Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which best describes your oil when you wipe the dipstick on a napkin?
It's dark after less than 1000 miles and it smells like fuel.
56.13%
It's maybe a little dark, but I don't really smell fuel.
30.66%
Clean as a whistle
13.21%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Fuel dilution in oil problem

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 04:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We got ourselves a bunch of huffers in this thread!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coolarrow
Hey Doc, Why is it so important to change the oil to Mobil before flashing the ECU?

Do you see overly rich AFR as a serious threat to the life of the engine?
A Rich A/F Ratio washes critical lubrication from the cynder walls and dillutes the oil. 2 % fuel dillution is considered critical.

If you can easily smell fuel on the dipstick, chances are you are critical.

From what I understand, some sensors may pick up the the over rich fuel mixture from the oil and the flash will be effected...

Total honesty... This part is beyond what I know for sure when it comes to the computer system, but is what I was told..

The Dealer should change the oil before the flash and should be covered under the warranty.. Mobil 1 EP should be used as it is the factory fill.

Doc
Old Dec 5, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Oil Doc
So, you know there is a problem that is contaminating the oil, the oil is suppose to be changed at 3K and you are going to wait to 5K...

Does this make sense to anyone here ?

Doc
I have not smelled mine, so i dont know if it affect my car. That's why i ask if i should be smelling the dip stick or the open the valve cover. There's two schedules for the 2008 Mitsubishi evolution per the Manufacturer maintenance manual, one for 3K and one for 5K. Please dont talk to me like kid, because i am not one.

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
If it breaks, and you can be found at fault, Mits will not fix it... you have a Warranty, not a Guaranty.

Doc
Well if the manual says i can change my oil at 5K driving a certain way, and the engine tuning is at fault, and i was not informed by them(Mitsubishi) who is at fault here?

I just came from the dealer, and the service manager asked if i wanted to change the oil, and i told him that i was doing the schedule with the 5K change he said no problem.

I drive my car very slow most of the time, 98% of my driving is highway and shifting before 3K RPM.

P.S. I am not here to get into a fight, i will be using and i used AMSoil on my previous vehicle.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

^Papi, mitsu released a TSB that states that the oil should be changed at 3000 miles regardless of driving conditions. This is possibly in response to their findings that fuel is getting into the oil.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
^Papi, mitsu released a TSB that states that the oil should be changed at 3000 miles regardless of driving conditions. This is possibly in response to their findings that fuel is getting into the oil.
Now i feel like *ick. This is the first time i read about it. Got a link? I still stand by, i was not informed by Mitsu, so if something were to happen they would be paying for it.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

So do you recommend the Mobile 1 over the Amsoil and Motul synthetic products.

My AF ration dips into the low 10's... has anybody been able to keep it at 11 to 12 through out boost.

That oil problem has been driving me crazy since day 1... I change my oil every 1000 miles... Most of the miles on my car are on a track so since I am constantly on the motor I like to take care of her.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

No link Papi, but it was somewhere in the X section months and months ago. You can probably find it if you look hard enough. Either way, I was just trying to give you the heads up so you don't blow your engine. What amazes me is that we have to look on the forums to find TSBs from someone who has an inside source, because the dealers never seem to know what's going on. I'm surprised that corporate doesn't mandate that the dealers contact and make customers aware of any issues that need attention.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

No link Papi, but it was somewhere in the X section months and months ago. You can probably find it if you look hard enough. Either way, I was just trying to give you the heads up so you don't blow your engine. What amazes me is that we have to look on the forums to find TSBs from someone who has an inside source, because the dealers never seem to know what's going on. I'm surprised that corporate doesn't mandate that the dealers contact and make customers aware of any issues that need attention.
Here is the link to the thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=322045
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
hm thats new for me. I will check my oil tomorrow. I'm over 2500 mile since my oil change so it should be dark then. Last 2500 miles including one track day at lime rock.
So i will see tomorrow.
Thanks for a heads up!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Well that thread looks like hear say. I wasn't told that by anyone at the dealer. And like i said, i told the service manager been with that Mitsubishi and that dealership 27 years i think he told me, and he said that was fine. I will smell the dipstick next time. I put gas yesterday and the oil level was fine, the oil was dirty but not pitch black.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the link scott. Just out of curiosity, how did you find it? I looked for a few and then gave up.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Hot of the Mitsu website just came from it. Even the severe is 3750 miles not 3K

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/...aintenance.pdf Still looking to see if i find something evo specific. I will give Misu a call next and week and ask about it.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the link scott. Just out of curiosity, how did you find it? I looked for a few and then gave up.
Sometimes I use "google" instead of the search function on the website. I can get more specific with "google".
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/...ty_booklet.pdf

Latest Mitsubishi Warranty booklet by Mitsubishi. The 5K service still there.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
Hot of the Mitsu website just came from it. Even the severe is 3750 miles not 3K

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/...aintenance.pdf Still looking to see if i find something evo specific. I will give Misu a call next and week and ask about it.

I too go by the 5k interval oil changes. I also change my oil filter everytime. I just checked my oil tonight and I am at 4k since my last oil change, the oil was spot on full and only had a pinch of black in it. I do however smell a hint of gas in it. I do like doing the 5k interval though because I have my tires rotated at the same time. I guess I could move it down to 4k oil and tire rotate and that would put me in the middle. I do not drive my car hard though and it is stock besides a "Works" drop in air filter. Not sure what to do. I am planning on keeping this car awhile so I dont want gas in my oil diluting it out and wearing my engine componants out.

Quick Reply: Fuel dilution in oil problem