Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Walbro 450 lph e85 fuel pump diy evo 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by UrbanSmoker
bumping this, anyone have a link to the proper fitting fuel sock? the one that came iwth my install kit is the big one and actually points the reverse way of a stock one. i dont want to reuse the old stock one. but would like a similar style. any links? not looking to dent the tank
I just got one from the local parts store that looked like it would work. I'll try to dig around and see if I can find a part number. It's still going strong, no disintegration in E85.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 09:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I ended up denting the tank with a rubber malloy and a solid steel 3/4” rod with the tip rounded off (with an already empty tank) I hand pumped the remaining fuel put before denting whixh was only minorly needed, using the big sock provided in the install kit, and thats basically all I used from the kit.

On a seperate note, how come you guys are using onrings under the gromit? I re used the oem clip that holds the gromit up, just drilled it out to enlarge rnough to slip over the 450 walbro nipple and cleaned it up, looks solid.

also wanted to note I’m using the walbro 450 high pressure relief that opens at 110psi
Also, cut the insolator in half so it is lower profile (right on the seam) trimmed the plastic hanger and the pump slides up nice. Also used butt connectors after watching electrical tape discinigrate while covering the holes while inwas cutting, so opted for provided butt connectors in the install kit with a solid crimp over solder and heat shrink. Spliced in the secondary ground and everything seems to be good. Used two worm
clamps, one above where the wires are, and one below where the buttom clip is. Doing the STM rewire now, crossing my fingers. Heres some pictures. May start a new updated thread with my own pictures uploaded directly to the fourm so the pictures dont disapear like with photobucket over the years.

Drill siphon to 9/64 and clean up the dust

Use the big sock or walbro (ti automotive now) will void the warranty

Big sock installed

Trim this to the bottom of the clip.

Cut insulator in half so it’s lower profile

Trim the middle piece so the big sock fits.

How the wiring is supposed to go. Splice in the secondary ground, cause why not.

Notice the stock clip under the gromit, I enlarged this with a 13/32 bit and cleaned it up, slid right over and works like oem. Make sure when you cut the barb on pump, that it’s smooth so it doesnt rip the gromit

Assembled ready to drop In
The following 2 users liked this post by UrbanSmoker:
Ian0611 (Mar 9, 2020), jr_2006IXMR (Jan 24, 2022)
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I have run into a surprising situation with the Walbro 450. For the last several years, I have been running the standard version (F90000267) of the W450 what has the pressure relief valve set to crack at about 85 psi. Net fuel pressure (rail pressure minus boost) has always dropped off at peak fuel demand. Th happens at a rail pressure of ~75 psi, but with flow induced pressure loses from the -6 AN fuel line (est. to be ~4-6 psi) and from the stock fuel filter (could be >10 psi), I have been estimating the pressure at the pump to be >90 psi. To eliminate these issues, I upgraded to the high pressure version (F90000274) of the W450 that has the relief valve set to crack at 110 psi, bypassed the stock fuel filter, and installed a Fuelab fiberglass element filter. I also installed a new W450 sock. I was certain that this combination of upgrades would resolve my fuel pressure issue, but to my surprise, pressure is still falling off.

This caused me to look more carefully at the flow capacity for this pump. Flow charts show that at 13.5 V, the pump can flow ~5000 cc/min, while at 12 V, it flows ~4000 cc/min. My current setup with 1500 cc/min injectors is hitting 80-83% IDC at peak flow requirement (about 550 whp on E85). This translates to ~5000 cc/min flow rate. The only way the pump is going to meet that demand is if its getting 13.5 V, and that's never happened. Last time I measured voltage across the pump at full power, I saw 12.8 V with my custom fuel pump rewire that utilizes 8 ga wiring. The estimated pump flow rate at this voltage is pretty consistent with the level of fuel pressure fall-off that I'm seeing (dropping to around 40 psi instead of the target 44.5 psi). Battery voltage hovers consistently at 14 V with the engine running, but even with further wiring mods, its doubtful that 13.5 V at the pump is possible. So besides improving the power wiring, it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade to the Hellcat version (F90000285) of the W450 that flows about 10% higher.
Have you done anything to your fueling to solve the problem?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I have run into a surprising situation with the Walbro 450. For the last several years, I have been running the standard version (F90000267) of the W450 what has the pressure relief valve set to crack at about 85 psi. Net fuel pressure (rail pressure minus boost) has always dropped off at peak fuel demand. Th happens at a rail pressure of ~75 psi, but with flow induced pressure loses from the -6 AN fuel line (est. to be ~4-6 psi) and from the stock fuel filter (could be >10 psi), I have been estimating the pressure at the pump to be >90 psi. To eliminate these issues, I upgraded to the high pressure version (F90000274) of the W450 that has the relief valve set to crack at 110 psi, bypassed the stock fuel filter, and installed a Fuelab fiberglass element filter. I also installed a new W450 sock. I was certain that this combination of upgrades would resolve my fuel pressure issue, but to my surprise, pressure is still falling off.

This caused me to look more carefully at the flow capacity for this pump. Flow charts show that at 13.5 V, the pump can flow ~5000 cc/min, while at 12 V, it flows ~4000 cc/min. My current setup with 1500 cc/min injectors is hitting 80-83% IDC at peak flow requirement (about 550 whp on E85). This translates to ~5000 cc/min flow rate. The only way the pump is going to meet that demand is if its getting 13.5 V, and that's never happened. Last time I measured voltage across the pump at full power, I saw 12.8 V with my custom fuel pump rewire that utilizes 8 ga wiring. The estimated pump flow rate at this voltage is pretty consistent with the level of fuel pressure fall-off that I'm seeing (dropping to around 40 psi instead of the target 44.5 psi). Battery voltage hovers consistently at 14 V with the engine running, but even with further wiring mods, its doubtful that 13.5 V at the pump is possible. So besides improving the power wiring, it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade to the Hellcat version (F90000285) of the W450 that flows about 10% higher.
13.5v or more is definitely possible. If you can't get the voltage up by dropping resistance you can run a boost circuit to push more voltage to the pump. I believe this is the optimal setup for these pumps for maximum performance.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

Hey man, i ran to the same issue as yours. We made a log which showed that the batt voltage was around 12-12.5 during WOT. As the battery was new, I got the alt out and sent it to be fixed. The alt regulator was faulty. Then i put it back and made 2-3 runs to see if the problem was fixed. To my suprise, the issue was still there! Last friday i went to my electrician to have a look. He plugged the batt and went for a pull. The battery was showing 14.2! I showed him a log with the same pull and the ecu showed 12.7! He told me that probably the relay or the wire that goes from the battery to the ecu is probably the issue. Therefore, i recommend making a log to see what ecu reads and what battery shows in order to see if they match up.

As the ecu reads lower than desired voltage, it made my IDC go up. From 40% IDC, the battery voltage pushed my IDC to 90%. This issue made the ecu to increace IDC and mixed my map
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:58 AM

You have to have it rewire, I used the STM kit, othereise you probably have a ripped gromit.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome write up
Old Sep 22, 2020, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would just like to clarify that for the Evo 8/9, the ECU does not prime the fuel pump prior to turning the key to the start position. (The Evo 10 does, however, prime the pump.)
You will only here the Fuel Pump Prime if it is Hardwired.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by xXANCHORMONXx
9.Cut off the first barb, I used this syringe because I didn't want shavings to get inside the pump.

Pics
This confused the hell outta me when I first read it, but this is definitely NOT a Syringe 💉
This is called a Scalpel
Unless you plan on injecting E85 into something, we won't be needing a Syringe
The following users liked this post:
IzzyRS (Sep 24, 2020)
Old Nov 7, 2020, 04:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
i’m pulling my hair out trying to get the bottom piece to stretch over the Walbro 450. I did some measuring and saw why it isn’t working, Then, I noticed that the bottom of my Walbro 450 pump doesn’t look like the bottom of the Walbro 450 on MAP’s site, where I bought the pump. They assured me their pumps were not counterfeit. Has there been a change in Walbro 450 exterior dimensions and the pattern of the bottom piece?

EDIT: I spoke to Ti Automotive and there has been a design change to the bottom cap of the pumps. So, expect to do a little more Dremel work to get the bottom cap on over the new end cap design.

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Nov 9, 2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by WikdEvo
Sounds good man. Congrats. If you ever have issues with fuel pressure (which you shouldn't ) you can drill the siphon out to 9/64 and that will alleviate some of it. I'm on a stock rail with a rewired 450 and all is well here
hi. I have installed a new walbro 525 on my stock evo 8 and the Fuel pressure jumps to 60 psi and regulator can not lower that. Do you think that I have to drill the siphon? And does anybody have a picture so I can see where should I exactly drill?
Old Dec 11, 2020, 08:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Saeed Rouhi
hi. I have installed a new walbro 525 on my stock evo 8 and the Fuel pressure jumps to 60 psi and regulator can not lower that. Do you think that I have to drill the siphon? And does anybody have a picture so I can see where should I exactly drill?
Look at post 302 above. You drill through the long part of the plastic siphon piece.
The following users liked this post:
sumopower87 (Mar 6, 2022)
Old Apr 5, 2024, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the write up. This worked great for my fuel pump install.