Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Finally replaced the Oem Amp

Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by humblehyper

Are those wire 10 or 12 gauge?
A couple are 16, the rest are 18, and 1 or 2 of them are 20.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by emxracer
Wana replace mine for me?

lol with my luck i will end up messing something up. guess im stuck with the oem amp
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Its really not that hard. One thing to remember is that the pins that plug into the amp are all the same. The colors on the wires may not match up (either the camera's color was off for the above pic or the wires are really not the same in all cars)... but the position on the plug is the same for what their functions are.

Oh... and buy power lines and crossovers ahead of time. Paying for them locally is a RIPOFF! Freakin places around here wanted $120 for a 4amp power line and i can get it online for $35
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spy007
Its really not that hard. One thing to remember is that the pins that plug into the amp are all the same. The colors on the wires may not match up (either the camera's color was off for the above pic or the wires are really not the same in all cars)... but the position on the plug is the same for what their functions are.

Oh... and buy power lines and crossovers ahead of time. Paying for them locally is a RIPOFF! Freakin places around here wanted $120 for a 4amp power line and i can get it online for $35
Yeah, I had a few wires that weren't the same color. But they were all in the right spot.

Quality Auto Sound charges $4/foot for 4ga cable. I got it for a lot less buying a kit online. Stinger wiring FTW!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Webman
Yeah, I had a few wires that weren't the same color. But they were all in the right spot.

Quality Auto Sound charges $4/foot for 4ga cable. I got it for a lot less buying a kit online. Stinger wiring FTW!
Went to one of them, called a couple others and they only would sell me the "kits" which were $120. Freakin ripoff... lol
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:04 PM

Has anyone else done this yet , and if so , any feedback...
ill have my car back in a month or so to tinker around and attempt this and rid the ghey RF amp .
I have a whole set of JL speakers and amp , however im gonna see what the stock RF speakers can do with more ompf/bigger amp feeding them .
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by livevil
Has anyone else done this yet , and if so , any feedback...
ill have my car back in a month or so to tinker around and attempt this and rid the ghey RF amp .
I have a whole set of JL speakers and amp , however im gonna see what the stock RF speakers can do with more ompf/bigger amp feeding them .
I just did mine
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rf-stereo.html
Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:11 AM

This is an excellent write up. I may have to think about doing this sometime in the near future. I like the way the factory Navi looks and works but the sound just doesn't get loud enough especially when I have the windows down the highway.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:59 PM

Excellent write up. I might have to do this myself.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthEvoX
This is an excellent write up. I may have to think about doing this sometime in the near future. I like the way the factory Navi looks and works but the sound just doesn't get loud enough especially when I have the windows down the highway.
Just changing out the amp makes a huge difference in sound quality. I have found that the base rockford equipment (aside from the sub) are actually pretty good when you send them some decent power.

I am planning on possible adding the iPod cable plus a Rockford 360.2 dps to clean up the sound even more and give me some better sound options.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 04:42 AM

Did you use the JL clean sweep for you install by any chance? Or did you just use line in connections?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeroflux
Just changing out the amp makes a huge difference in sound quality. I have found that the base rockford equipment (aside from the sub) are actually pretty good when you send them some decent power.

I am planning on possible adding the iPod cable plus a Rockford 360.2 dps to clean up the sound even more and give me some better sound options.
Does anybody actually know the power the stock RF amp puts out per channel, including the sub-woofer, being that it is dual coil?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Zeroflux
Nevermind I just re-read your response and answered my own question. Good to know that even without a middle man it still makes a huge difference.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Finally did this last saturday and installed the PDX5. After tuning the amp some... damn it sounds SOOOOOO much better than stock. I definately need to fix the rear deck rattle soon though!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally replaced the Oem Amp