Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need advice Mitsu is denying warranty

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry guys i should have mentioned I am in Canada so that is 85000 KM which is under 52000 Miles so the original warranty SHOULD still apply.

I got 3 different excuses as to why they would not honor the warranty, none of them were logical. It appeared they had no intention of helping me to begin with. I can understand if i REMOVED the cat and had a test pipe and say my rear o2 went on me. then i could see them saying that because i had no cat it caused damage. But how does a high flow cat have anything to do with the timing chain that we all know is inferior!

They went on to say that the chain was a wear item similar to a clutch so that is not covered anyways. So i said to him that if this is a wear item please show me in the manual the maintenance schedule for the chain. I know for my eclipse the timing belt needs to be changed at like 60k miles. Since there is no reference to the chain the assumption is it should last as long as the motor does.

I also brought up that i know they revised the chain so clearly there was an issue that they addressed. I gave them both part numbers and they tried to tell me that my car already had part # 1140A073 installed. From what I have read this part number did not come out till 2011. Can anyone back this up? Wasnt the original timing chain part # MN183891?

So is the warranty transferable?? Hopefully not as i would just rather deal with the 3rd party vendor. I can say i bought the car with the cat on it when the sold me the warranty so either fix the car or give me my money back
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unless Mitsu has a special set of rules for warranties in Canada that would stop it from transferring between owners (which is quite possible, so check), then it does transfer and you're under 60k miles, so it would normally apply. This means we should be talking about warranty denial. But you're not going to like my opinion on this....

Even if you escalate this to the corporate level, I believe that Mitsu will continue to deny, either because there's an over-rev saved on the chip or because of the cat. I am not saying that I agree that a high-flow cat will cause you to stretch a timing chain, but I am warning you that it's an unauthorized powertrain modification that they could use as the excuse and that you would probably lose if you sued. Maybe judges in Canada know more about cars than judges in the States; maybe judges in Canada are more pro-consumer than judges in the States. But, down here, the likelihood of losing is high enough to make it not worth the effort to try unless it's a $2k+ repair.

Remember: I am not a lawyer, but I can read. (And that puts me in the 90th percentile for this thread, it seems.)
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Even if you escalate this to the corporate level, I believe that Mitsu will continue to deny, either because there's an over-rev saved on the chip or because of the cat. I am not saying that I agree that a high-flow cat will cause you to stretch a timing chain, but I am warning you that it's an unauthorized powertrain modification that they could use as the excuse and that you would probably lose if you sued.
Have the Evo X's always had this "Blackbox" type recording chip in them? I thought our cars didnt have that. And what is "over rev"? Rev'ing over 7k?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, weird. I'm the 3rd owner of my Evo and Mitsu is willing to warranty the rear hubs for me. I called Mitsubishi directly and had it verified at the dealership that the car still has warranty. Not sure why they would schedule me an appointment and say that it was covered under warranty when so many people on this thread say otherwise.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP...
Like I said before. I was denied warranty work on my Eclipse. It wasnt Mitsu denying me but the dealership. I called up Mitsu directly and spoke with the rep for my area. After jumping through a few hoops while pulling some teeth, I was able to get Mitsu to honor the warranty. They do put up a fight if they can.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:45 PM

When I went to the dealer last month I asked the Mechanics what would void my warranty (Just got it Feb. 29th). He said basically anything besides an intake or Drop in filter will void your entire mechanical warranty...........

Your CAT voided you!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by leo_99
sorry guys i should have mentioned I am in Canada so that is 85000 KM which is under 52000 Miles so the original warranty SHOULD still apply.
Oh silly Canadians. You forgot we were talking aboot miles, not kilometers.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kendogg
OP...
Like I said before. I was denied warranty work on my Eclipse. It wasnt Mitsu denying me but the dealership. I called up Mitsu directly and spoke with the rep for my area. After jumping through a few hoops while pulling some teeth, I was able to get Mitsu to honor the warranty. They do put up a fight if they can.
Agreed. This is what I mean by "escalate the claim." You go over the dealer's head.

The only problem is that Corporate will contact the dealer and the dealer will tell them about the high-flow cat. You could, I suppose, put an OE cat back on and go to a different dealer and, if they deny, then escalate from there and hope that Corporate only contact the dealer that denied you ... but that would be somewhat unethical, so I didn't say this. Dennis Grant hacked my account and made this particular post.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Metatron
When I went to the dealer last month I asked the Mechanics what would void my warranty (Just got it Feb. 29th). He said basically anything besides an intake or Drop in filter will void your entire mechanical warranty...........

Your CAT voided you!
ninja edit ... I give up

Last edited by Iowa999; Apr 15, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kendogg
Have the Evo X's always had this "Blackbox" type recording chip in them? I thought our cars didnt have that. And what is "over rev"? Rev'ing over 7k?
I believe that we all have this. The ECU saves a freezeframe of any time RPM is over something like 8400. Search around if you want the specific value. It's not a separate "black box"; it's part of the ECU.

Note, however, that a saved over-rev doesn't automatically mean that you're SOL for a timing chain. At least one person on this site reported a saved value of something ridiculous, like 15000, and Mitsu honored the warranty as they knew this must have been a clitch.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:52 PM

the rev thing is only in 2010 and higher models. But isnt there a rev limiter anyway to protect the engine??
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, there's a rev-limiter, but you can down-shift a GSR at the wrong time.

How sure are you that pre-2010s don't save an over-rev? I'm not disagreeing (for once); I just haven't heard that before. In any event, here's a recent thread about over-revs that worth a read (if not only for watching people being mean to each other, which is what the internet is all about, right?): https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...code-help.html
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:32 PM

I checked and i didnt have that code. I had the following:

P0016
P0011
P0300
P3937
P3930
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:25 PM

but to get back on track i did not hit the rev limiter. I have never been to a track or on a dyno. I never missed a downshift. I have only had this car for 2 months. Not even enough time to do an oil change.

I purchsed this car with an aftermarket warranty that cost me $3000. My point is why the hell did they charge me money for the warranty if they will not honor it?? If i cant get my car serviced then i would like a refund for my $3000 so i can pay for my own repairs since it seems i will be paying anyways.

But to get back on track. It is easy to say well that is how Mitsu is. They dont honor their warranties. But there has to be something we can do. Some of us are responsible Evo owners.

What I am looking for is not excuses of why they wont help me but some solid advice on how i can get some help. There has to be someone I can call. Laywer, better business bureau, something...
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

I assume that you're talking about One Auto, as they are an extended warranty seller. If so, have you talked to them yet? They aren't Mitsu.

P0011 = cam timing
P0016 = crank/cam timing
P0300 = random misfire
P3930 & P3937 = ???

The first two (and maybe the third, as well) fit the idea that the timing chain has stretched.

Quick Reply: Need advice Mitsu is denying warranty