Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

'11 MR 18K - 400awhp on 91 pump... then boom!

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
When I have more time to post I will. A rod breaking isnt tune, that is boost control failure and then excessive torque or simply rod bolt and bad luck. This car left on 15* @8000 and only 25psi. Knock control was set to close to stock. Without having the car here to do the pathology ourselves it will be hard to tell exactly what happened. This car wasnt that difficult to tune, it did have a timing chain reset that needed done that we didnt have time before it got picked up and then recheck the tune. Unfortunately that could have caused issues for all I am aware of.
So my question is: what are your thoughts on his spark plug health prior to boom?
That is the only "evidence" that something was wack versus an instant bad luck catastrophic rod breaking... The plug looks like it was having a rough life... Which means so was everything else.

As a tuner I know your in a tough spot nearly all the time. You have someone saying "give me 400 awhp" and the parts exist to make that happen. But mitsu never designed every other part to survive at that power. I think we all know that we gamble each time we go WOT with big power.

You have to pay to play.

~Jaraxle
Old May 15, 2016, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
The other plug looks fine, only part of the iridium is missing not the entire strap. Had I to wager it was a long pull in high gear. This car has been together at high power for awhile before it came in, had the cat pulled off, cams installed, etc. Rods snapping at low torque isnt a tune, something else was going on. What it was I cant say as I am not local to the car. In the V8 world a stretched timing chain is an indication of a bad mainline (main bearings). I havent thought that to be the case in the X as the design of the chain looked to be more likely.

The low oil pressure however seems to indicate contrary. I dont know how the car is normally used but have done road race tunes for the car in the past (and this time as well) so I can only think there is something related. If we were able to get the engine to look at we may be able to get a clearer idea of what had happened. Since this doesnt seem likely, the world may never know and we have to guess instead.

As far as the iridium breaking (and not the strap) that could be debris from when the motor failed. It circulates thru the entire system and even has been in the lower pipes before. I would presume that is the case based on how the plug looks. If half the strap was missing then I might think the tune went south. This is not the case though and looking at its partner right there I cant imagine anything else. In all the cases I have seen the porcelain breaks before the strap melts off as well, also not the case here.
Old May 18, 2016, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, bummer dude. Hope everything works out.
Old May 18, 2016, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a bummer man I'm sorry that happened. The car made awesome power though