Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Factory reflashes, hesitation, stalling, and everything you need to know [merge]

Old Mar 10, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory reflashes, hesitation, stalling, and everything you need to know [merge]

I have seen vendors mention the high rpm stutter under full load that they noticed on the dyno and during driving, but I haven't seen many owners talk about it. I haven't noticed it much, but this weekend I was pulling through a few gears in cooler weather and the stutter was VERY noticable.

Why is it doing this and have any of you guys mentioned this to your dealer or Mitsu?

A vendor had posted that their air intake eliminated this, so I made one and gave that a shot. No luck...it actually became more noticable so I went back to the stock box.

My car doesn't always do this, but I noticed it pretty bad in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear this weekend. I know the dealer won't know anything about it, so I was hoping one of Mitsu's tech guys that lurks through here would take notice. I don't feel that a glitch in a tune is acceptable for a $40K car.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Any suggestions?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

I think they were saying that its from the car running SO rich. Once the intake was put on it allowed more air in so it helped lean it out a bit.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it actually HAS been mentioned by several owners, including myself. Mitsubishi is aware of the problem and they are "allegedly" coming out with a flash in April some time to remedy this along with some idle issues some are encountering.

The sputtering, stutter, whatchamacallit is happening at wide open throttle in the 6000~-ish powerband. Some are more pronounced than others, but the problem IS there and it DOES exist.

Hang in there.. Mitsubishi is aware of it. If your dealer is not, they probably have not bothered to look into it.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

How many miles you got on the car?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by antics22
it actually HAS been mentioned by several owners, including myself. Mitsubishi is aware of the problem and they are "allegedly" coming out with a flash in April some time to remedy this along with some idle issues some are encountering.

The sputtering, stutter, whatchamacallit is happening at wide open throttle in the 6000~-ish powerband. Some are more pronounced than others, but the problem IS there and it DOES exist.

Hang in there.. Mitsubishi is aware of it. If your dealer is not, they probably have not bothered to look into it.
Thank you. This is the response I was looking for, and I will inform my dealer for other owners.

I just turned 1000 miles and I've had the car for about 6 or more weeks I think.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 03:13 PM

im a master tech for mitsu and i havent heard anything yet but will keep everybody informed when i hear anything
Old Mar 10, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mbnworld
im a master tech for mitsu and i havent heard anything yet but will keep everybody informed when i hear anything
Call up techline. They are aware of it.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:58 PM

i had the hesitation issues but now they're not there. i broke the car in at 1k miles. 200 miles latter the hesitation was there but it wasnt as harsh as it was before. I installed an air filter and removed the stock airbox and the hesitation is now gone.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

I have this hiccup occasionally also. I think its pretty common. Just put on a conical intake filter, we will see if mine goes away. The should fix the problem with the thing running so rich, it has to be a rich misfire at 9:1 a/f ratio.

Brian
Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

i have a conical filter and still have the problem.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wickedchimp
+1
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Then your filter ain't big enough then YO! haha

nawww

what kind of filter do you have? Perhaps the airflow is worst than stock?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by R0ME0
Then your filter ain't big enough then YO! haha

nawww

what kind of filter do you have? Perhaps the airflow is worst than stock?
Yea because Im going to pay for a filter that is more restrictive than the stock filter. That makes since.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea because Im going to pay for a filter that is more restrictive than the stock filter. That makes since.
Hey I had to ask...you'd be surprised of the mods some ppl do these days that in the end performs worst than stock.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvilEvo9MR
I think they were saying that its from the car running SO rich. Once the intake was put on it allowed more air in so it helped lean it out a bit.
A more correct explanation would be that the intake has altered the amount of air seen by the maf and as a result the car is running leaner because the ecu has "seen" less air.

Bottom line is the ecu is calibrated for the maf with the stock airbox, filter, and intake tube. A change to any one of those items CAN cause the calibration to be off and as a result the ecu can think there is more or less air flow than their actually is causing the car to run richer or leaner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory reflashes, hesitation, stalling, and everything you need to know [merge]