Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Boost psi peak with Cobb AP?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2009, 01:02 PM
-H-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost psi peak with Cobb AP?

I'm using a stage 2 Cobb map that runs and feels smooth but I'm slightly worried about over boosting. I have been using the baro minus absolute pressure to measure the boost with the AP. I'm not sure how accurate a method it is but I occasionally get a 27.5 psi peak. The ECU isn't throwing any codes but I was wondering if this is unsafe. Most of the time it's hitting at 25.5 psi but there is an occasional spike.

What is an acceptable peak boost with the mods I have listed. I have the boost pill removed as well.

Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2009, 05:30 AM

You need to download the newish firmware for you AP. That way you wont have to do any of that math you are using to find out your boost pressure. Just monitor relative pressure.

I have been having the same issue with my AP. Im running the AEM S2 map on 93 oct and hit spikes of up to 28-29 psi. Cobb needs to come out with a map that raises the wastegate duty cycles to help the people that are over boosting. I think this is a pretty common occurrence and with the weather getting cooler in my area the condition has been getting worse.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You want lower wastegate duty cycles if you want less boost. You can also drop the Boost Control Offset value down a bit and that will lower your overall peak boost targets.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by -H-
I'm using a stage 2 Cobb map that runs and feels smooth but I'm slightly worried about over boosting. I have been using the baro minus absolute pressure to measure the boost with the AP. I'm not sure how accurate a method it is but I occasionally get a 27.5 psi peak. The ECU isn't throwing any codes but I was wondering if this is unsafe. Most of the time it's hitting at 25.5 psi but there is an occasional spike.

What is an acceptable peak boost with the mods I have listed. I have the boost pill removed as well.

Thanks!
I hit 27 PSI everyday that I drive my car and once in awhile 30 PSI. Other than a little knock if it's a hot day vs cold day I havn't had any trouble. I am using 91 oct and I am still working on my timing and my knock counts with this DD version of my 93 oct map (I am only having it between 6,000 and 7,000 RPM at WOT). I have heard the EVO X's engine can handle a lot more load and a little bit of knock and you don't need to worry about building up the the engine until you get over 30 PSI. Correct me if I am wrong. Anyone?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 05:23 PM
-H-

Perhaps it is the colder weather. I hadn't taken that into consideration. If I wanted to bring the peak boost down a hair would you guys recommend tweaking the waste gate duty cycle or the Boost Control offset value?

I really don't mind how the car is performing at all. It's really smooth all the way around and the power is great. My concern was whether the occasional spike was dangerous.

Thanks for the replies!
Old Oct 7, 2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by -H-
Perhaps it is the colder weather. I hadn't taken that into consideration. If I wanted to bring the peak boost down a hair would you guys recommend tweaking the waste gate duty cycle or the Boost Control offset value?

I really don't mind how the car is performing at all. It's really smooth all the way around and the power is great. My concern was whether the occasional spike was dangerous.

Thanks for the replies!
I would say to log and see what your overal PSI is to redline and what rpm you hit your peak PSI at (3,000 to 4,000) and slightly lower your wastegate duty for just that range if all else is good. If your hitting too high boost outside of that range you might want to look at lowering the offset for winter.

Last edited by WickedWhite2008; Oct 7, 2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

The good thing about occasional boost spikes is that they are quick and harmless. If you were peaking 29psi and holding it to 5500 before the taper, then I'd say you should lower the Boost Control Offset. If it's a quick spike that drops to around 26psi right away, I wouldn't even worry about it, especially if there isn't any knock. You can lower the duty cycles right in the area of the spike if it'll give you some peace of mind.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
The good thing about occasional boost spikes is that they are quick and harmless. If you were peaking 29psi and holding it to 5500 before the taper, then I'd say you should lower the Boost Control Offset. If it's a quick spike that drops to around 26psi right away, I wouldn't even worry about it, especially if there isn't any knock. You can lower the duty cycles right in the area of the spike if it'll give you some peace of mind.

+1
Old Oct 3, 2018, 05:52 AM

I’ve been running the Stage 1 Map for 6 months now. I’ve seen 25-26psi regularly. But lately with the cold I’ve seen 29psi. It’s just a spike then goes down, but freaks me out. It’s never during a 3k-7k WOT though, seems to be when I’m rolling in 3rd/4th and WOT around 4Kish. Any one ever had a issue after the years?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by xerxess
I’ve been running the Stage 1 Map for 6 months now. I’ve seen 25-26psi regularly. But lately with the cold I’ve seen 29psi. It’s just a spike then goes down, but freaks me out. It’s never during a 3k-7k WOT though, seems to be when I’m rolling in 3rd/4th and WOT around 4Kish. Any one ever had a issue after the years?
I have na Evo X FE I've been running the 91 stage 1 map for about the same time but yeah I have those spikes in 3rd and 4th and its unsettling to see the boost go up that high. I'd rather have headstuds than headbolts to hold that pressure. Regardless it seems like it's pretty common according to this thread. Would love updates from people whenever anyone gets the chance.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
The OTS Cobb maps have a massive boost spike for most people. The solution is to get an actual tune performed.
The following users liked this post:
bmxhotsauce (Jan 23, 2020)
Old Jan 23, 2020, 02:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 1FastT2
You need to download the newish firmware for you AP. That way you wont have to do any of that math you are using to find out your boost pressure. Just monitor relative pressure.

I have been having the same issue with my AP. Im running the AEM S2 map on 93 oct and hit spikes of up to 28-29 psi. Cobb needs to come out with a map that raises the wastegate duty cycles to help the people that are over boosting. I think this is a pretty common occurrence and with the weather getting cooler in my area the condition has been getting worse.
you guys have to remember this is a base map. not for all applications and what you need is a PROTUNE to really dial the car in.
on pump gas you guys should not be seeing 27-29PSI if so thats really bad. most E85 cars see that with no issues on the stock turbo.