Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to make cheap coil on plug setup

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kkk looks like a great idea, and is my next mod!!

but i got one quesion! do i make it so each wire coming out of the stock wiring harness plug splits into 2 wires inorder to go to 2 plugs??
like the red wiring on the driver side part of the harness splits into two red wires going to the the coils in cylinder 1 & 4? and same for the other two wires there?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nicksbeast0-Xll
kkk looks like a great idea, and is my next mod!!

but i got one quesion! do i make it so each wire coming out of the stock wiring harness plug splits into 2 wires inorder to go to 2 plugs??
like the red wiring on the driver side part of the harness splits into two red wires going to the the coils in cylinder 1 & 4? and same for the other two wires there?
Yep,you got it.driver side plug is 1 and 4.passenger is 2 3.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 07:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by OG
I fried my ECU trying to DIY this. I'll admit there might have been a short circuit because the wiring was kind of dodgy. I found out that the ECU might be fried after a lot of Googling, eventually I located a thread here where someone had the same problem (one coil not firing) and someone asked them if they had a COP kit. The guy had a SpoolinUp COP kit (no dodgy wiring) and his ECU also fried, it fried a while after he took the kit off though.

This leads me to suspect that people have had their ECUs fried/know about ECUs frying from COP kits?

I was using S2000 Denso coils like the OP BTW, not the Yaris ones.

Needless to say I didn't attempt to wire up the coils after the ECU frying incident.

This is the thread that helped me troubleshoot the issue: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/en...ot-firing.html
i believe what caused your ecu to burn was your spark plugs. As in the k-series we run we have to use spark plugs with resistors in them or they fry the ecu.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 95gst16g
Yep,you got it.driver side plug is 1 and 4.passenger is 2 3.
Sorry im just making sure i get it right lol. So the driver side plug originally has 3 wires and i will have to solder another wire into each wire so the coils in cylinder 1 & 4 share the same 3 original wires?? Just about, and same with the P side plug and cylinders 2&3?? if so then do cylinders 1 & 4 fire at the same time??

Last edited by WTXevolution; Feb 7, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 08:39 AM

This helped me out with the plug wiring.the original plug has 3 wires. You need to make each pin have 2 wires.in this pic it shows you what wires are what on the factory plug.the Honda coils I used were like this.Black Honda wire is ground,black wire with white stripe is power,the colored wires are the signal wires. Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  83.5 KB
Old Feb 7, 2012, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

I think I got it, ill try nd see wats up. Even though the really didn't directly awnser my questions..
Old Feb 7, 2012, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I think I got it, ill try nd see wats up. Even though the really didn't directly awnser my questions..
yes for the wiring and it still wasted spark firing 2 coils each time 1/4 together then 2/3

Last edited by todd6027; Feb 7, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 02:03 PM

Subscribed!

David
Old Feb 7, 2012, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

will coils from an sr20det redtop work?

Last edited by WTXevolution; Feb 8, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:40 PM
OG
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SFL Autosports
i believe what caused your ecu to burn was your spark plugs. As in the k-series we run we have to use spark plugs with resistors in them or they fry the ecu.
In that case we can blame the OP for indicating that he was able to do it just by swapping the coils (his advice I followed).
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OG
In that case we can blame the OP for indicating that he was able to do it just by swapping the coils (his advice I followed).
k series as in the coils that are on the RSX? I just bought RSX coils to do this. You guys are creating a fire in this thread from an issue that doesn't sound like it is from a cop but I have to make sure of every detail before I install it.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SFL Autosports
I have a tough time believing this is applicable to the EVO. The wire that goes to the ECU is a low current line and this whole setup is specifically made to isolate the high power ignition side from the low power ECU side. Unless it's burning up the supply side, which in the EVO, this comes directly from the fuse box and not the ECU. No idea if the K-series handles it differently.

Flip any of the wires on the coil though and yeah, I could see it burning up the ECU. Hell, a poor ground might even do it.

Originally Posted by OG
I fried my ECU trying to DIY this. I'll admit there might have been a short circuit because the wiring was kind of dodgy. I found out that the ECU might be fried after a lot of Googling, eventually I located a thread here where someone had the same problem (one coil not firing) and someone asked them if they had a COP kit. The guy had a SpoolinUp COP kit (no dodgy wiring) and his ECU also fried, it fried a while after he took the kit off though.
Originally Posted by OG
Sound like your dodgy wiring was the cause and nothing else. I don't see how you blame the SpoolinUp kit for causing a failure on your friends car after it was removed from the car?

Beyond that, even if it was because of non-resistor plugs, which I doubt, your car comes with resistor based spark plugs stock. If you are running non-resistor plugs, you are running the wrong plugs, which is still your problem and not the original posters fault.

Originally Posted by WW-GSR
This has been one interesting thread & got me pretty excited about trying to do this mod on my car as well, until I got to the part about a few guys frying their ecu's! Looks like there is a bit of risk involved as well?? On the other hand, looks like a fair number of folks report great results too.. Regardless, it seems like a worthwhile mod!
If you take your time and do the wiring properly, I don't see it causing a problem. Do some hack job work and you could end up with damaged components. But I don't have it running, so I'm just basing that off probably 100+ other COP setups out there using the same coils and not having issues.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:28 PM

Hmmm I built mine using 2002- civic coils and I run bpr7es plugs.My Ecu hasn't "fried" yet...I also took my time soldering the connections and shrink wrapped everything.then electrical taped all of my wiring all nice.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
will coils from an sr20det redtop work?

dont think so

im using toyota avensis/corolla vvti 1.8 coils

denso 90080-19019 / 90919‑02239

toyota yaris and honda k20 i / vtec also work
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

For the guy saying the cop fried an ecu... No just no lol
I mean yes the ecu is a delicate thing but not that bad.Here is a story for ya.
I bought my Evo with the battery relocated to the trunk.thought nothing of this as it's an easy thing to do.
fast forward 1 year driving the car doing a WOT pull and my car starts to sputter/misfire like crazy. I start freaking out and logging checking for boost leaks taking my plugs out and checking them like 5 times in an hour replacing them twice .replacing injectors ect ect. Keep logging trying to see if it's a certain spot it does this at I notice my car is not just misfiring ...it's cutting off power and turning back on about 5 times in 1.5 seconds.I stop immediately and look at my power cable to the battery.the guy ran it under the car(doh) it rubbed through to th wire and was touching my axle as it was spinning.

I fixed the issue but all in all if that much voltage change ove an over again didn't harm my ecu I don't think a cop would .diy cop has been proven to add performance and feel to the Evo .only thing is I have been reading lately about the spoolinup kits having issues lately just do a search there where some people /vendors talking about it

Quick Reply: How to make cheap coil on plug setup