Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bilstein HD-02 and Swift Spec-R ... PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If your matching them with Bilsteins, go with the MR's.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I am only here/there. PM works well to.

I had Swift Spec R GSR on my Bilstein HDs (OE and then custom valved). Reused OEM bumpstops and top mounts.

HDs have stiffer valving than MRs.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I know this is an old thread, but how is your setup working out for you?

I'd like to get this setup as well on my 03 gsr. Did a quick search and wanted to confirm that bils hd for an 04 gsr evo will fit my 03 gsr (tire rack doesn't have a part number for an 03).
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1llusive
Hey I know this is an old thread, but how is your setup working out for you?

I'd like to get this setup as well on my 03 gsr. Did a quick search and wanted to confirm that bils hd for an 04 gsr evo will fit my 03 gsr (tire rack doesn't have a part number for an 03).
They'll fit just fine. I don't know why Tire Rack doesn't have them listed under 03.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

I just ordered new HD's and Spec-R's

I've been riding on KYB's and Tein springs for the last 4 years
I'm so used to this setup, I really hope the Bilstein/Swift combo is as good as everyone says, I could have gotten coilovers for the same price.

For the guys already running HD/Swifts, do you run sway bars also? Any input on the Tanabe rear/Whiteline front sways on this setup??

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; Mar 28, 2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

I run Bilsteins/Swift Spec R and a Hotchkis rear sway on the stiffest setting. On street tires, this setup is very neutral on the track.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im very happy with mine, if anything though, id like them valved a touch stiffer.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo

I'm so used to this setup, I really hope the Bilstein/Swift combo is as good as everyone says, I could have gotten coilovers for the same price.

For the guys already running HD/Swifts, do you run sway bars also? Any input on the Tanabe rear/Whiteline front sways on this setup??
My recommendation would be to get the front bar for sure, then, if you haven't already, fix/upgrade your rear diff, and only then consider going to a bigger rear bar.

I have all of the aforementioned mods (H&R Front bar, Works rear bar, TRE rear diff) and I find that I have to keep the rear bar on its softest setting to keep the car close to neutral. IMO with just a front bar, rear diff, and stock rear bar the car was perfectly neutral.

l8r)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:13 PM

Me too I spent good money on stance gr + pro but winter driving them is too much maintenance for me.

Where did you get your bils hd/spec r's? Everyone seems out right now (bils hd) and I think I missed out on the last shipment from gtworks.

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo

Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1llusive
Me too I spent good money on stance gr + pro but winter driving them is too much maintenance for me.

Where did you get your bils hd/spec r's? Everyone seems out right now (bils hd) and I think I missed out on the last shipment from gtworks.
TireRack has 1 full set left (front and rear) and I got the Swift's from STM. I ordered the HD's yesterday and they're scheduled to be here tomorrow . Someone stated revalve to make them stiffer? Any more info on that? That's my concern that this HD/Swift combo won't be as stiff as I'm hoping. I almost bought D2 coilovers...

As for the diff, when I get my clutch installed, I'm gonna pull the diff and re-arrange the plates/add new bushings but for now I'm holding off on that and the sways.

I'm done driving my car in the winter. It never saw a winter until 2 years ago and I drove it this past winter and I get sick to my stomach when I look under the car now. I've been spending quite a bit of time trying to turn it around, sanding and grinding trying to get the car back to new condition. Save winter for a cheap vehicle, I will be buying a mid 90's Impreza or CJ Jeep for next winter.

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; Mar 29, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

so is anyone using any camber plates on the front with these setup?
if not, how even is tire wear at the track with R compound tires if it doesn't have enough camber?

seems like by the time you add camber plates to the cost of this setup, it comes out the same price as a good set of coilovers and is still heavier
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shadow1
I run Bilsteins/Swift Spec R and a Hotchkis rear sway on the stiffest setting. On street tires, this setup is very neutral on the track.
Interesting, that's seems to be contrary to what others say about running a bigger rear sway. Most say it induces tri-poding. Good to hear a positive opinion.

Last edited by SPANKED; Mar 30, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by artinist
so is anyone using any camber plates on the front with these setup?
if not, how even is tire wear at the track with R compound tires if it doesn't have enough camber?

seems like by the time you add camber plates to the cost of this setup, it comes out the same price as a good set of coilovers and is still heavier
I'm running double camber bolts for -2 degrees up front. Camber plates would be a good option as well. Still cheaper than GOOD coilovers which would cost at least 2500. I would not consider any coilovers under 2k to be great.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Any suggestions as to how many miles before the Bilsteins need to be rebuilt, replaced? I have 50K on the original struts, car is a daily driver with a few road race and ax sessions a year. Car is an '05 MR with swift springs and a perrin front bar. Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
My recommendation would be to get the front bar for sure, then, if you haven't already, fix/upgrade your rear diff, and only then consider going to a bigger rear bar.

I have all of the aforementioned mods (H&R Front bar, Works rear bar, TRE rear diff) and I find that I have to keep the rear bar on its softest setting to keep the car close to neutral. IMO with just a front bar, rear diff, and stock rear bar the car was perfectly neutral.

l8r)
What is there to do to the Diff?