Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Good All season tire that works well in winter??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with hokiruu. I have the pirelli m+s tires on my jetta and I think they are prety good for an all season tire but honestly they don't conpare to the performance of the stock advans. The pirellis aren't even that good in the snow (got stuck more than a few times in about 6 inches of snow). I think you should get winter tires for winter and keep using the advans for the rest of the year.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
since tirerack doesn't carry and therefore have any ratings/comparisons between them, can anyone tell me about the dry cornering of the proxes4 vs. Ze512? the proxes are about $110 more than the falkens.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
the pirelli pzero nero m+s tires cost about 130$ a tire
Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
oh and it depends on if you are gonna be in deep or little snow..here we have little snow so they work really well..the first winter in the sti we used the stocker's and we barely got home in them
Old Aug 28, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

another vote for Falken Ziex 512's
Old Aug 29, 2006, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Kumho ECSTA ASX's also and their awsome. This will be the second season on the car (one year with frequent tire rotations) Have them or any tire installed at Discount Tire Co., if they are in your local area. They offer free rotations AND re-balence, just be sure to ask.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:41 AM

I would also caution on the use of the Continental Contiextremes. They are fine in deeper snow, though anything short of a slick with 4wd will get you through if you drive properly. However, I found on ice and slush they were TERRIBLE! Even at slow speeds the braking and cornering were unacceptable to downright dangerous. I also am not impressed with the dry handling characteristics. They are progressive but the limits are relatively low.

I am switching to snows and summer rubber. I knew better, but I was trying to save a buck.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

I run Dunlap Graspic DS-2 this will be their third winter here in cincy oh. fine in deep snow and slush ok on icy roads
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

update: santa fe, nm has gotten a freakish amount of snow in the last few weeks, more than we have received in about 20 years by far. for reference, i could not see my wheels at all when I dug my evo out, and that was only from the second half of the storm, it was garaged for the biggest part. since it caught me off guard before my new tires arrived, i was stuck with my Azenis 255's for the first week or two of the snow. while it was really sketchy on the ice or course, i did manage to mob my way through 14"+ of fresh powder at one point for a short distance to get out f a snowed-in driveway with the Azenis.

i ended up taking purecoda and others' recommendation and got the Ecsta ASXs, mostly because I got them via my friends dealer account for *dirt* cheap. the minute i rolled out of the tire shop i was on ice, slush, snow, wet and dry pavement, dirt roads, and about 320 miles of highway driving between santa fe and wolf creek, co.

i have to say that i am very impressed with them in every way, especially for the price. snow and ice traction is surprisingly good for an all season tire with a moderate tread pattern like this. they're quiet, smoooth, and comfy. stopping distances on downhill ice were cut about in half, and I was also comfortable well into 5th gear going uphill between 60-80 mph on the steepest and windiest passes and they held very well. obviously they were softer sidewall and therefore rolled over a little bit more than summer tires, but they only broke free when i wanted to/made them. the tradeoff is smooth and quiet highway driving.

thanks for the recommmendation guys, chalk another one up from me for these tires as an all-around great performer and probably the best VALUE in an a/s tire. sorry for the long rant.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
I'm also in the market for some high performance all season tires for the evo. i want something that i can still drive pretty aggressively in the dry (stiff sidewalls) and can handle snow very well.

Basically this winter the evo is going to be commuted with, and taken on long snowboard trips from Northern NM to Summit County, CO. This means lots of highway miles, hard carving (as much as the tire's limitations will allow) the mountain roads if it's dry or just wet, and mobbing through fresh snow near the resorts.

Edit: I meant Toyo Proxes 4 vs. Advan S.4 vs Pirelli PZero Nero

Which of thses would you choose? The Toyo tread pattern looks like it would be better suited for spirited driving. Tires available through TireRack would be a plus, since I have some perks to buy through them.
Where's Summit County? I'll be in Vail the end of next week.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

well then you'll be in summit county summit is usually associated with breckenridge, copper, vail, keystone, beaver creek , aspen etc. if they are all not actually in summit county. they just got some snow last night and today, maybe more tonight but it was a bit sparse for a long time. are you going to ski/board? have fun! i LOVE that area so much I just might move there, if I can get a job paying enough to meet my Evo payments
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:02 AM

Avon M550's are great. Very underrated tire. Great for rallyx too!!