Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Premium fuel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the big name gas companies have an additive pack they add to basic gasoline, like the kind you would get at safeway or costco. That additive pack has injector cleaners in it. The difference between premium and regular is the additives to quell detonation. These additives hurt the btu(s) regular gas has. In a sense you are paying for weaker gas, but it is gas that is safer.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nothere
premium gas is regular gas with cooling additives to quell detonation. Those additives hurt btu(s).

If you could keep out of boost you would get more power out of regular than premium.

not saying you should, who can keep out of boost. Some one with water/ meth might get away with it.
wow, that makes no sense at all. if you stay out of boost you won't make any power at all because the EVO's power comes from boost. so short shifting at 3000rpm to stay out of boost isn't going to net you more power from regular instead of premium. that's just dumb
Old Jul 31, 2008, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandit312
1: The sales of Premium are going down with the people that buy it for cars that don't 'require' it... thinking that it's somehow better or cleaner for their car... (which of course we all know is not the case) cars with high compression or boost usually will require 91 (which I believe someone already pointed out)
2: it's pretty much a misnomer to think the higher the octane the better, my truck runs on 116 but guess what, if I don't reprogram the ECU it will do nothing... I may as well be running 91 in it...
3: water/meth injection does a couple of things... a: it helps you run cooler b: it allows you to advance your timing... obviously this means more power...

Lastly, I'm no tuner, nor am I an expert on anything to do with cars, but I'm pretty certain that what i've stated is correct.

and that's my 2 cents... oh by the way.... I can't see unocal/shell/chevron doing this anyway... (as most people already agreed)... especially in socal... too many vehicles here require it...
Well, I personally have noticed that I get around 330-350miles per tank in my Jetta with 93, and only about 275-300 with 87 (I refuse to put anything less than 93 in my X). It's not a 2.0T, it's only a 2.0 making a meager 115HP at the crank, so as far as mileage goes, and as someone else mentioned, internal engine cleanliness, those are 2 pretty good reasons to run Premium in a car that doesn't call for it.

At a ~13 gallon tank, and only .20-.30 more per gallon (depending on where you go) that's like another 1.5-2 gallons of gas for ~$2.60, which in the long run is more economic. I'd suggest you try it yourself in a car that doesn't call for it and see what your results are. Might make you a bit surprised.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

I'd suggest you try it yourself in a car that doesn't call for it and see what your results are. Might make you a bit surprised.
Exactly! People who claim that premium fuel is wasted in a car that states that 87 is ok are not very sensitive to mileage/butt dyno. I borrowed a friend's Toyota pickup that they had always run 87 octane in since new. I refilled it with 92 before returning it, did not tell them (because why would I, I put 92 or better in everything), and his wife thought I had done some sort of tune-up or modifying of their new truck because it went up their hill much faster.
Newer vehicle, designed for regular gas, person with basically zero knowledge of how cars work found it was faster without knowing anything had changed.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:27 PM
Former Vendor

Evo/87 octane= Lancer.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:00 PM

i hope this is a joke! this would really suck for all cars requireing to run Premium!