Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

hawks HPS brake install?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hawks HPS brake install?

ive read all the how tos and most of the say to reuse the stock anti squeal shim. it seems the pads i got come with a shim already? Should I reuse the stock ones anyways?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

I reused mine and have had no problems
Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

the shimm is already glued onto the pad...so now i'm unsure if its a anti squeal shim or not.

joe250's i guess shows he used the stock one on top of whatever is glued on there. guess i'll do that too...

http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/brakepads/DSC02956.jpg

sorry this is my first brake change i'm doing myself so i'm a little worried. guess if it squeals it shouldn't be too hard to fix...=/
Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

yea thats what i did. make sure you used the anti squeal stuff that comes with it too
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

err. slightly off topic but now that i'm on the other side of the car i noticed the rotor is fixed onto the hub whereas the on the left side of the car i was able to wiggle it around quite a a bit...as if there was nothing bolting it to the hub at all....
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Did you have the same amount of bolts?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by vicbdn
err. slightly off topic but now that i'm on the other side of the car i noticed the rotor is fixed onto the hub whereas the on the left side of the car i was able to wiggle it around quite a a bit...as if there was nothing bolting it to the hub at all....
The rotors just slide off, but if it's stuck, then you might have to use two bolts to break it loose. On the rotors there's two small threaded holes. Get a bolt that fits in them and turn it and it will break the rotor loose by pushing it out. Hope that helps.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vicbdn
ive read all the how tos and most of the say to reuse the stock anti squeal shim. it seems the pads i got come with a shim already? Should I reuse the stock ones anyways?
Asked tech and they said...

No, they should only use the shim that is attached to the pad. They would only need to reuse the OE shim if one was not included with the pads.

Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

+1
Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:09 PM

when I installed my Hawk, they had the shims already. I didn't reuse the OEM ones since hawk already had shims on them. Remember to used the high temp grease that comes with the kit. It makes your brakes nice and quiet. As for the rotors, use I want to say 3/8 bolts and screw them in the two holes on the rotors and they'll pop off.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:53 PM
Tor

Originally Posted by flyingwangwang
when I installed my Hawk, they had the shims already. I didn't reuse the OEM ones since hawk already had shims on them. Remember to used the high temp grease that comes with the kit. It makes your brakes nice and quiet. As for the rotors, use I want to say 3/8 bolts and screw them in the two holes on the rotors and they'll pop off.
Nothing can make HPS "nice and quiet", they are pretty loud especially when new. After several thousand miles they will quiet down a bit.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tor
Nothing can make HPS "nice and quiet", they are pretty loud especially when new. After several thousand miles they will quiet down a bit.
my made very little noise. It made noise for maybe 100 miles of driving? I didn't use the high temp grease it came with the package...I bought some from Oreilly's. But overall for the price, I'm happy wit my. I also have DBA4000 rotors when I switch my pads out
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tor
Mine were never noisy, and I use the el-cheapo spray-on anti squeal stuff. I do use both the Hawk (rectangular) and (trapezoid shaped) shims, though, and I make sure to have the anti-squeal goo in between each layer, ie. pad - goo - shim1 - goo - shim2 - goo - caliper.

l8r)