Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

CBRD Cobb Tune vs Open Source

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Sounds like you just had a bunch of crappy tunes Rob.

Rob, since it seems age and resumes are a yardstick you can relate to, I am 41 years old, and I have been tuning for 20+ years, street cars, race cars(omg what?!) over multiple continents, time zones and elevations, using Ecuflash, Ecutek, Cobb, Gems, Motec, AEM, PowerFC, E-Manage, HPTuner, Hondata, etc etc. 91,93,94, 100,110, Ethanol, C16, blah blah blah.

And yes, I do think you come across as ignorant on here.

yes i got a bunch of crappy tunes, that was my point.

I was never talking about you and the others i mentioned. That is why i responded to your post with my long one. Just to make sure its clear. I even mentioned your name, but i am not sure you have or dont have a tuner shop, Wich i also stated you as an example, being long time around, only hearing good stuff but maybe not having a shop.

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 1, 2016 at 03:40 AM.
Old May 29, 2016, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After experiencing a friend's Evo X with the same basic mods as me (basic bolt ons) but with an etune by Chett, I'm now seeking to go that route, though I was originally going to sell my Cobb AP, but figure I'd keep it as I'm not likely to get a whole lot for it, and Chett can tune the APs, just need the AP Race software and wideband.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin
After experiencing a friend's Evo X with the same basic mods as me (basic bolt ons) but with an etune by Chett, I'm now seeking to go that route, though I was originally going to sell my Cobb AP, but figure I'd keep it as I'm not likely to get a whole lot for it, and Chett can tune the APs, just need the AP Race software and wideband.
AT Race is free with the serial number on the back of the AP. And MAP has a pretty good deal on the new AEM X series wideband!

http://www.maperformance.com/product...roller-30-0300
Old Jun 1, 2016, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jakgal04
AT Race is free with the serial number on the back of the AP. And MAP has a pretty good deal on the new AEM X series wideband!

http://www.maperformance.com/product...roller-30-0300
I thought Cobb pulled AT Race off the web site. I installed the K&N intake and when I when on the Cobb web page AT Race is gone. I am not sure if I can drive with the K&N intake with out adjusting the tune. Any input..........?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotkupa
I thought Cobb pulled AT Race off the web site. I installed the K&N intake and when I when on the Cobb web page AT Race is gone. I am not sure if I can drive with the K&N intake with out adjusting the tune. Any input..........?
I wasn't aware that they did that. If thats the case I'm glad I sold my AP when I did and switched to open source.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

I had AFE intake on my car at first, than I called Cobb support and asked if it is alright to run it with the SF map. They told me that is not and recommended that I get one of the intakes supported on their web page. So I went and bought K&N Typhoon which was one supported and after I installed I found out that Cobb removed AT Race and K&N intake is no longer supported. I am very disappointed with Cobb at this point. In few months I am going to CBRD to get tuned. I hope my car will be OK till then with the intake.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

I had AFE intake on my car at first, than I called Cobb support and asked if it is alright to run it with the SF map. They told me that is not and recommended that I get one of the intakes supported on their web page. So I went and bought K&N Typhoon which was one supported and after I installed I found out that Cobb removed AT Race and K&N intake is no longer supported. I am very disappointed with Cobb at this point. In few months I am going to CBRD to get tuned. I hope my car will be OK till then with the intake.
+1 for CBRD, having my car worked on there as we speak.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I do find it somewhat entertaining that getting an Ecutek tune by "Big Al" back in the day was what sent me down the path to learn Open Source ECUFlash and do my own tuning back in the day.

There are good and bad tuners throughout the industry, not everyone spends the time to make sure the tune is race ready let alone safe enough for the street. I've seen some really ugly tunes out there where attention to detail was definitely not the priority or they just didn't understand the platform well enough.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 03:46 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I would've ran the sf map on the afe. It uses the stock maf housing. But that's me.

Weird. I know they removed some maps off the website (for different intakes), but they should still have them on file. They weren't able to help? I didn't have a problem when I emailed them and asked for a ams intake map. They sent it right over.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

They offered no help at all, just told me to get protuned.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

WTF's going on with Cobb lately, their site takes 20 years to load too.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

I think they gave up on evo x platform since this is evos last year.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

I think they gave up on evo x platform since this is evos last year.
You'd think they would still support the platform. It's not like every Evo owner just got rid of their car lol
Old Jun 19, 2016, 04:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
First - choose your tuner, then go with whatever he/she recommends.

Second - Big Al! lol flashback
The following users liked this post:
shekaar (Jun 20, 2016)