Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Blitz SBC-iD EBC install!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2003, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blitz SBC-iD EBC install!!!!!

This is my first install I've ever documented so bare with me. I will try and explain as best I can with the pictures I took.

First things first. Make sure your kit has everything you need. Most likely it won't. I made several trips to the auto shop to complete this bastard because of missing clamps, hose, etc. After that, let's locate where the stock solenoid is. In this pic you will see the stock T setup between the wastegate/actuator and the turbo. The hose that runs away from the two is leading you towards the solenoid. It just so happens to be directly under the airbox.
Old May 23, 2003, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Now that we've located the stock solenoid we'll need to figure out where to place the new solenoid. The stock location is actually a good spot and is what I used. You'll also notice in the red box is where I put the stock solenoid which must remain connected. There's a 12mm bolt you can attach the stock solenoid to as seen. Cap off both nipples on the stock solenoid and cap off the nipple from the MAS pipe the 2nd hose from the stock solenoid was connected to.

Now with the stock solenoid capped off, the blitz solenoid in place and the hoses from turbo and actuator removed connect a new hose from the turbo to the IN valve on your blitz solenoid. Then connect a hose from the actuator to the OUT valve on the blitz solenoid. I made the hoses barely reach the solenoid with just enough slack to prevent any pinching. I also zip tied the hoses to the MAS pipe for cleanup and to prevent them from hitting hot spots.
Old May 23, 2003, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Now the hard part. I'm not kidding, routing the wires and hose through the firewall was a nightmare. I'm sure it would be much easier the next time around but the first time it sucked. Anyhow, locate the rubber gromet where the ECU wires are fed through. If you look from the inside it's under the glove box on the passenger side. Here's a pic with my vacuum hose and Blitz harness wires coming through marked with blue lines.
Old May 23, 2003, 01:23 AM
Evolving Member

Here's a look from the outside of where the wires are fed through. It's hard to see but if you look in the back on the left side of the engine you can see the rubber housing for the ECU wires. I marked the vacuum hose and harness wires heading towards the spot.
Old May 23, 2003, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Now that you've located the spot to feed the wires through it's time to get em through! The best method is to attach the wires to a coat hanger, wrap it in electrical tape or whatever will hold it and feed it through the rubber gromet. *NOTE* There are two layers of rubber. Which made it a pain in the *** to feed the wires through. First thing I did to make the hole is take a knife and cut a slice throught the rubber from the inside of the car. Make sure to go through both layers and make the slit big enough to accomodate the plug. It's just a slit so the rubber reseals over the wires after they're fed through. I had to cut the coiled insulator in half to cover the wires in the engine bay and inside the car. They just won't go through the rubber gromet on the wires. The rubber is too tight and just pulls it off the wires. Next feed the vacuum hose through the same way. Make sure you have enough length to reach the spot you'll be tapping into for your low pressure reading. Now that that's taken care of find a spot to tap into the pressure line. The manual says to tap into the line on the intake manifold after the throttle body. There is a hose there but if you follow that line a hair further to the second spot it's much easier to do. I cut a small piece in the middle of the hose out to accomodate the T I installed for the vacuum line.
Old May 23, 2003, 01:41 AM
Evolving Member

That pretty much takes care of the parts in the engine bay. Only thing left in there is cleanup. Using zip ties to keep the wires and hoses in place and out of the way. It's really easy to keep the install clean in here. I found lots of area to work with.

Now inside the car for the final installation pieces. Best thing to do is figure out where you want the display unit. I'm going the fully stealth route so I opted to place the display behind the stick in front of the ashtray. I'm going to make a backing with suction cups to hold it in place so I can see it while driving. THEN when I leave the car I can pull out the ashtray and stick the display unit under the center console for complete invisibility. With this in mind I mounted the control unit under the center console directly beneath the cubby hole under the stereo as you can see.
Old May 23, 2003, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

After I mounted that (it's still easy to plug all the harnesses and display into.) it's time to find a 12V source to splice into to bring life to our little unit. I spliced into the cigarette lighter's power source. In this picture the blue box is where the splice was made. The brownish purple wire is the main power wire leading to the cigarette lighter. In the red box, for those that were wondering about the TT installs, is where I spliced into the parking break wire. Back a little further towards the armrest which is out of the picture is a screw bolted into the frame. Perferct for the ground wire.
Old May 23, 2003, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

We're practically done. Attach the vacuum hose for low pressure to the teflon hose sticking out of the back of the control unit. It doesn't require a clamp but make sure it's on securely. I used a 5/32 hose so the teflon hose fit snugly inside the vacuum hose's hole. After I pushed that in I put a little silicon around the connection to seal it in. Next plug in the harness wires from the Blitz solenoid into the controller. Now plug in the display unit into the controller and mount it where you want it. Then put the car back together. That's it!!! Now you're ready for happy boosting!
Old May 23, 2003, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

Here's a pic of my display unit. It won't be exactly like this but you get the idea.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Discuss thread here