Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

*** Official Plasti Dip/Flat/Matte Evos Thread *** [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2011, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks Great! Good job, Im gonna give this stuff a try.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tpdc2
Looks Great! Good job, Im gonna give this stuff a try.
Thanks.

It is very easy to do. Granted I made a few minor mistakes but like I said it is completely reversible it peels off. Just do not sand you wheels as it might be a bit harder to peel off.

Just wash your wheels very good and dry them. Do one coat and wait a half hour before doing another coat. I did three coats. Next time I might do more or less depending. It takes four hours to dry completely. But is safe to put them back on the car after two hours of dry time.

The outside gets it's "skin" rather quickly because it is rubberized and flat finish.

I used just over three cans with the thick coats I did and doing the entire wheel (both sides). The cans sell for around $8 at the local Lowes (or whatever hardware store is near you). Or you could order it from the link I gave in another post. You can get more colors from the link, the store only had black which is what I wanted to begin with.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Did you paint by brush? It would be nice if you could get it in an aerosol can.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Danner
Did you paint by brush? It would be nice if you could get it in an aerosol can.
I used the spray cans, just over three of them. However, I did three coats and they were pretty thick.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Half hour between coats and four hour to dry.

If you do not like it or want to change peel it off.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

You get it at the hardware store. I got mine at Lowes for around $8
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

seems like an easy way to change the look, im curious as someone else said as to how it would hold up to brake dust and wheel cleaner tho. looks good to me man. let us know how it goes when you wash
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

i was wondering when someone was gonna try this. Don't worry OP, cuz HATERS GONNA HATE. Guys are too quick to flame when the don't know the details. good luck with her
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Probably not a big issue but doesnt this add a lot of weight to the wheels?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Probably not a big issue but doesnt this add a lot of weight to the wheels?
Adds very little weight. You would add more weight to the car after eating mcdonalds and getting back in the car.

Hey OP, I have a set of plasti dipped wheels on my DD. Ive had them plastidipped for 14 months (yes over a year) and they are going strong still. 5 coats. They do end up looking dull. But I cover them in tire shine every weekend and makes them look good all week.

Last edited by Drew_FL; Mar 4, 2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks everyone.

The stock wheels had some bad spot (some rather large) on two of the wheels because the previous owner used something on them that he did not take off fast enough it basically melted the coating that was on the stock finish so they looked bad.

As for weight I doubt it added more than a few ounces.

I am glad to hear the stuff is durable. 14 months is impressive. I might redo them before then (just because I want to get them looking even better) and order a couple cans of the clear to go over them the next time.

If nothing else using the clear is a way to protect your wheels in the winter months.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drew_FL
Adds very little weight. You would add more weight to the car after eating mcdonalds and getting back in the car.

Hey OP, I have a set of plasti dipped wheels on my DD. Ive had them plastidipped for 14 (yes over a year) and they are going strong still. 5 coats. They do end up looking dull. But I cover them in tire shine every weekend and makes them look good all week.
Cool. Would be a nice temporary look then. From the colors they offer I think black would really be the only option.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Cool. Would be a nice temporary look then. From the colors they offer I think black would really be the only option.
If you have nice wheels you might check the clear for winter protection if that is an issue you might worry about.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raistlin
If you have nice wheels you might check the clear for winter protection if that is an issue you might worry about.
Good point
Old Mar 4, 2011, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I don't usually hate but lets say you were "looking" at buying an evo and it has plasti-diped wheels with some overspray on the tires.... Now lets say the owner says he took "great care" of the car and maintained it regularly... would you still buy it?

powdercoating in my area is about 60$ a wheel, whether you want to admit it or not, your driving a car that cost well over 30k brand new.. i would have just saved the money and done it right.. but different strokes for different folks.. it doesn't look too bad just not what i would do on an evo..... maybe a corolla but not an evo
Old Mar 4, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo9nuuub
I don't usually hate but lets say you were "looking" at buying an evo and it has plasti-diped wheels with some overspray on the tires.... Now lets say the owner says he took "great care" of the car and maintained it regularly... would you still buy it?

powdercoating in my area is about 60$ a wheel, whether you want to admit it or not, your driving a car that cost well over 30k brand new.. i would have just saved the money and done it right.. but different strokes for different folks.. it doesn't look too bad just not what i would do on an evo..... maybe a corolla but not an evo
Apparently you are not listening to what has been said or your reading comprehension is lacking.

If I were selling the car I would remove it (it can be done in a few min without any real trouble). If someone had it on their wheels and I wanted to buy it I would ask them to remove it if I did not like it.

I can take it off any time I choose and it actually protects the wheels since they were damaged anyway. As for over spray it rubs off the tires or anything else it gets on.

Unlike powder coating this is reversible. I am not sure why you are having so much trouble understanding that.

However, hate all you want. I can laugh as I can change it back in a heartbeat where you cannot.

Quick Reply: *** Official Plasti Dip/Flat/Matte Evos Thread *** [MERGED]