Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hawks HPS squealing extremely loud

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2005, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawks HPS squealing extremely loud

i recently replaced all four brakes with hawks hps and they are squealing unbelievably loud. the squealing is still tolerable when i first start driving but after a bit, they will get to the point where u cant even stand it. it got to the point where my friend heard the squealing thru my cell phone. does anyone know how i can fix this? I was told i might look into some lube, if so is there any recommendations and is it something i can obtain at a normal car store.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aZnLaNcEr
i recently replaced all four brakes with hawks hps and they are squealing unbelievably loud. the squealing is still tolerable when i first start driving but after a bit, they will get to the point where u cant even stand it. it got to the point where my friend heard the squealing thru my cell phone. does anyone know how i can fix this? I was told i might look into some lube, if so is there any recommendations and is it something i can obtain at a normal car store.
1. use the shims from your stock pads with the hawks.

2. I use "Disk Brake Quiet" made by Permatex. I get mine at a local Kragun auto parts store. Its this blue stuff that you spray on the back of the brake pad and on the shim prior to installing the pads. Works great. Tends to burn off if you track the car, so will need to be re-applied after track days, but works fine on the street.

Do a search. There are a few other solutions out there.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 06:50 PM

Did you put any lube on the pad/shims when you did the brake job? If not, that is the problem.

Unless for some reason you got the HP Plus pads (which tend to be very noisy at low speeds) instead of the HPS's.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 01:36 AM

Good Luck

Don't think you're going to be able to quite those HP+'s as it's the brake compound that is causing the squeal. If you read their website it indicates they will do that.

I run HP+ and HT10 on my M3 and the HT10's squeal even more. I've a couple of friends that use the HPS which is intended for the street. They work awesome and don't squeal. They just won't take as much heat at the track but will handle anything you can throw at them on the street.

What ever you do don't go to Carbotech's as I tried them on my Evo and they REALLY suck compared to the HP+ or HT10. I'm using their badest pad and I still managed to get them overheated on the track and they never have the bite that the Hawks do. Still squeal like crazy though.

If you want to get rid of the HP+ let me know I'll take them

When you brake brake harder and shorter, sometimes that will quite them down for a while, it seems like the light use they get on the street wears off the less abrasive parts of the compound. This leaves more abrasive parts exposed which wreaks havoc with the rotor causing the squeal. If you hit them hard a few times they should quite down again which evens everything out again. (Just a guess but it seems to work for me)
Old Dec 26, 2005, 01:08 AM

well i am pretty sure, i have the hps unless they the wrong item was put in the box... i have been told by some people to brake a bit hard to even out the surface, but seeing as they are new, i was worried about the bed-in. i didnt want to risk screwing them up as i am preparing to make quite a long trip.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

my HPS only squeals after a canyon run when they get really really hot...and also during my 1st brake every morning when they're cold.

But yeah, take your pads out, and use the antisize on the back...
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

+1 anti-sieze will do the trick!

Originally Posted by mdosu
my HPS only squeals after a canyon run when they get really really hot...and also during my 1st brake every morning when they're cold.

But yeah, take your pads out, and use the antisize on the back...
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:52 PM

The key is to grease and grease well with ANY high-temp grease. Also reuse the factory shims and apply hi temp grease to the backs of those things as well. I have the Hawk HPS and I had to regrease the suckers a couple time before the sound stopped. It will squeal again if it gets really hot but it goes away. The key is to grease, grease, grease.