Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need advice Mitsu is denying warranty

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leo_99
but to get back on track i did not hit the rev limiter. I have never been to a track or on a dyno. I never missed a downshift. I have only had this car for 2 months. Not even enough time to do an oil change.

I purchsed this car with an aftermarket warranty that cost me $3000. My point is why the hell did they charge me money for the warranty if they will not honor it?? If i cant get my car serviced then i would like a refund for my $3000 so i can pay for my own repairs since it seems i will be paying anyways.

But to get back on track. It is easy to say well that is how Mitsu is. They dont honor their warranties. But there has to be something we can do. Some of us are responsible Evo owners.

What I am looking for is not excuses of why they wont help me but some solid advice on how i can get some help. There has to be someone I can call. Laywer, better business bureau, something...
If a dealership denys you then you should take it up with Mitsu directly. Give Mitsu the opportunity to take care of the problem first. After that you will have to take it another direction. Maybe the Department of Transportation. Or FTC. I don't think you can file a BBB against Mitsu. BBB doesnt matter anyways as they dont do **** for the consumer. You could file a small claims against them. As an edit I forgot you are in Canada. I'm not familiar with the gov't agencies available there to help the consumer at times like this.

The problem is that you bought the car used with the current mods on it. So your fight might have to be against the dealership you bought it from or that 3rd party warranty. Like others have said good luck with that 3rd party warranty. They usually are scum and just a waste of money.

You have an issue with 1, the over rev. And 2 your cat. I would think you could prove the over rev by when you purchased the car to when the over rev occured. And then with the cat you bought it like that. So the dealership sold it to you that way and told you that the Mitsu warranty was transferable and they sold you on an extended warranty. If the car was not able to be warranted because of its condition when they sold it then maybe you battle might be with the dealership.

I would say to first off get ahold of Mitsu. Like I said for me it took alot of effort but they eventually took care of my warranty issue. But throughout the whole process I probably lost about a grand from rentals, to rides, to missed work. I'm sorry to hear you have to go through this and honestly I can relate personally. But this is why I bought a new Evo even though I could have found a used one for cheaper. Any used car is a gamble. Especially a performance car like the Evo. And I would never buy one of those 3rd party warranties. More times then not they are a rip off and will not honor warranty work when needed.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry you are missing the point. He LIED about the over rev and i called him out on it. Then he back petaled and said there was not a code for it but the chain could only damage from abuse or neglect.

He thought i didnt know anyuthing about cars. He said that i had a code that told him that. I asked him which one and showed him my code scanner and saved code. Then he back petaled.

I tried calling Mitsu customer care and they said that they could not over turn any dealer decission. I am not sure what to do man. This is bull ****.

I am not upset the car broke, its one of the gambles of owning a sports car. I had a 99 Eclise turbo that i was always working on. I bought a warranty to protect my investment or so i though.

I have owned other cars, Hondas, Mazdas etc and NEVER had an issue with a warranty. Sometimes it took longer then expected but i was ALWAYS covered.

My point is the chain has no maintenance cycle like a timing belt does. Therefore it should in theory last as long as the motor. The fact that the chain failed at 52k miles tells me that the chain is inferior and if research that i have done it looks like it was revised in later models and the oil squirts were removed.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually, he didn't have a P0219, so there's no evidence of an over-rev. It could well be that Mitsu techs are told to accuse owners of this as a reflex whenever there's evidence of chain-stretch, as there is here. Until a Mitsu tech shows the OP a P0219 pulled from his ECU, that's not a valid excuse.

With that said, I agree with the rest. First you escalate to Mitsu directly, since the car's mileage puts it in warranty. (This is where the OP needs to decide if he wants to put an OE cat back on [and undo any other powertrain mods] and try a different dealer first. If you escalate to Mitsu Corp based on this dealer's denial, you know that Mitsu will hear about the cat.) If Mitsu still says no, I'd try the extended warranty next. They could easily say No for any of three reasons: (1) the car is still covered by Mitsu, (2) the mods, or (3) because they are a slimy extended warranty seller. Only then start thinking lawyer, because the fees are probably going to be more than the cost of a replaced chain.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

If you installed HIGH FLOW CAT without a tune (EVEN WORSE) or with a tune and have any engine related problems, how can you expect Dealer to honor warranty? Read the instruction manuals and stop getting pissed off at dealerships when they are just doing the right thing by denying your claim.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

I tried calling Mitsu customer care and they said that they could not over turn any dealer decission. I am not sure what to do man. This is bull ****.
You are 100% correct that the above is BS. They sure as heck can over-rule a dealer. They do it all the time. Even more, they are the people who issued the warranty. Call Mitsu Corp again and keep asking for a supervisor until you get someone who will make a decision for Mitsu Corp.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3000GT-GTO
If you installed HIGH FLOW CAT without a tune (EVEN WORSE) or with a tune and have any engine related problems, how can you expect Dealer to honor warranty? Read the instruction manuals and stop getting pissed off at dealerships when they are just doing the right thing by denying your claim.
How does an aftermarket cat stretch a timing chain? (I'm not disagreeing that Mitsu would use this [or almost any other] excuse to deny, but I'm wondering if you are siding with "the man" because you know "the man" is right or what.)
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

You are Raising your boost by installing Hi flow cat and exhaust without a tune,
and who knows how much boost you are spiking up to and running lean condition .
Overboosting will cause all kinds of engine damage, its just a matter of time

Last edited by 3000GT-GTO; Apr 15, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Perfect. Thanks.

OP: be ready for exactly the above kind of thinking if you go to Mitsu Corp on this and they learn about the cat. There's no step-by-step reasoning against which you can argue, just a blanket "more power bad" justification for the stretched chain. And, I'm sorry to say, that is why you'll lose. Pointing out that there a many 500+ h.p. 4B11s out there with the original-style chain will not help you, either. "More power bad." You lose.

I can't imagine having anything else useful to say (and have my doubts as to whether I've said anything useful up to now, really). I bow out. I wish you luck. When I thought I'd stretched my chain I flipped out, because most of the attempts to get this covered under warranty have failed. But some people have succeeded, so don't go down without some fight.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:21 PM

well to that rebutal they released the car in europe with 400 hp. So you are telling me that my 291 hp car would break by installing a 12 hp exhaust??

I think you are drinking the koolaid! These cars come pig rich. In fact there was a ecu update to fix an ssue that would cause the car to be so rich at 5k that the car bogs. I asked for this update but the dealer said i would have to pay $99 for the update. So i said how do i know not having this update did not cause my car to fail!

I was going to tune the car but did not want to void my warranty. Little did i know Mitsu's do not come with a warranty
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

What are you a moron to compare FQ-400 reliablity vs your 290 HP EVO with exhaust and and ****ty cat with no tune?
And Exhaust Hi flow cat does not give you just 12hp, you coming from HONDA Civic forum?
How long have you been Driving your 08 Evo X, why dont you go to evo x tuning section see some dyno chart before telling people this 12 HP HONDA BULL S*HIT .

Last edited by 3000GT-GTO; Apr 15, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'm with you. i think it's ridiculous but your options are pretty limited.

i know my warranty is 5 yr 60k for powertrain so mitsubishi doesnt need to do anything.

so either you can pursue your 3rd party company to cover the part + labor. if they deny it, then
a. refund the warranty. use the money and have it fixed.
b. or you can try to take them to court. at that point they would most likely try and settle rather than pay legal fees.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3000GT-GTO
What are you a moron to compare FQ-400 reliablity vs your 290 HP EVO with exhaust and and ****ty cat with no tune?
And Exhaust Hi flow cat does not give you just 12hp, you coming from HONDA Civic forum?
Yeah. Those FQ-400 are so bad. I would love ot have one of them. They are also about $50k so I assume they have a few more upgrades over ours. They put those FQ-400's in competition with a GTR

sorry you are missing the point. He LIED about the over rev and i called him out on it. Then he back petaled and said there was not a code for it but the chain could only damage from abuse or neglect.

He thought i didnt know anyuthing about cars. He said that i had a code that told him that. I asked him which one and showed him my code scanner and saved code. Then he back petaled.

I tried calling Mitsu customer care and they said that they could not over turn any dealer decission. I am not sure what to do man. This is bull ****..
I am not missing your point and understand what you are saying. This is very normal. Especially with an Evo. They will try to deny you warranty work whenever they can. And a dealership lying to someone??? Who would have thought that? lol

They denied warranty on the top on my Eclipse spyder for no reason at all.. They just said "no". The issue was something that Mitsu had put a TSB out over and my car is completely stock with 25k miles on it. The dealership did not tell me nothing other than "Mitsu denied the coverage".

So I called mitsu and they informed me they denied coverage cause the dealership did not upload photos. All in all it had to deal with Mitsu and a stupid dealership for almost a year and spent almost a grand. it was a horrible experience and pretty costly. Mitsu is horrible when it comes to honoring warranty coverage. The dealerships they allow to sale/service their product is even worst.

I believe you called those retards out. I did the same in my situation. But it didnt make anything easier. Call up Mitsu. If they say sorry then speak to a supervisor. Keep going up the chain until someone helps you out. Mitsu might decide to warrant your car but might then put you through what they put me through and end up costing you more in rentals and headache than just finding a shop to fix your issue. It just is what it is. Welcome to Mitsu. This is how they treat their customers and why they are in danger of pulling out sales in the states and why their sales decline year after year. You bought a used Mitsu. I have bought 4 new Mitsu's in my time. They treat me just as bad. They really dont give a squat about their customers after the point of sale. Dont expect nothing from them and be happy if they do something for you.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:59 PM

Stock
Max Horsepower: 256.76 whp
Max Torque: 278.66 ft.lbs
Catback Exhaust (No tuning)
Max Horsepower: 268.21 whp
Max Torque: 286.74 ft.lbs

My mistake, 13 hp!

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...lCatback.shtml

There are the dyno numbers for the exhaust i purchased. And its 13 hp if you run a test pipe. No disrespect but if you dont have any advice on how to help the situation why bother to make comments?

There are a hundred and one posts on all the evo forums about the chain stretching. I was hoping to find someone with real experiences and how it was handled. Not debate whether or not I am allowed to install a cat. We all know it has nothing to do with the timing chain. It is just an easy cop out for them. Thats like saying i wont honor your warranty because you painted your valve cover pink
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

You missed the HI FLOW CAT, that you said INSTALLED .

Last edited by 3000GT-GTO; Apr 15, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

problem isnt even HP its BOOST level and airfuel ratio, stop using your HONDA mechanics on EVO.
If you cant understand why Hi Flow Cat and Exhaust would damage your engine without a tune, then you shouldnt even modify your car period.

Last edited by 3000GT-GTO; Apr 15, 2012 at 08:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Need advice Mitsu is denying warranty