Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

*** Official Plasti Dip/Flat/Matte Evos Thread *** [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2011, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have my wheels rattle canned with duplicolor wheel paint worked fine i also stripped the factory powder down. I dont see why this wouldnt take some abuse to. I like the idea if u want to change your color. My car is yellow so black is about the only color that works for me. Good for experimenting dont have people hate
Old Mar 4, 2011, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to do this to my winter enkies...just need to wait for it to warm up a bit here so that I can get the stuff to cure well.

Looks good man
Old Mar 4, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo9nuuub
I don't usually hate but lets say you were "looking" at buying an evo and it has plasti-diped wheels with some overspray on the tires.... Now lets say the owner says he took "great care" of the car and maintained it regularly... would you still buy it?

powdercoating in my area is about 60$ a wheel, whether you want to admit it or not, your driving a car that cost well over 30k brand new.. i would have just saved the money and done it right.. but different strokes for different folks.. it doesn't look too bad just not what i would do on an evo..... maybe a corolla but not an evo
Let me explain it another way. Sure the Evo may have been $30k or more new and sure I got it for $18 but cost of something does not make it special or important.

Much like homes. Why would I want to worry about big and expensive to impress people when I can have what I want and like. Money is not the most important thing in the world, learn to look past the dollar signs of importance.

My car. I like it how it is. As I said I can change it back faster and cheaper than you can yours (if you powder coat your wheel). I could also get the clear and use it as a wheel protector in the winter.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

I think it looks excellent, especially on the dull-looking Evo 8 wheels
Old Mar 4, 2011, 07:05 PM
jm0

Does the plasti dip attract a lot of road dirt/dust?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jm0
Does the plasti dip attract a lot of road dirt/dust?
It just rained today while I was doing the job. I took it out after I was done and did not notice it attracting a lot of dirt.

I also use the magic pads by Girodisc and they produce very little dust with no noise unless you have some rust on rotors from sitting after getting wet.

Edit to add: It should be easy to clean also. Just a rinse and it should be fine. I will see how it works more later though.

Last edited by Raistlin; Mar 4, 2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: adding response
Old Mar 4, 2011, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raistlin
Let me explain it another way. Sure the Evo may have been $30k or more new and sure I got it for $18 but cost of something does not make it special or important.

Much like homes. Why would I want to worry about big and expensive to impress people when I can have what I want and like. Money is not the most important thing in the world, learn to look past the dollar signs of importance.

My car. I like it how it is. As I said I can change it back faster and cheaper than you can yours (if you powder coat your wheel). I could also get the clear and use it as a wheel protector in the winter.
WHOA WHOA WHOAAAAAAA you are MAD!!!
Okay one thing about posting your "projects" online is that not everyone is going to like it. I myself happen to be one of those people. My OPINION is that the wheels are pretty . I mean you could have taken the enkei stickers off before spraying them but like i said different strokes for different folks.. What matters is that the wheels look good to YOU. So sit back relax and enjoy a
Old Mar 5, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

WHOA WHOA WHOAAAAAAA you are MAD!!!
Okay one thing about posting your "projects" online is that not everyone is going to like it. I myself happen to be one of those people. My OPINION is that the wheels are pretty . I mean you could have taken the enkei stickers off before spraying them but like i said different strokes for different folks.. What matters is that the wheels look good to YOU. So sit back relax and enjoy a
Not mad at all. Notice a few posts back I had the lol face in a post to someone who did not like it.

I am pointing out you are missing the point. It can be removed today if I chose. The Enkei stickers are not easy to remove without harming them. The only reason you see the symbol raised in one of the shots is something I was going to try. It did not work on the first wheel so I left it covered on the other three. It is reversible so it does not really matter.

I was also explaining the cost situation, since you brought it up. $30k cars drive from point A to point B just as easy as $10k cars one might go faster but that does not make it special. After all the Evo might be $30 but it is still just a four door, four cylinder, sedan that has a turbo on if. If Ford fixed a Taurus up the same way you might be driving one of those. My point was that money does not make the man.

Next point the wheels are screwed anyway. And even if they were not this protects them unlike a powder coat finish that can be damaged this can take some of the abuse and be taken off with new on it. Just like was discussed with another poster the clear could be used in the winter by those who are worried about wheel damage.

I do not expect everyone to like it. However, you seemed to be missing a lot of what was written and just talking crap to do it. So I took more time to explain to you why I did it and that it was reversible (a part you seem to miss in every post).

Again, not mad here just laughing because I can take it off as I see fit. Yet you seem to be making it into a thing that is permanent.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Great idea man. Looks good. Looking forward to seeing how it holds up for you. May have to give it a try.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raistlin
Not mad at all. Notice a few posts back I had the lol face in a post to someone who did not like it.

I am pointing out you are missing the point. It can be removed today if I chose. The Enkei stickers are not easy to remove without harming them. The only reason you see the symbol raised in one of the shots is something I was going to try. It did not work on the first wheel so I left it covered on the other three. It is reversible so it does not really matter.

I was also explaining the cost situation, since you brought it up. $30k cars drive from point A to point B just as easy as $10k cars one might go faster but that does not make it special. After all the Evo might be $30 but it is still just a four door, four cylinder, sedan that has a turbo on if. If Ford fixed a Taurus up the same way you might be driving one of those. My point was that money does not make the man.

Next point the wheels are screwed anyway. And even if they were not this protects them unlike a powder coat finish that can be damaged this can take some of the abuse and be taken off with new on it. Just like was discussed with another poster the clear could be used in the winter by those who are worried about wheel damage.

I do not expect everyone to like it. However, you seemed to be missing a lot of what was written and just talking crap to do it. So I took more time to explain to you why I did it and that it was reversible (a part you seem to miss in every post).

Again, not mad here just laughing because I can take it off as I see fit. Yet you seem to be making it into a thing that is permanent.

Aight man i just want to clear the air, i DONT LIKE the idea of ruberized coating on wheels.. I fully understand that they can be taken off at any point in time, thats cool, and understandable.. I have a 76' 280z trust me i see this all the time, guys are even coating their dashboards with the old z's with this material. We have two different views when it comes to doing modifications to cars.. My wheels are still stock and have the stock clear coat on them.. if i was to paint them i would get it done ONCE and be done with it.. I'm sure it took alot of work to get these wheels done, plus who would have thought to use this coating on wheels, i admire your resourcefulness.

On the other hand, like you said its a temporary fix to a problem that could have been fixed with either powder-coating, painting, or wheel repair, the quality of work would have looked better. The shop here takes of curb rash from the wheels included in the price of poweder-coating, the good thing about poweder-coating is that the finish is more durable than painting them.

This just seems like the guys that spray paint their brakes.. sure it LOOKS decent but when done right the outcome is MUCH better looking plus it last a hell of alot longer.. i'm just curious to see how long this coating lasts and if it will hold up to more "curbing" and the elements
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:38 AM

Looks like you did a good job. I think the stock color looks better though. Black is just too dark IMO
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Aight man i just want to clear the air, i DONT LIKE the idea of ruberized coating on wheels.. I fully understand that they can be taken off at any point in time, thats cool, and understandable.. I have a 76' 280z trust me i see this all the time, guys are even coating their dashboards with the old z's with this material. We have two different views when it comes to doing modifications to cars.. My wheels are still stock and have the stock clear coat on them.. if i was to paint them i would get it done ONCE and be done with it.. I'm sure it took alot of work to get these wheels done, plus who would have thought to use this coating on wheels, i admire your resourcefulness.

On the other hand, like you said its a temporary fix to a problem that could have been fixed with either powder-coating, painting, or wheel repair, the quality of work would have looked better. The shop here takes of curb rash from the wheels included in the price of poweder-coating, the good thing about poweder-coating is that the finish is more durable than painting them.

This just seems like the guys that spray paint their brakes.. sure it LOOKS decent but when done right the outcome is MUCH better looking plus it last a hell of alot longer.. i'm just curious to see how long this coating lasts and if it will hold up to more "curbing" and the elements

See now that is a post I can respect. I get what you are saying.

I would not use the stuff on my interior that is not to my liking.

There is no real curb rash on the wheels there are parts on two of them where the coating is actually melted (you can see it was oozing moved) there are also some really rough spots that look like the metal foamed up on the inside of the wheel. I am not sure what they guy before me used but he left it on way too long. I guess he had some bad brake dust and was too lazy to scrub it off.

Doing this was not that hard, just took time. I am not sure these wheels could be reconditioned. In my opinion they are only useful to keep for later if I want to have both winter and summer setups. Seeing that I now have a beater Subie for the winter thing these wheels are not that special and I am not done modding. I do not wish to spend good money on these wheels that are bad when I can spend that money on mods.

Either way it is a good way to experiment for later when I do get good wheels I might use the clear coat of this stuff as a protector if it works well.

Until then I still like the flat black look, after modding is done that will be a future purchase. Unless you are right on top of them you cannot tell what it really is.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 03:12 PM

I like the reverable idea of it! Awesome.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I think that you need to lower your car a little.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

I like it. Looks good

Quick Reply: *** Official Plasti Dip/Flat/Matte Evos Thread *** [MERGED]