Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo Spool High Pitch Flutter Noise

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Spool High Pitch Flutter Noise

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and searched up and down but could not find anything similar to what I'm experiencing. I just bought a bone stock 2010 GSR with about 52k miles on it and i'm having odd noise from what I believe to either be a boost leak, bov leak or the turbo itself. It is a high pitch fluttering whistle sort of noise only under 3/4 throttle or more when the turbo starts to spool. I attached a video of the noise, 2 full throttle 3rd gear pulls (during the second pull, the noise is more noticeable). The noise happens consistently no matter what temperature or conditions.

Any thoughts on what it could be or is this typical? There seems to be no adverse affects to the performance of the engine.

Here's a link to a post I submitted on evoxforums that includes the above mentioned video clip.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=273985

I appreciate any help, thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just from reading the above post, and from experience, sounds like just valve flutter in your diverter valve, make sure the DV is installed correctly first of all, ive seen people put it on backwards lol, the valve can flutter from an variety of different things, a weak failing spring inside the DV and a boost leak can be culprits, as well as someone putting the DV on backwards lol
Old Apr 24, 2015, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In case anyone is wondering this issue has since been fixed. Must have been a broken baffle in the muffler because I installed the Injen SES axle-back muffler and the whistle was gone. Decent little muffler for the price as well.

Anyways, just wanted to follow up.