Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stupid question: how do i stop brake squeal?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jamevo8
Mine squeeled like pigs, there is a metal shim you need for $20. to put between the pad and the rotor. then they will not squeel at all!
http://www.racingbrake.com/Brake_Shims_s/2447.htm
Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jamevo8
Mine squeeled like pigs, there is a metal shim you need for $20. to put between the pad and the rotor. then they will not squeel at all!
Don't you actually put the shims in between the caliper pistons and the brake pad? Correct me if I am wrong.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

hahaha that is absolutely right...
Old Jul 17, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
Don't you actually put the shims in between the caliper pistons and the brake pad? Correct me if I am wrong.
I believe you are correct.

I used a LOT of anti-seize Lube-HI Temp, on the back of mine, and the squeel went away, also, after i got the pads in, i readjusted the shims to make sure they were all the way down.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you didn't keep your stock shims, Girodisc sells some slick Titanium shims that help insulate the caliper from the heat of the pads, and should also help minimize squeal.

But I can't believe no one has suggested "Disc Brake Quiet" yet. You just spray it on the backside of the pads and shims and reinstall them ... noise gone ... for at least 6 months anyway.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I actually used petroleum jelly on my shims because I was too lazy to go to the store again. Brakes don't squeek at all unless they are really hot.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

you ever wonder if your petroleum jelly all melted and dripped off the first time you got your brakes hot?

the whole idea is to introduce some vibration damping material inbetween the shim/pistons and the pad. this is like softening the bow of a violin. muting a horn, muting a piano.

the engineering problem? brakes get hot you need something that good at conforming to the shape but then won't get soft at say.... 700+ degrees F. (it might be ok brittle, but not soft cuz then it melts and drips away).

so tada... introducing all these high temp greases that harden over heat and time. they keep the brakes quieter.

now introduce racing brake's system. the damper is already built onto the shim so you just put some grease in drop the whole assembly in and it should be miraculous.