Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Removing RF stereo system

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing RF stereo system

Ok, so I have pretty much removed all of the creature comforts in my X to shed weight. I have a custom gauge pod/stereo surround waiting to go in that incorporates a single din stereo. My X has the RF system in it (minus the sub that I have already removed). My question is what additional wiring harness(es) would I need in order to remove the amp and the factory RF head unit? I am thinking of picking up a cheap single din head unit just so I can listen to something on my annual 3 hour trip to the DSM/EVO Shootout or when I want to listen to a game on the way home from the track. Other than that I really could care less about a stereo & I see it as unnecessary weight.

Before anyone gets excited about making the stereo sound worse my car is not a daily driver. I estimate that I have already removed 400 lbs from the car, it has no air conditioning, Corbeau fixed seats, no sound deadening, etc... Actually, I wish they still made 90s style head units that you could pull out of the dash when you park your car. That's how I would roll to and from the track anyhow.

Any help is much appreciated & thank you in advance.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
You could just get a bluetooth adapter and wire it into the RF harness if you're ok using your phone. The RF amp weighs about as much as an aftermarket HU does and the weight of the amp is low, where you want it.

http://www.amazon.com/Milennia-1135-...dp/B00BYGEVA4/

Just grab the left/right line in for the amp and wire some female RCAs or just cut off the male RCAs on the adapter and hardwire it.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:38 AM

you can unplug and remove the amp from under your seat. Then, just get some speaker wire to connect from the stereo harness to the speaker connections shown above. And wire the power/dimmer wires from the speaker harness directly to the car harness. I can post pics if it makes it easier. The only connections you need are: speakers, 12v constant, accessory, and ground (dimmer is optional).
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:39 AM

also, for better weight savings, i would remove the rear speakers. take out the door panels (3 screws) and just twist off the speakers. I only turn on the rears if I have passengers.