Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Rear view mirror creaks....i think

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear view mirror creaks....i think

I just purchased a new GSR. When i hit bumps in the road, it sounds like my windshield is creaking around where the rear view mirror attaches to it. I cannot pinpoint the sound. Im not sure if it is the mount, or if it is the swivel part of the arm on the rear view mirror. Has anyone else experienced this? If so i would like to know what to look at.....

Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

I also have a creak when I hit bumps. I can tell it's coming from towards the center of the car, but I can't find it either. I was thinking it was maybe inside the dash, but it seemed higher than that. I never suspected the mirror. I may grab it the next time I hear a squeak.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm getting a squeak as well, was coming from the glove box.. pushed it in and it would stop for a bit.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 01:27 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have all sorts of rattles and squeaks in my stock Evo 10... much more than the Evo 8 I had before.

While everything looks better in the Evo 10, the build quality is not better.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

The glovebox squeak/rattle is a particularly nasty one.

Originally Posted by ZK
While everything looks better in the Evo 10, the build quality is not better.
So true. My Si feels like a Lexus in comparison, which is amusing considering you could almost get 2 of them for the price of an Evo and Honda's well-deserved reputation for creaky interiors.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

I've got a few squeaks and rattles...always dependent on the weather though. However, it doesn't bother me too much, I tell myself I'm driving a Mitsubishi. LOL! If I had a BMW or Lexus and had these rattles, I wouldn't put up with it.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

I had a creek, rattle as well. It sounds like its coming from the front but in actuality it was the license plate holder from the dealer. It rattles and sounds like its coming from the front. I put a heavy duty plate holder and its better but the prob is there is only 2 screws holding the plate/frame and the wind pulls it up and makes it rattle. To test my theory, take a piece of folded up paper and put it behind the License plate or holder and see if you don't have less rattling.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
I just purchased a new GSR. When i hit bumps in the road, it sounds like my windshield is creaking around where the rear view mirror attaches to it. I cannot pinpoint the sound. Im not sure if it is the mount, or if it is the swivel part of the arm on the rear view mirror. Has anyone else experienced this? If so i would like to know what to look at.....

Thanks.
A lot of new vehicles come with 2 little plastic tabs glued to the top of the windshield. they are there to hold the glass from sliding down while the urethane (glue) dries. The urethane is a little soft to allow flex so the shield doesn't crack when the body flexes. The body flex causes the 2 little tabs to creak/squeak.

Pull the headliner down a little on either side of the mirror and you should see the two clips. You can break off the little nipple that sticks through with a pair of pliers. That should take care of your squeak. If your afraid of cracking the glass try a little silicone spray up there.
If you can duplicate and prove to a dealer that the noise is comming from the clip they should replace the windshield for you.
I worked in auto glass for 7 years and I did plenty of replacements for dealers because of these little tabs.
Most new shields dont come with the tabs and if they do, auto glass technicians cut them off.
Hope this helps.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mdesi
A lot of new vehicles come with 2 little plastic tabs glued to the top of the windshield. they are there to hold the glass from sliding down while the urethane (glue) dries. The urethane is a little soft to allow flex so the shield doesn't crack when the body flexes. The body flex causes the 2 little tabs to creak/squeak.

Pull the headliner down a little on either side of the mirror and you should see the two clips. You can break off the little nipple that sticks through with a pair of pliers. That should take care of your squeak. If your afraid of cracking the glass try a little silicone spray up there.
If you can duplicate and prove to a dealer that the noise is comming from the clip they should replace the windshield for you.
I worked in auto glass for 7 years and I did plenty of replacements for dealers because of these little tabs.
Most new shields dont come with the tabs and if they do, auto glass technicians cut them off.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, i will take a look for these clips this weekend.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

You guys also have to remember our suspension is much stiffer than a honda, I had an 08 GTS with no noises or rattles, I get into the EVO equipped with the same interior and the noise sounds off... Thats why we have the 650 watt rockford lol.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xtremist
You guys also have to remember our suspension is much stiffer than a honda, I had an 08 GTS with no noises or rattles, I get into the EVO equipped with the same interior and the noise sounds off... Thats why we have the 650 watt rockford lol.
Maybe it is, but the Si certainly has a rougher ride in some circumstances. Hmm, how to explain... I feel more bumps in the Evo, but the severity of the bumps I do feel in the Si is greater. Perhaps due to progressive spring rate differences? I don't know. In any case, both rattle more than I'd like. I'll probably try to hunt down if we have those tabs that mdesi mentioned sometime this weekend.

The Rockford system is excellent, but there are times you just want to cruise along and listen to the engine.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by saytheb
I'm getting a squeak as well, was coming from the glove box.. pushed it in and it would stop for a bit.
I have this same exact problem, yet I did NOT have it in my 09 Lancer GTS. I just reach over, open and shut the glove box and it goes away for a bit.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
glove box
seat belt on the b pillar (that one's VERY annoying since it's right by my ear)
radar detector on the glass
something up on under the dash on the left and right side

All rattles that drive me nuts when I turn the radio down.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

The glove box is the worst of them. I open it up, shake it around, and close it again. Not horrible, but certainly annoying and sometimes embarrassing: "Hey can you open and close the glove box for me? Thanks."

And it always returns...
Old Apr 3, 2009, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

I fixed mine with those plastic one side tape furniture sliders..They raise up about 1/2 inch or so..That worked best..Also the noise that sounds like the rear view mirror is actually under the headliner..I got some spray foam window sealer to fix as well..I cant stand the noises and this did the trick