Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is your paint chipping?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is your paint chipping?

I copied this from the RA section. I really hope more people will participate in this.

Here's some hope:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/0...da-engines.htm

"The agency said that “it appears that the paint of some late-model Mitsubishi vehicles is unusually fragile and chips easily.”

But the Automotive Protection Agency is canadian based, so only Canadian drivers can report this issue currently..

"APA Investigation : Fragile Mitsubishi Paint
It appears that the paint of some late-model Mitsubishi vehicles is unusually fragile and chips easily. The APA has designed a new form to gather the information that will allow us to better understand this problem and help consumers. Do not hesitate to fill this form if your Mitsubishi exhibits this problem."
link: http://www.apa.ca/documents/Mitsubishi_yournamehere.doc

I filled out the information and got a response from the person running this.

This is what he said:
Hello,

Even though we protect interests of canadian residents, we would still like to have the details of your situation if you would like to fill out the form attached to this email. We will write Mitsubishi shortly after we compile all of our complaints and can keep you informed on the progress.

L'équipe de l'APA
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spent nearly $1,000 on 3M clear bra which has protected my paint from major rick chip damage but I still filled out the form and sent it ripping (and I mean ripping) the quality of paint. Hopefully enough others will send this in as all we have is strength in numbers. Something has to be done or an industry minimum standard has to be set up so that consumers aren't screwed by purchasing automobiles with below standard paint.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

same, i will send this asap!!
Old Aug 22, 2010, 07:17 AM

mine chips but some idiots smacks into it or throws blown out tires at it on the highway regularly so most of the car has been repainted.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah my paint sucks big time. how is mitsu going to upgrade this car soo nicely and skimp on the paint ?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 07:36 AM

i plaster my car in wax and it's kept the chipping to a minimum. so far only 1 chip on the mirror. hoping to install ventureshield on my car soon
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:43 AM

I've only got one chip on my one year old x, but it's dead center on the hood scoop. It's freaking annoying.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by jackal5555
I've only got one chip on my one year old x, but it's dead center on the hood scoop. It's freaking annoying.
I actually had that issue, but mine wasn't a chip...I was cleaning snow off my car with my hand and when I wiped that area, a huge chunk of paint literally wiped off. Dealer repainted the scoop under warranty though.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:03 AM

I have 17k on my 08 Evo x and the paint is already chipped to where I wash the car, all I can see is white spots. The front looks hideous.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

same situation as Turvo... I found one chipped spot on driver side door while I was washing her the weekend. Mine wasn't even 5K kilometers.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:45 PM

I have no chips so far "knock on wood"
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:32 AM

All you guys with very few chips...get used to it, it's only gonna get worse! I have 7k miles on the evo in a bit over a year and I've put at least 7 coats of wax on it, RA mudflaps, no tailgating...rock chips on the front (I've decided it's better to let them be rather than use the mitsu "touch up" paint - the touch up stands out against the reflection more than the chips) and I have even more chips on the rear quarter panels. Buying this car has taught me to not sweat the small stuff!

PS I have a 2008 RR, I've read that the 2010s have improved side skirts that reduce the rear quarter panel damage

Last edited by Havicaz; Aug 24, 2010 at 01:35 AM.