Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Buying out of state?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying out of state?

I found a 2008 Evo X MR on ebay which I am really interested in buying. I have never bought a car out of state like this. Ebay has this protection policy that if I find any issues with the car within 10 days I can ship the car back and get a full refund. Also, I plan on getting an inspection done on the car by www.inspectmyride.com. Has anyone bought a car this way before that can give me any advice or suggestion?

Also, can anyone tell me how reliable is the MR transmission? and is the maintenance cost going to be more for MR transmission than the GSR?

Last edited by iWantEvoX; Jun 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have no comment on eBay, but the one mistake I've seen people make when buying out-of-state from a dealer is paying local sales tax. You don't. You pay the sales tax to your own state when you register the car.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a new Evo X out of state, Houston, Texas to be exact. Got it from Hub Mitsubishi. Had it shipped to Minnesota for $600. As was said, do not pay the sales tax out of state. The only problem with buying a used car out of state is that it is hard to know the condition of the paint and interior. But, with the buyer protection, you should be fine.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 12:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do your due diligence. Find somebody local to go check out the car personally, get a pre purchase inspection done, pull car fax report, etc etc. Even if you are buying over ebay, do you really want to deal with ebay conflict resolution and deal with shipping the car back? It should be only for the worst case scenario.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

I purchased my Evo out of state as well. But mine was from a dealer so it had no issues.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

I bought my previous evo from another state and my current GSX out of state as well. I will never buy out of state from a private seller for awhile, let's put it that way. The evo was garbage and the GSX needs things I don't feel like dealing with to pass inspection. Make sure you look into that before sending anyone any money, I have learned this the hard way and I'm only 19.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 03:55 AM
Evolved Member

i bought out of state with no problems. flew down, the seller picked me up at the airport, a quick test drive to the local dmv and everything was done. just depends on who you are buying from IMO.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iWantEvoX
I found a 2008 Evo X MR on ebay which I am really interested in buying. I have never bought a car out of state like this. Ebay has this protection policy that if I find any issues with the car within 10 days I can ship the car back and get a full refund. Also, I plan on getting an inspection done on the car by www.inspectmyride.com. Has anyone bought a car this way before that can give me any advice or suggestion?

Also, can anyone tell me how reliable is the MR transmission? and is the maintenance cost going to be more for MR transmission than the GSR?
I would defintely get a post sale inspection done on it. I had a local dealer find my 2008 X for me, I happened to know the person, he bought the car from auction, we had a post sale inspection done that covers your major problems, trans, differential, engine, transfer case, frame. He got a carfax for me, the car was clean. If you can, I would definitely have another local place inspect it for you, pay them the inspection fee, it could save you $1000 in repairs down the road. Its ok to buy a car on eBay, just make sure the seller has a good track record, and runs a ligitimate business, the time you take in doing your homework on the dealer/private seller will reflect in the quality of the product you get. If you want more detailed pictures and the seller won't give you any, then that right there raises red flags. Good luck!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 01:19 AM

I don't really trust eBay when it comes to buying cars.. just makes me feel "iffy" about them. But in general for out-of-state purchases.. make sure you research what type of information you might need to bring back in other to register the vehicle in your state. More importantly.. make sure you're aware if there is or isn't a current lien on the vehicle. You NEVER pay sales tax for the state you're purchasing the vehicle from (the seller pays that). Have the car inspected in any which way possible before obtaining the vehicle. If you're picking up the car.. get a temporary plate from the DMV where the car is being picked up from. If you're shipping it.. find a reputable car shipping company like DAS or something.

Most importantly.. exercise your due diligence.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

if it's coming from a dealer, you could hit up your local Mitsu dealer and ask about a dealer-dealer trade to get it.

I did this for my mine as a new car. However I can see how used car + ebay is probably better to go the route of the suggestions above.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

I bought mine out of state in Texas. A heads up if you do buy from Texas, apparently Texas law requires sales tax be assessed at time of purchase. Know your state's tax rate, have them assess that, and then they mail a check to your local tag agency/DMV of your choice for the tax money.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iWantEvoX

I have no experience with Ebay. What I do know is that you have to apply for the title to the car in your own state, and apply for new plates.

As far as tranny, the SSTs are reliable up to the high 300's WHP. So, if you plan on keeping it stock, you're fine. If you get in to that 375+ range you'll want to look at a tranny cooler and clutch pack.

The GRS trannies can handle quite a bit more.