Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Can MIVEC alone do THIS!?!?! (Virtual Dyno inside with pics!)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can MIVEC alone do THIS!?!?! (Virtual Dyno inside with pics!)

Hey guys, I'm a bit baffled right now...

I had a very strange native MIVEC map from my (bought) tune, so tonight I took the time to do it from scratch without changing ANYTHING else...

I flashed it and took the car out to my "3rd gear pull street" and let rip... The exact same way I did a few days earlier without my changed MIVEC map...

Weight was the same if not higher because the tank was full to the brim tonight... Air temperature should have been worse (read higher) tonight as well.

Check out the hp and the Newtonmeters...

Is this even remotely possible I ask you?

Car: 2008 X MR (EDM)
Mods: Air filter, full exhaust, done

PS: A hiuuuuuge Thanks to you knowledgeable guys on evom and ESPECIALLY to brian at GST (hopefully spelt right?). His MIVEC posts basically deserve all the credit here...
Attached Thumbnails Can MIVEC alone do THIS!?!?! (Virtual Dyno inside with pics!)-2-pulls.jpg  

Last edited by germanracing; Jan 7, 2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 03:32 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thats a pretty huge gain. It depends how far off the AFR / Boost / timing was before, and how much the new MIVEC settings brought them back into check. It looks like you have some kind of correction going on there with the wave... so attributing directly to MIVEC is technically correct... but the MIVEC changes may have also caused changes to the other items. It would be much more reliable if it was the exact same road, exact same weather, exact same weight, etc etc.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did it feel like it had 100 more hp? I mean that kind of gain is not easy to overlook on the butt dyno
Old Jan 7, 2011, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JordanS4
did it feel like it had 100 more hp? I mean that kind of gain is not easy to overlook on the butt dyno
Put it like this: My thought during the pull went something like this:

"Hmmm, that's weird, the car felt a lot more stable last time I did this, I can actually feel the beginnings of AYC-action going on here...." (wet road with winter tires / you know what I mean, that kind of torque-steery feel you get, hard to explain, especially for me as a german dude... )

Only when I saw the graph it made sense to me... I only had the Evo X for like 3 weeks now and only ever did about 4 pulls with it total. Just got into tuning stuff myself in the past weeks and there was SOOOO much reading to do first that I didn't even get to drive and more importantly log much yet...

fostytou:
It basically was the exact same conditions, maybe 2 gallons of fuel more and up to 5 °C higher temp... Road was the EXACT same location

Last edited by germanracing; Jan 7, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 08:33 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Next time, hit the on ramp, make a circle, let the car cool down a bit, reflash with new settings, and then repeat. That way the conditions are as close to identical as possible Try to start the run int he same spot, starting speed, and everything.

And yes, mivec is a wonderful thing!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

The stock mivec tables do suck.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Golden
The stock mivec tables do suck.
They weren't stock, which is the weird thing....
Old Jan 8, 2011, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Many more pulls today, updated dyno picture:

Overall it seems like 50NM, which is a buttload more than I could have ever hoped for with 1.5 hours of typing values into 4 maps...

Thanks again Bryan for sharing your knowledge on the Mivec maps! You're a hero of mine!
Attached Thumbnails Can MIVEC alone do THIS!?!?! (Virtual Dyno inside with pics!)-more-pulls.jpg  
Old Jan 8, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by germanracing
Many more pulls today, updated dyno picture:

Overall it seems like 50NM, which is a buttload more than I could have ever hoped for with 1.5 hours of typing values into 4 maps...

Thanks again Bryan for sharing your knowledge on the Mivec maps! You're a hero of mine!
your clutches are opening up around 4200rpms due to overtorque ..

You only need to modify 2 maps .. the other 2 are warmups .. unless it is modified to be high or low gear mivec..

Bryan provided you with a headstart .. you'll be surprised what you can get after that
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Question

Originally Posted by gunzo
your clutches are opening up around 4200rpms due to overtorque ..
You only need to modify 2 maps .. the other 2 are warmups .. unless it is modified to be high or low gear mivec..
Bryan provided you with a headstart .. you'll be surprised what you can get after that
Thanks for that, you are another hero of mine... I used your maps to see the differences between them and the stock maps and draw conclusions from it!

So what would your plan of action be for the overtorque? Less boost? Edit the SST-tables? Is there even defitions for any SST stuff? I haven't found any yet...

Once I solve the SST-overtorque, got any tips on where to turn next? Maybe optimize timings and fuel maps?

(my wideband is in the mail right now, so once it arrives tomorrow or the day after I can really get started... Right now I'm getting 2 knock tops, tested up to like 145mph/Autobahn)

I made the mivec cold-maps a similar version to bryan's, but less pronounced, so just subtracted about 5 across the map and fixed the spots where it went negative to 0... And vice versa for the exhaust side...

Last edited by germanracing; Jan 9, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Yes, amazing what a good mivec map can do to low-end torque isn't it?

If you haven't already seen it, I made a post almost exactly two years ago showing pretty good gains (+45 wtq) from just mivec tweaking:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...advantage.html

Last edited by razorlab; Jan 10, 2011 at 04:37 PM.