Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2005, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch, it'll get better... and the rock-in-suspension theory will grow
Old Apr 3, 2005, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

I don't believe in the rock-in-suspension theory. I have pressure washed my suspension MANY times and right when I start her up and drive down the road, sure enough "CLUNK". I was giving my mother a ride the other day to lunch and she heard it and was shocked. "What is that!?!?" Don't worry mom it's normal.
Old May 21, 2005, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

bringing back the old thread..mine clunks from L/F on small constant bumps. it's

louder while turning and hitting the bumps at the same time.

anywayz, me and my friend tried everything on it today.

well at least everything before u start replacing parts.

we tried greasing the rubber pieces , cleaned and power washed the entire strut

and the spring, and finally we installed rubber hoses on top and bottom of the

spring. it still clunks. my next option would be replacing the spring since i had

no luck having the dealer replace the struts under warranty. anybody had any luck

by just replacing the springs?
Old May 21, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use to hear the front clunk every now and again, but I haven't herd it in a while.
Old May 23, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by [TYPE]SS
bringing back the old thread..mine clunks from L/F on small constant bumps. it's

louder while turning and hitting the bumps at the same time.

anywayz, me and my friend tried everything on it today.

well at least everything before u start replacing parts.

we tried greasing the rubber pieces , cleaned and power washed the entire strut

and the spring, and finally we installed rubber hoses on top and bottom of the

spring. it still clunks. my next option would be replacing the spring since i had

no luck having the dealer replace the struts under warranty. anybody had any luck

by just replacing the springs?
yes i have had the clunk ever since i've owned the car. within the first week i took it back to the dealer and they replaced the passenger front strut. after it was replaced it went away for about a week then came back. i then took it to another dealer and they replaced the driver side and rechecked my new strut on passenger side. pulling out of the parking lot at the dealer i noticed it again. i went back and they said they had no idea that it must be the spring clunking. they put it back on the rack for about 3 hours and said that they couldn't find anything wrong. it's just something that i've gotten used to over the past 2 years. one of these days i hope to get some coil-overs amd it go away.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Help! I Need Numbers

sorry bringing this old post up again, but I'm getting the same problem as described...But I need all your help!

Those who had the rubber hose installed on their springs to prevent the coil snap...please give me the name and number of your dealership that the work was done at.

Basically, I'm taking my car in this weekend for the same problem and I just want them to know someone somewhere had done this and it solved the problem.

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

hey ppl.
my '04 just started doing that a couple of days ago. happens whenever both wheels go over a bump or into a dip and then come up. i thought it was the downpipe hangers that are loose and making the dp shake around and dip up and down on those spring bolts where it attaches to the turbo. but it sounds like it's coming from the left side and i can feel the clunk with my body. my next guess was swaybar, so from what ppl mentioned about sb end-links, that might be it. looking underneath without getting under the car everything seems ok. this does NOT happen when only one side goes over a speed bump or the whole car goes over uneven bumps so that each corner is bumped around asynchronously. so the most noticeable time is both front wheels travel together. i'm due for free 10 month maintenance so i'll see if they can figure it out tomorrow.
others who had taken it in for this problem, what happened?

update: got the car back from the dealer. they had it up on the lift for oil change and when they put it back down and drove it, there was NO noise! i guess the springs just had to be reseated. i drove it home and it was as quiet as a lamb, if u can say that about evos

Last edited by JoizeeX; Jul 8, 2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 04:22 PM

Dealer told me it is end links

That clunking noise in the front suspension is wear from the end links. I am going to get it fixed next week(on warranty)so we will see if the noise goes away.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Well I fix my clunking noise with the new turbo back... yes turbo-back.. cause it is so freaking loud that I can barelly hear the clunking anymore..
Old Oct 9, 2005, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

mine mysteriously disappeared around July after I changed my oil...and no I didn't lift the end that was clunking, it was actually compressed for the duration.

The noise started in end of May..got really bad in June...and then one magical day in July..gone. I'm baffled.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 07:10 PM

Had a clunking noise, dealer diagnosed as sway bar bushings cracked and fell out. Replace/repaird. A month later, noise is back, very loud this time. Dealer hooks up acoustical sensors all over the front of the car and they drive it around. Diagnoses -- bad r/f strut bearing, AND bad l/f strut. The parts are on order, car goes in this week. Mine clunking's pretty bad, sounds like someone's hammering on the bottom of the car...
Old Oct 9, 2005, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did anyone here tried replacing item no.3 strut insulator coz they do have rubber bushing
in them and they get soggy or tear, may not be able to tell visually if theyr'e bad. these things are very common on toyota's and lexus front mcpherson struts>>>>>>>>>just a suggestion guys hope it helps.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:58 PM

Well I don't know about you, but mine only does it when it is cold outside. thank god its not cold too long down here in NC just like 3 months.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 07:49 AM

Well, car is back from the dealer to fix front end clunking. It's gone! Dealer said they replaced strut bearing and cup. Not sure what the cup is, but it did fix my noise.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Mines been clunking for about a month now.... (9500 miles on the MR, so the bilstein's do the same thing).... It started clunking so bad this week i had to do something. I could hear it just going down the highway at any little bump.
I messed around with the front end some... nothing was loose. However, when i was checking the torque on the front strut tower, i turned it a little without holding the shaft and "clunk"... the spring is just clunking in its cups.

So, i jacked up the front end, and took some lube (used Maxim Chain Wax, motorcycle lube. It is a parifin base so it flows good and doesnt come off with water). And sprayed it really heavy into the uper cup and lower cup.

2 days now... very little clunking. 100,000% better.
Im going to coat it again this weekend..... maybe it will stop completely.
May be the answer.

Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??