Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Is it good or bad to mix and match pads and rotors for autocross?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it good or bad to mix and match pads and rotors for autocross?

I was wondering if anyone has any real world feedback or technical information on whether it's a good or bad idea to use different pads and rotors on the front brakes vs the backs when autocrossing.

For example, I currently have Stoptech pads and rotors on the rears and OEM or "OEM style" pads and rotors on the fronts. I really want to upgrade the fronts before I do any events this year, but should I get Stoptechs since that's what I have on the rears or go with something else like DBA 4000s and Ferodo pads?

Will using a different setup on the front vs the back cause uneven braking?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Mixing rotors isn't a huge deal. But you don't want the front and rear pads too far apart. Which stoptechs are currently on the rear?
Old May 18, 2015, 11:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Imagine someone mixing brake compounds side to side

Front to rear pad compound differences is very common but the fronts should have the more aggressive compound

On the track I run Carbotech 12s front & 10s in the rear
Old May 18, 2015, 12:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Imagine someone mixing brake compounds side to side

Front to rear pad compound differences is very common but the fronts should have the more aggressive compound

On the track I run Carbotech 12s front & 10s in the rear

That's a relatively small difference in pad compound. Where as if the OP has Stoptech street performance pads on the rear, and puts DS2500's on the front, it will be a fairly significant difference in how each end of the car works on the brakes..
Old May 18, 2015, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I just have the street pads on the back, so I was thinking of going more aggressive up front.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That's a relatively small difference in pad compound. Where as if the OP has Stoptech street performance pads on the rear, and puts DS2500's on the front, it will be a fairly significant difference in how each end of the car works on the brakes..
I agree. He noted OEMs up front & the STs in the rear / Its a bit backwards in bias
Old May 18, 2015, 01:24 PM
EvoM Guru

I agree. He noted OEMs up front & the STs in the rear / Its a bit backwards in bias

I thought my OEM brembo pads were better than ST streets. They definitely had better bite, and faded much less quickly at autocross events.
Old May 18, 2015, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

I thought my OEM brembo pads were better than ST streets. They definitely had better bite, and faded much less quickly at autocross events.
The reason my setup is the way that it is is because when I got this car about 6 months ago the front brakes were OK (mechanically) but the rears were toast. I originally wanted to upgrade all 4 at the same time but financially it didn't work out, so I decided to get the rears done asap and waited to get the fronts done when I had some more cash. I'm also not 100% the fronts are OEM. The shop that did the rears thought they might just be a standard pad from Autozone or something. They seem to perform fine on the street but I definitely want to get them switched out before I do any racing.
Old May 18, 2015, 04:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Certainly dont know the technical spec diffs between the 2. I just know when I went from OEM's to Stop Tech's I felt more bite w/the ST's. They are marketed as a cross between & street & light track

Originally Posted by Ian0611
The reason my setup is the way that it is is because when I got this car about 6 months ago the front brakes were OK (mechanically) but the rears were toast. I originally wanted to upgrade all 4 at the same time but financially it didn't work out, so I decided to get the rears done asap and waited to get the fronts done when I had some more cash. I'm also not 100% the fronts are OEM. The shop that did the rears thought they might just be a standard pad from Autozone or something. They seem to perform fine on the street but I definitely want to get them switched out before I do any racing.
In any event, you are doing the right thing in looking at your setup & should upgrade to a matched set