will hit this lip/edge and stay inside the contact area and not escape to the outside thus it will make a very loud wailing noise. Off course a cheaper pad with less metal would not make this noise which is probably what you replaced yours with.

Spreaders work good and if you are worried about the caliper finish just buffer with some rags inbetween the spreader and the caliper.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:10 PM

sorry to bring this back but i got a question.. do i apply the grease to the metal on both sides and stick it on the back of the pad?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:34 PM

How hard are the caliper pins supposed to be to get out? I had a thin Phillips head and a rubber mallet and I was wailing on the POS and they would not budge. Is there a trick here or what?

Best, Dan
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:09 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BadKarmaCreepin
How hard are the caliper pins supposed to be to get out? I had a thin Phillips head and a rubber mallet and I was wailing on the POS and they would not budge. Is there a trick here or what?

Best, Dan
They should be in there pretty good, but it shouldn't take too much force. One of mine is bent and I can still get it and out.

Originally Posted by a10495
sorry to bring this back but i got a question.. do i apply the grease to the metal on both sides and stick it on the back of the pad?
Grease or anti squeal? You can grease the edges of the backing plates lightly if you feel inclined. If you track your car anti squeal is not recommended. Street car, you can put a few drops between the shim and the back side of the pad.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:11 AM

So hold on you dont need to drain the brake fluid??? how often do you need to do that?
Old May 31, 2016, 01:30 PM

Never changed brakes before thank god for this write up. found another way with compressing the pistons so you dont have to take the calipers off which was faster but mine needed a solid cleaning so just took them all the way off. good write up