Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear sway bar question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear sway bar question

Hi guys,

I need new brackets and bushings for my rear sway bar. One has cracked. Anyways i had a few questions. First, should the sway bar move alot up and down? If I go under my car I can literally push up and down on the bar and it move all over.

Second, what would you recommend for end links and bushings? I think I just want to keep the stock sway bar, but replace the small parts. How is the install if I am just doing end links and bushings/brackets?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
No, your bar should not move at all except in rotation.

If you like the DIY path you can make these for endlinks, works great. http://www.cs.unm.edu/~donour/cars/evo_endlinks/

As for mounts, im not sure. I still have my originals.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
No, your bar should not move at all except in rotation.

If you like the DIY path you can make these for endlinks, works great. http://www.cs.unm.edu/~donour/cars/evo_endlinks/

As for mounts, im not sure. I still have my originals.
Thanks man appreciate it
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should consider purchasing a new sway bar... don't know what you want out of your car, but if you're under there anyway might as well throw a new one on. My aftermarket sway bar came with new bushings and brackets...
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cbr1000
You should consider purchasing a new sway bar... don't know what you want out of your car, but if you're under there anyway might as well throw a new one on. My aftermarket sway bar came with new bushings and brackets...
But im concerned with size? I have a Greddy exhaust and I noticed the problem when hearing a clunk sound under the car. My sway bar moves around alot and bumps into the exhaust. I dont think I want to go bigger because that would increase the issue. The stock one should clear perfectly if I secure it more and replace those minor parts. But its a good thought. If I went aftermarket are there good options at stock size? Which I think is 22mm.

Thanks man
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:38 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr1000
Sways are not something that should be considered "might as well." It vasly alters the characteristic of the car's handling. If the OP is confortable with the with the car the way it is, just replace the bushings, and cracked bracket, and be done. While under there, make sure the endlinks are in good condition and doesn't need replacement.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
Sways are not something that should be considered "might as well." It vasly alters the characteristic of the car's handling. If the OP is confortable with the with the car the way it is, just replace the bushings, and cracked bracket, and be done. While under there, make sure the endlinks are in good condition and doesn't need replacement.

Cool ya thats what I was thinking. The endlinks are also looking a bit worn so I was going to do those as well. Any recommendations on brand or type for stock sway? how's the install? Thanks for the imput!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
sways are not something that should be considered "might as well." it vasly alters the characteristic of the car's handling. If the op is confortable with the with the car the way it is, just replace the bushings, and cracked bracket, and be done. While under there, make sure the endlinks are in good condition and doesn't need replacement.

^^ .
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyrax91
But im concerned with size? I have a Greddy exhaust and I noticed the problem when hearing a clunk sound under the car. My sway bar moves around alot and bumps into the exhaust. I dont think I want to go bigger because that would increase the issue. The stock one should clear perfectly if I secure it more and replace those minor parts. But its a good thought. If I went aftermarket are there good options at stock size? Which I think is 22mm.

Thanks man
You sure it's the size of the bar that's hitting the exhaust? I think it's because the sway bar moves around a lot. You might just need new bushings because that bar shouldn't be moving up and down at all.

If you really want to stay stock size, Whiteline has a 22mm adjustable bar.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chu

It's definately something to consider as an option in my opinion.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
You sure it's the size of the bar that's hitting the exhaust? I think it's because the sway bar moves around a lot. You might just need new bushings because that bar shouldn't be moving up and down at all.

If you really want to stay stock size, Whiteline has a 22mm adjustable bar.
No thats what I mean. Its not the size of the stock bar. Its that its moving around alot. Thats why I originally asked about endlinks and bushings for the stock bar ha. And recommendations for brands and info on installation of just the minor parts not the full bar.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:53 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyrax91
Cool ya thats what I was thinking. The endlinks are also looking a bit worn so I was going to do those as well. Any recommendations on brand or type for stock sway? how's the install? Thanks for the imput!
Very easy to install. First, is safely jack up the car, either on jack stands or ramps. Undo the exhaust hangers in the back, to give you room on the passenger side. Depends on whether you're replacing the endlinks or not will determine what bolts to remove. Assuming you are, disconnect endlinks from lower control arm to remove it with the sway bar together. the brackets are held on my 2 bolts on each side. Remove those and the entire thing wiggles out.

When reinstalling, make sure you lube the bushings so they dont sqeek. Reverse the steps to take off. Tighten everything down to factory spec with the exception of the brackets. You want to leave the brackets alittle loose so that the bar can rotate freely for now. Lower the car on ramps or wood plys or something so the rear wheels are fully planted on the ground. Now tighten the brackets to spec. By doing this, you don't preload the the sways, which also alters handling.

Last edited by chu; Mar 15, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
Very easy to install. First, is safety jack up the car, either on jack stands or ramps. Under the exhaust hangers in the back, to give you room on the passenger side. Depends on whether you're replacing the endlinks or not will determine what bolts to remove. Assuming you are, disconnect endlinks from lower control arm to remove it with the sway bar together. the brackets are held on my 2 bolts on each side. Remove those and the entire thing wiggles out.

When reinstalling, make sure you lube the bushings so they dont sqeek. Reverse the steps to take off. Tighten everything down to factory spec with the exception of the brackets. You want to leave the brackets alittle loose if that the bar can rotate freely for now. Lower the car on ramps or wood plys or something so the rear wheels are fully planted o nthe ground. Now tighten the brackets to spec. By doing this, you don't preload the the sways, which also alters handling.
Sweet man thanks! Ill definitely do the endlinks as well. Now just to buy and put on