Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Down pipe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Down pipe

got myself an AMS widemouth down pipe. Putting it on tomorrow, so I wanted to ask a few questions to people who have aftermarket down pipes. What is the best way to approach taking the stock one off and putting the new one on? You guys encounter any problems doing this and if so, what were they? Trying to make this as easy as possible and take the least amount of time
Old Jun 28, 2014, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Do you have an upgraded turbo? If not you may want to skip the downpipe, it's a bit different than say a Subaru where that was 'the mod' to do asap. Doesn't seem like these cars respond to that change without a large power add.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Do you have an upgraded turbo? If not you may want to skip the downpipe, it's a bit different than say a Subaru where that was 'the mod' to do asap. Doesn't seem like these cars respond to that change without a large power add.
no i do not, it might be something i want to do in the future though. I already have a few mods its not like this is my first mod or anything
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw people say it was a pain in the butt.....But me and 2 friends did my turbo back exhaust in less then 30 mins..This was before the car was even a week old soo everything was easy to take off......You should have no issues.

Right tools and a lift will help making it easy also.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by elkazX
got myself an AMS widemouth down pipe. Putting it on tomorrow, so I wanted to ask a few questions to people who have aftermarket down pipes. What is the best way to approach taking the stock one off and putting the new one on? You guys encounter any problems doing this and if so, what were they? Trying to make this as easy as possible and take the least amount of time
use a lot of penetrating lube spray on all the bolts. Let is soak for several hours before trying to remove the bolts.

have a lot of extensions, universal joints

A friend to help would be nice. Took me like 5 hours to do my downpipe and that was by myself using a life. if you dont have access to a life, you really are gonna need a friend helping so the job doesnt take forever.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by antyoo
use a lot of penetrating lube spray on all the bolts. Let is soak for several hours before trying to remove the bolts.

have a lot of extensions, universal joints

A friend to help would be nice. Took me like 5 hours to do my downpipe and that was by myself using a life. if you dont have access to a life, you really are gonna need a friend helping so the job doesnt take forever.
Yeah my buddy is gonna help me out. We're gonna do it in an hour or so, I'll let you guys know how it goes
Old Jun 28, 2014, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by elkazX
Yeah my buddy is gonna help me out. We're gonna do it in an hour or so, I'll let you guys know how it goes
Lol, lots of luck! I did the ams downpipe on my old 2011 Evo on a stock turbo, and it did nothing and took 6 hrs with a lift and help. For my 2014, I got the cobb downpipe which doesn't replace the O2 housing and when I get it tuned I'll let you know how it compares.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:38 PM

do you have to get the car retune after this mod?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dandbest
Lol, lots of luck! I did the ams downpipe on my old 2011 Evo on a stock turbo, and it did nothing and took 6 hrs with a lift and help. For my 2014, I got the cobb downpipe which doesn't replace the O2 housing and when I get it tuned I'll let you know how it compares.
Yeah it took 6 hours for me also with a friend. My car sounds a lot deeper and I love it. Getting a good tune on it Tuesday so let's see where that puts me. let me know what the Cobb one does man!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aerojacket
do you have to get the car retune after this mod?
You don't have to, but it's always better to tune/retune your car after you put a new mod in. I'm getting it retuned on Tuesday
Old Jun 30, 2014, 06:21 PM

Should've got the dump
Old Jul 1, 2014, 04:50 AM

Open dump is the only way to go!!! Loo
Old Jul 9, 2014, 02:55 PM

it should sound really nice, but definitely do the turbo upgrade in your future