Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Finally replaced the Oem Amp

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtboost
If anyone that replaced the factory amp lives in Texas, I'd love to come listen to your car to hear how it turned out. Shoot me a PM. Thanks!
I'm in the process of replacing my factory amp now, and I live in Texas, but I'm doing more than just that. I'm replacing the factory amp with a JL Audio 700/5, headunit with a Clarion NX702, front speakers with JL Audio C5-650, rear speakers with JL Audio C5-650x, and sub with JL Audio 10w3v3 2 ohm.

Therefore, it's going to be a complete custom set-up and not just really "replacing the amp."

I'm glad I'm replacing the door speakers too, because, look at what I removed from my rear doors:

Name:  reardoorspeaker.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  113.1 KB

And the front doors:

Name:  front.jpg
Size:  129.5 KB

Isn't this supposed to be a 600 watt system? Let's do some math: 25 watts times 2 equals 50 watts; plus 50 times 2 equals 150 watts total for the door woofers, plus let's be very liberal and say 20 watts for the tweeters (can't see power rating on them, have crap epoxied on the back for the wiring harness) equals 190 watts. That makes, what, 410 watts for the subwoofer that's not even all that loud (but at an impressive 1.1 ohms none-the-less)? I doubt it, because check this out...

Name:  sub.jpg
Size:  159.9 KB

Yeah, that's the 10" sub. 75 watts? Are you f-ing kidding me? That's the power rating of the JL C5-650 door speakers I'm putting in.

So let's do some more math: (25 x 2) + (50 x 2) + 75 + 40 (for the 'mystery tweeters') equals 265. Where's my remaining 335 watts?

Quite a nice mixture too: 1.1 ohms, 4 ohms, and 2 ohms. I wouldn't put a pricey amp on this sort of crap.

This was the first car I bought that had an 'upgraded' stereo. And with the cost to replace all of this stuff, I can guarantee it'll be the last.

Sometimes you learn a lesson the hard way....

Last edited by JJGTS08; Sep 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Had stuff to add
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:53 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Personally, I feel the factory system is garbage... but your math is off.

First off, you have to factor in ohms. Is it 600 watts at 1ohm, 2ohm, 4ohm? etc.

Second you have to realize the subwoofer is dual voice coil. That means 75watt + 75watt @ 1 ohm.

The system is most likely 2 ohm.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by migs647
Personally, I feel the factory system is garbage... but your math is off.

First off, you have to factor in ohms. Is it 600 watts at 1ohm, 2ohm, 4ohm? etc.

Second you have to realize the subwoofer is dual voice coil. That means 75watt + 75watt @ 1 ohm.

The system is most likely 2 ohm.
Yeah, I managed to f-up the math, sorry. Regardless, after tearing all this apart I'm rather unimpressed and am now glad I'm replacing it all.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Let us know how the head unit replacement goes, I am finally thinking about taking the next step and redoing all the speakers as well but untill I find a good head unit it's kinda pointless.

Do happen to have the steps to get at the door speakers, was it easy? I took a look but wasn't really to interested in tearing it apart when I started this thread but I am now,
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:40 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by JJGTS08
Yeah, I managed to f-up the math, sorry. Regardless, after tearing all this apart I'm rather unimpressed and am now glad I'm replacing it all.
I replaced my entire system.

All kenwood eXile. Even the slim 10" kenwood carbon fiber eXile sub fit in the factory box perfectly. The tweeters fit perfect with their mounts into the tweeter covers. Very happy with it.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Zeroflux
Let us know how the head unit replacement goes, I am finally thinking about taking the next step and redoing all the speakers as well but untill I find a good head unit it's kinda pointless.

Do happen to have the steps to get at the door speakers, was it easy? I took a look but wasn't really to interested in tearing it apart when I started this thread but I am now,
I ordered a few brackets to make my new speakers work from Crutchfield and received their master install instructions for head unit, doors, sub, pretty much everything. I'll see if I can't get it all scanned into a large PDF or something.

As for the doors though, that's easy. There are just 3 screws that hold the door in place. One behind the pull handle (hidden by a flap), one behind the fixed handle (also hidden), and one towards the interior of the car (for the front door), or the exterior of the car (for the back door). After the 3 screws are removed, just pull on the plastic to unseat the tabs that keep it in place.

Removing the door speaker itself is easy: unplug the wiring harness and simply grab the speaker bracket and turn it counter-clockwise for an inch, if that, and you'll feel it unseat.

If y'all are just interested in replacing the head unit and keeping the rest of the OEM stuff, Crutchfield has an adapter harness that costs something like 150 bucks. Want to know why? Here's why...

Name:  photo4.jpg
Size:  126.3 KB

It's a lovely mess, isn't it?

I would recommend what I'm doing, something similar to the Clarion NX702 I'm putting in place of the old unit. It has 6 RCA's so I'm just running 3 pairs of cables to my amp and a wire for remote amp turn-on, and that's it. I'll have to dig-in to find-out about the parking brake bypass (to allow DVD in motion) and steering wheel interface that I also have - other than that, it should just be power and ground.(keyword" SHOULD").

The funny thing about the head unit I'm about to install is that it has a 2.5 star rating - every review is either a 1 or a 5 star - a true love-hate relationship. Hopefully I'll be in the "love" section.

As for the head unit I chose, it does what the factory one does: DVD and navigation. That's all I was wanting, but the ipod/iphone interface is a bonus. Granted since no head unit I've seen has a CANbus connection, you'll lose stuff like instrumentation settings that you could view with the old one, but seriously: how often does one use that stuff? Me? I only used the unit to reset my "maintenance timer." So overall it's not a big loss in my book.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:08 AM

What speaker brackets did you order?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:18 AM

What speaker brackets did you order?
The ones from Crutchfield claimed would work (that's all I find that site helpful for, information and accessories, everything else is too damn expensive), Scosche SAGMEQ656. They're listed for a Chevy Equinox and Saturn Vue, not specifically Mitsu.

Depending on what type of speaker you use them with, they'll either fit perfectly, or you might need to do some cutting on the weird triangle shape speaker hole in the door to make it work.

With the JL's I ordered, some cutting was required and therefore, this stereo will now never go back to stock.

Also, maybe I was just lucky and got the wrong harness, but my experience now is no matter what an installer says, a traditional Mitsu harness will not work on this set-up. I'm having to do it all by hand. Kudos to another forum for posting the essential wires needed (direct from Metra) for an aftermarket install, though. It's kept me going. The only thing I'm losing is connections like "phone mute" - it says it's a brown wire on the harness. Does the Mitsu harness have a brown wire? Yes, but I don't trust it - colors have been funky. Maybe I'll pay a shop to restore full functionality to the unit someday. But then again, I never use Bluetooth (non-handsfree is not illegal in all of TX - yet).

Well I need to get back to it. Now that I've got everything wired-up, I need to physically install the head unit, use the JL Clean Sweep CD to calibrate, and least fun of all: put the car back together.

Last edited by JJGTS08; Sep 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:03 PM

The beast is alive!!

Got the full system installed and calibrated, just need to put the car together.

Might I make a recommendation? When installing a higher powered sub in the factory box (which is certainly possible, although a pain in the ***), look out for how much power you're throwing its way: 300 watts into a JL 10w3v3-2 makes it sounds like the plastic is just going to tear itself apart. Perhaps I just need a Dynamat project - but we'll see...
Old Oct 4, 2012, 05:33 PM

What gauge is the factory wiring that runs to the speakers?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 09:11 PM

What gauge is the factory wiring that runs to the speakers?
18 to the door speakers, 16 to the sub
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:50 AM

I just replaced my oem hu non-nav with the pioneer avicx940, now would I be able to replace the oem amp and still utilize the oem rf sub?!? If so, which amp would be the best bang for the buck to purchase?!? Also, will I still need utilize the mito-02?!! Reason, I'm asking is because I spoke to a stereo installation shop and they said no aftermarket amp would work with the oem sub and they want me to replace my sub as well. I think they're full of **** and just want my money, that's why I'm asking. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:15 PM

Stock sub is dual voice coil at I think 1 ohm per channel, most aftermarket amps aren't setup to run at the resistance rating and the stock sub would likely clip at any good amount of power. I would think the person is right even if they didnt give you a good reason. But otherwise, you would likely want a 2 channel low ohm amp if you wanted to try it out. Not impossible, just not a great idea. Will definitely clip.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by dasmikechen
Stock sub is dual voice coil at I think 1 ohm per channel, most aftermarket amps aren't setup to run at the resistance rating and the stock sub would likely clip at any good amount of power. I would think the person is right even if they didnt give you a good reason. But otherwise, you would likely want a 2 channel low ohm amp if you wanted to try it out. Not impossible, just not a great idea. Will definitely clip.
Awesome. Thank you for the info.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:31 AM

You could also get a mono amp, run the dual voice coil in series to achieve approx 2-ohm load at one channel, but I still think the stock 10" speaker will clip.

Quick Reply: Finally replaced the Oem Amp