Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2 MAF sensors in over a month

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 MAF sensors in over a month

So I recently had the elusive MAF sensor P0102 code come up. So I ordered the new MAF, installed, and all was good. So today (2 weeks later) I changed out my tial -11 spring with a -8 and coincidentally I went for a short ride to make sure it was running right and went to park it and the RPM's stuck around 2k and my ses light popped on. P0102. Could changing my spring cause this issue or was it just coincidence I see tons of threads of people changing out their springs and not having this issue. It's the tial qr recirc. I also have a k&n filter which I will be getting rid of and going with dry too.

Additional info;
When the MAF went the first time I had the original -11 spring in my tial. Any help would be awesome. Because I can't keep replacing this sensor every 2 weeks...($240/sensor)...
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:58 AM

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you checked the MAF wiring? Make sure the connector is not corroded. also check the MFI relay because the MAF runs off of that.

*edit* This is not the Evo X section BTW
Old Feb 14, 2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1UpMoto
Have you checked the MAF wiring? Make sure the connector is not corroded. also check the MFI relay because the MAF runs off of that.

*edit* This is not the Evo X section BTW
Whoops it was meant to be. Thanks for the good looks...probably why no ones really responded

Last edited by Shane Anderson; Feb 14, 2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 05:53 PM

I've heard of wet filters causing some MAF sensor issues on other vehicles when too much oil has been applied. Not really sure as I haven't ran one yet, but something to look into maybe?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can only repeat what I said in your previous thread. Is your air-filter over-oiled? Have you checked the MAF's plug.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I can only repeat what I said in your previous thread. Is your air-filter over-oiled? Have you checked the MAF's plug.
Ya I checked the plug and no corrosion. All I can think is that the air filter was over oiled. When I bought the car it had the filter installed and it may have been over oiled from the previous owner. Either way I am going to remove it to at least take that out of the equation. And also install a prescreen filter because of the placement of the intake. Do you know if anything else would contribute to a premature fail?
In the near future I will also be purchasing the relay kit too
Old Feb 15, 2014, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

In general, they are only killed by advanced age, oil and other junk, or being wired up incorrectly. When you take it out, very gently wipe a Q-tip along the front side. If you pick up oil - especially that nasty, red, K&N oil - then a certain guy with "rex" in his screen-name owes me an apology. Otherwise, given that this is the second one for you in short time, I'd be looking at the wiring more closely. For all we know, your first one was fine, but you have a loose wire somewhere.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 05:08 AM
Evolving Member

My '08 went through 2 maf's in a very short time also. I'd say maybe a month. I didn't have an oiled filter either, i was running an hks panel filter in the stock airbox. Never did figure out why, but it didn't happen again. Perhaps the new part was bad?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:19 PM

It is very possible of getting bad parts right out of the box... Happens to me at work very often.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
In general, they are only killed by advanced age, oil and other junk, or being wired up incorrectly. When you take it out, very gently wipe a Q-tip along the front side. If you pick up oil - especially that nasty, red, K&N oil - then a certain guy with "rex" in his screen-name owes me an apology. Otherwise, given that this is the second one for you in short time, I'd be looking at the wiring more closely. For all we know, your first one was fine, but you have a loose wire somewhere.

LOL... Regardless his maf worked for a little bit of time. Cleaning it does not Bring it back to life magicly.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Welcome to the top of my S list. No-one has said that cleaning a dead MAF will "bring it back to life." I've said that cleaning a MAF that is giving bad readings because it is covered in gunk might make it start working properly again (and is worth trying before spending uber dollars on a new MAF), and I have suggested that checking the MAF for gunk, including filter oil, will provide useful diagnostic information. Finally, I have reminded folks that the MAF's wiring harness' plug is known to be a problem on Evo Xs. But if folks want to follow your approach of throwing new MAFs at the car every few weeks, rather than figure out what's causing them to fail, I won't stand in their way.